Options

Muench Workshops -- Sitka, Alaska -- August 2010

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 28, 2010
    Thanks for this information.

I think this is a topic we may want to explore further.

Does everyone have a raincoat for their camera and lens, for example?

The forecast for the next 10 days, lists highs in the range of high 50s to low 60s, with lows in the 50s. I imagine the humidity will be very high, hence the reason for polypro underwear when the sun is not shining.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    paparosspapaross Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Raincoat for cameras & lenses. Great thought! I found this at B&H. At this price I bought a couple of packs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=583456&is=REG
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Believe this would be a question for Marc or Andy. With 8 to 10 photographers on the boat, will there be enough deck room for all those tripods, or will we be hand holding? I ask because I am thinking of bringing a Wimberley Sidekick for this part of the trip.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    I should have said tripods AND/OR monopods
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    papaross wrote: »
    Believe this would be a question for Marc or Andy. With 8 to 10 photographers on the boat, will there be enough deck room for all those tripods, or will we be hand holding? I ask because I am thinking of bringing a Wimberley Sidekick for this part of the trip.
    Won't be using tripod on the boat - but we may do landings so I expect you'll want it in/attached to your bag.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Thanks for this information.

I think this is a topic we may want to explore further.

Does everyone have a raincoat for their camera and lens, for example?

The forecast for the next 10 days, lists highs in the range of high 50s to low 60s, with lows in the 50s. I imagine the humidity will be very high, hence the reason for polypro underwear when the sun is not shining.

Hello Jim

In Alaska I have found that little keeps you dry in heavy and steady rain except rubber. However, that does not breath so you end up drowning in your own sweat. I will be wearing long sleeve poly shirts below a gortex parka. I will also have a knit hat and some NF windstopper gloves. As for keeping the rain off the equip, Dan and I agree that the best is to hide under some shelter when it comes down heavy, and whip out the cameras in drizzle if need be. I keep a plastic glad bag handy for temp cover. I have never found a good rain cover for all my gear that is versatile and lightweight, that I have the patience to manage. I will also have my usual chamois cloths to wipe off moisture from my camera and lens.

Time to start getting excitedclap.gif
  • Options
    TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2010
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2010
    I'm in Seattle waiting for plane to Sitka :D
    See you guys tomorrow! wave.gif
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Andy,

I hope you brought your rain gear since it is suppose to rain all week :cry
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    Everyone's having a blast! Been out on the boats every day for a few days now, shooting whales, puffins, otters, seals, salmon, fisherman, other boats, amazing scenery. No time to process yet, but we'll be posting pics soon thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    100 GB of pictures so far. 2 days to go. Have run out of backup space. It's Sunday. Hope something is open in Sitka. Still 2 days to go. Too many terrific future photos to have to stop now.
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Everyone's having a blast! Been out on the boats every day for a few days now, shooting whales, puffins, otters, seals, salmon, fisherman, other boats, amazing scenery. No time to process yet, but we'll be posting pics soon thumb.gif

You're so close to us yet so far....hope you are enjoying Alaska.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    Sitka has happened!

I now have a new favorite place. Jumping Humpback Whales, Salmon, and minks in all directions. The workshop was held from Aug 20th through the 25th in and around the town of Sitka located on Baranof Island Alaska. The seas were dead calm making it possible to delight in the oceanic experience in and around many of the little Spruce covered islands just off shore, tucked under the towering glacial covered peaks beyond. Everyone's only complaint was that they were running out of hard drive spacerolleyes1.gif

990401450_psMEa-L.jpg

Left to right - Me, Sitka Dan & Janet Evans, Jim & Kathy Pickrell, Fred Weinert, Dan Thorp, Andy Williams, Ross Peebles, Chris Roberts.

990401251_D6vqe-L.jpg
    Our fearless leader and pal Niva!

990401254_wfv65-L.jpg
    Despite all the weather forecasters, the sun did shinedeal.gif

989064255_t4QPx-L.jpg
    and the Puffins danced:ivar

988735845_P3oe2-L.jpg
    Back on land we visited the magical totems in the mist.

990401324_RWPRE-L.jpg
    after hours of jumping whales everyone gets tiredheadscratch.gif

990401404_bQmRs-L.jpg
    Not so tired that we did not shoot in the dark, Ross on the bridgeeek7.gif

990401433_VnM2e-L.jpg
    Dan Thorp stopping to model in a rustic outdoor scene for the Lands End Catalog.

990401406_iNYhB-L.jpg
    Captain Dan Evans dropping a few folks off on one of many unnamed islands.

990401360_u2sUh-M.jpg
    photographers in the mist
    990401410_Kto7t-M.jpg

990401417_f5gVt-L.jpg
    Giant logs with faces Oh my! Jim will use anything for a tripod :D

990401347_FY9tM-L.jpg
    Some Salmon being caught for our dinning pleasure.

