Kaysee~Terre Haute Senior Session

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in People
We had a wonderful time looking for places to do her session. It was kind of a "wing it" session....we would drive around and see something cool and pull over. I love photographing Seniors...they make me feel young/and sometimes old though too. ROFL

628302415_W2Wsc-L-1.jpg
628305677_Q9mp5-L-1.jpg
630299445_gFHKk-L.jpg
630769218_ddexN-L.jpg
638283497_NPqbV-L.jpg
638285174_aW4X2-L.jpg
638292291_Yvsxo-L.jpg
638361637_EK7jP-L.jpg
638363281_zqr6a-L.jpg
638356316_PahVR-L.jpg

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Nice pics. Well done. Terre Haute, as in Indiana? I spent four years there at Rose-Hulman.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Nice pics. Well done. Terre Haute, as in Indiana? I spent four years there at Rose-Hulman.
    That's the place. :)

Thanks.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I like seeing your work. Nice series. thumb.gif
    3,5,7,9 are my faves (perhaps because I'm a bit odd?), though in general, I like them all.

On 1 I like the pose, but her shirt has no contrast to it, so it becomes totally flat (at least at this end of the computer link).

Also like the composition on 2, but she looked very soft in the face, and my eye caught distracted by what looks like a line of cloning moving upward near the bg tree trunk.

4 is nicely done, but the concept didn't really do much for me -- perhaps it does for her, and that's what counts. Does she participate in some activity in that arena (which looks huge, by HS standards).

Love the play of her shirt against the grafitti in 6. Not sure why this didn't register as a favorite.

Liked the composition of 8, but her hand seems like the most-lit feature.

10 fell into that too much wilderness, too little subject area that I often find myself. I'm not sure if there is a great solution unless the image is meant to be 12x18 or something where she'll be taking up so significant square inches on her own. I don't know if there is a rule of thumb on % of total image the subject should fill for these types of pictures.

Bear in mind, I don't do any of this professionally, so this is just my personal take on them. Thanks for sharing since I certainly learn a lot looking at how your shots are composed.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 3, 2009
    You just keep getting better, Julie!

Your skin tones and color balance look spot on!

I have two questions.

First, how did you handle your color balance in #3, with her laying in the grass in the big green reflector?

And where is that wall with the graffiti?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    You just keep getting better, Julie!

Your skin tones and color balance look spot on!

I have two questions.

First, how did you handle your color balance in #3, with her laying in the grass in the big green reflector?

And where is that wall with the graffiti?
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate your comment and encouragement. For #3...I use spot metering, could that be the reason the skin tone and balance look good? I also use the trick found here on dgrin for correcting the blue and red in the skin tones. Other than that, I didn't knowingly do anything else. ne_nau.gif

For the wall, it's a bridge in West Terre Haute. I couldn't tell you how to get there though as her mom drove us. It had the smell of fresh graffiti....rolleyes1.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    7 & 9 are my favorites of the bunch....nice job.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hey Julie,

Some very nice captures here. How many locations do you normally do for a Senior shoot?

Best,
    Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited September 3, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Hey Julie,

Some very nice captures here. How many locations do you normally do for a Senior shoot?

Best,
    Randy

You all will think I'm crazy, but I will go to as many locations as long as they are willing. I told the mom that I'm trying to stick to 2 hours, but find that as long as the model/client is up for it and I am too...I can shoot for 3 hours. But this is including drive time though. This past Sunday I photographed her boyfriend and he was so not into it. So, for him, I shot him in about 1 1/2 hr at 2 locations.

For hers, I think we shot at her house, the school, an open field, found that bridge so had to stop there and St. Mary's of the Woods College. We started at 5 and were done around 7:30, so just a little over 2 hours.
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hey, I graduated from ISU. Go Sycamores!
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    You all will think I'm crazy, but I will go to as many locations as long as they are willing.
    If it turns into more sales its not crazy. :)
    St. Mary's of the Woods College
    Ah, more memories of my college days at RHIT. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited September 4, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    If it turns into more sales its not crazy. :)

They get a 7x7 blurb book with all their images in it, so I love being able to give them lots of images. Of course, it helps me too because it's my own personal walking business card. They show their friends...etc. :D
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Wonderful series! I especially like the lighting.