Ch #42 - Is this worthy?

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited July 2, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I shot this this AM at dawn through the window of my back door. Hand-held in completely manual mode (depending on live histogram and the LCD image). The only post was cropping, resizing for the web and very slight USM on the reduced image.

45559026.jpg

1/50s f/4.0 at 28.0mm +1.7X Tele iso100
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    I think the frame helps this shot but it could be more effective. You may want to try using a small aperture with a tripod to get better depth of field. Also, I'd recommend cloning out that wayward branch on the lower right.

The moon looks great though.

Erich
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Ill second that. The colors work very well though, very pleasing and serene to my mind :D
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    I love moon photos, but the grain distracts me. if you could blur away the grainy look to the sky by adding a second layer, blur it, and then erase away the blurred moon and branches, I think the photo would look more crisp and clear. thumb.gif
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 2, 2005
    agree with pur. the grain distracts from the cool serenity of this composition - not bad for a handheld manual grab of the moon though.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Thanks... and revised picture...
    DoctorIt wrote:
    agree with pur. the grain distracts from the cool serenity of this composition - not bad for a handheld manual grab of the moon though.
    Thanks very much for the feedback erich6, hesaias, purified and DoctorIt. Actually, I had already cleaned up the sky and had the new version in PBase. Unfortulately, replaced images take forever to be reflected in a linked site so I had to upload a second version of the shot to another gallery. I have also cloned out the stray branch and tried to sharpen up the frame a bit.

The frame being OOF was planned, though. I thought that the frame being OOF would encourage the eye to focus more on the moon - the real subject of the shot.

Thanks again for your feedback, all. I truly do appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback, and do give every one serious consideration.

45599059.jpg
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50