first postings

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Been lurking on and off for a couple years, figured it was time to post a couple shots. Recognize a couple faces/handles on this site from other forums.

#1 Rutledge Falls, Manchester, TN Last winter, shot with canon 5d and sigma 24-70 ex dg f2.8

436596510_KKZAy-L.jpg

#2 Upper Greeter Falls, Savage Gulf, TN early spring 2008 shot with 20D and same lens as above

526466265_PtTrc-L.jpg

#3 Midnight Moonlight, Tims Ford Lake right before midnight. This one was kind of fun, it was on an early in the relationship date a little over a year ago with my now fiancee. 30sec exposure with the 5d

589002508_98MCr-L.jpg

#4 Fall colors, last fall at Grundy Lakes, Tracy City, TN shot with 5d

526475826_Sw287-L.jpg

#5 and one more waterfall (I LOVE shooting waterfalls) Milk Sick Creek, this spring, MSSA, TN shot with 5d

545098633_Ey2qP-L.jpg

My love is shooting landscapes, sell at a several galleries in my neck of the woods. Do a good bit of concert photography (actually used to do this alot, will post some stuff at another time) and do portraiture work as well. Guess I am fairly well rounded, actually shooting my first wedding in October. Learned a lot from this community and been enjoying my smug mug pro account...never enough time to process the seemingly endless backlog of landscapes shot.

Jon

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    You've got some beautiful shots here! Great!
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I like #2 the best, I think it is very well composed and you did a great job with the exposure. my only suggestion would be to increase the contrast a tad, boost the exposure of everything but the white falls, and just a touch more saturation of the greens. well done thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    2nd, 4th, 5th mwink.gifwink

Great job
    Been lurking on and off for a couple years,

eek7.gifhuh

Welcome !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate the welcome and the feedback. I'll post some more over this weekend.

edit to add:

Originally I wasn't happy with #2 and processed it as a black and white. Framed a few prints of it as a B&W. In the past few months I was moving files around and went back through this folder and decided to do a little PS in color and found a renewed interest in this shot and liked it better this time around in color.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Hi Jon and welcome! I'm so glad you decided to delurk because you obviously have some great luck and knowledge with your equipment and your surroundings. This is a great sample of not only what you know but what your settings give you around the year. Just gorgeous! :D
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate the welcome and the feedback. I'll post some more over this weekend.

edit to add:

Originally I wasn't happy with #2 and processed it as a black and white. Framed a few prints of it as a B&W. In the past few months I was moving files around and went back through this folder and decided to do a little PS in color and found a renewed interest in this shot and liked it better this time around in color.

IMO I really do like the composition of #2 the best, I just think it is a little flat and needs some pop, more like #5, although with a tad less saturation of the greens. You could probably do a quick white balance to add a little warmth and boost the greens a little with a hue/saturation layer. You obviously have a good eye for photos and look forward to seeing more of your workthumb.gif
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    IMO I really do like the composition of #2 the best, I just think it is a little flat and needs some pop, more like #5, although with a tad less saturation of the greens. You could probably do a quick white balance to add a little warmth and boost the greens a little with a hue/saturation layer. You obviously have a good eye for photos and look forward to seeing more of your workthumb.gif

These are really lovely shots. I agree with the comments re #2, the composition is great, but it could use more pop.

Overall, I like #3 the most, I guess because I like lonely night shots. Looking at it, I keep thinking it would be great for an album cover for something from the European label ECM. Like the next release from the Tord Gustavsen trio.

My only thought re #3 is that I would like it better if the moon weren't so close to the edge of the frame. If it were roughly symmetric with its reflection in the water, which I like very much, it might feel more balanced.
  • gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Great shots, all of them. But I keep going back to #3 as my favorite.
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Lovely shots. Great blues in that number 3 clap.gifclap.gif
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com