One cloudy afternoon Dan mentioned it might be a good idea to head up to Harbor Mountain since there could be a break through the clouds and the view across the harbor would be spectacular.
    990401451_9hzCg-M.jpg
    When we arrived there was much cloudiness. But soon we were all running for the view at which time the sun broke through for some spectacular Alaskan landscape photography.

988649760_JTBTg-XL.jpg

Sitka is an amazing place full of good spectacular scenery, wildlife and wonderful people. I hope to visit again soon.

I will be posting my post processing method for this shot soon, as I know several of you were standing next to me and wanted to know how it would come out.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010

988649760_JTBTg-XL.jpg
    eek7.gifhuhclap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 1, 2010
    988649760_JTBTg-XL.jpg
    Wow! bowdown.gif

It looks like you had a blast. Hopefully one day I'll make it to Alaska, too. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Wow! bowdown.gif

It looks like you had a blast. Hopefully one day I'll make it to Alaska, too. :D

Ana

I'm hoping you'll make it on one our workshops thumb.gif You're an amazing landscape photographer and I could learn from you, too!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wow Marc, re the photo of Dan and Niva. I don't remember you climbing a tree to take it. In fact, there weren't any trees.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Wow Marc, re the photo of Dan and Niva. I don't remember you climbing a tree to take it. In fact, there weren't any trees.

Hey Ross

It was taken while levitating:D
    actually during the post shoot from a nice rock.........
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Exquisite Marc ... love those natural Bonsai Trees..........that mist made the photos absolutely magikal!!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    988649760_JTBTg-XL.jpg
    Wow!! bowdown.gifclap Sitka looks like a wonderful place, and it looks like ya'll had a great time! Someday I'll make it to Alaska.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    991922963_zUyBz-L.jpg

Everyone on the trip should remember passing this yacht in the harbor the 1st day. Just for fun, I googled and found this: http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=myblue-moon-3387
    To Andy, & Marc: We can rent this for a week, and go ANYWHERE, for a discount price of $475,000.
    If you think that might me be a little too much, I bet we could rent this "SHIP?" for a lot less!:D

988429830_HQgPj-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010

Everyone on the trip should remember passing this yacht in the harbor the 1st day. Just for fun, I googled and found this: http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=myblue-moon-3387
    To Andy, & Marc: We can rent this for a week, and go ANYWHERE, for a discount price of $475,000.
    If you think that might me be a little too much, I bet we could rent this "SHIP?" for a lot less!:D

lol3.gif Awesome
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Breathtaking. I better start saving my pennies....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    991922963_zUyBz-L.jpg

988429830_HQgPj-L.jpg

clap.gifroflThat is too funny but I think Dan's boat worked out pretty wellbowdown.gif
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 2, 2010
    I'm hoping you'll make it on one our workshops thumb.gif You're an amazing landscape photographer and I could learn from you, too!
    Don't make me blush, Andy. :D There's a lot more I could learn from you. bowdown.gif So when are you coming to Slovenia? mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Just thought of something that I think would make it easier for those of us that didn't go to find all the threads by those that did. If you start a thread of your photos from this trip could you leave a link in this one? I already discovered that this thread in landscapes is about the same trip as this one http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=177033 in Journeys. If different ones are scattered all over some could easily be missed by those of us wanting to see as much as possible of what happened.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Jane B. wrote: »
    Just thought of something that I think would make it easier for those of us that didn't go to find all the threads by those that did. If you start a thread of your photos from this trip could you leave a link in this one? I already discovered that this thread in landscapes is about the same trip as this one http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=177033 in Journeys. If different ones are scattered all over some could easily be missed by those of us wanting to see as much as possible of what happened.
    As best we can, we'll be linking thread in the first post in THIS thread.

Thanks!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Jane B. wrote: »

My Bad....you are absolutely right. All my pictures of the Sitka trip that I have processed are on my site --> Sitka, Alaska thumb.gif

The journey post is just what I do every time I go on a photo trip.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote: »
    My Bad....you are absolutely right. All my pictures of the Sitka trip that I have processed are on my site --> Sitka, Alaska thumb.gif

The journey post is just what I do every time I go on a photo trip.ne_nau.gif
    It's not your bad at all, Dan. We've taken Jane's request and we're linking stuff in post #1 all the threads posted on Dgrin.

YOU did nothing wrong, Dan :D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    It's not your bad at all, Dan. We've taken Jane's request and we're linking stuff in post #1 all the threads posted on Dgrin.

YOU did nothing wrong, Dan :D

:whew Thank goodness lol3.gif