hot summer day

toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited September 6, 2009 in People
New to the forum and am self-teaching in photography and photoshop. Would love to hear C&C of this shot taken after a long, hot day of play in the summer and sitting down to enjoy an ice pop. Shot with an older Nikon D50...boosted the contrast in CS4.

638536962_Yd6AX-L-1.jpg

Comments

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    i have to say that there's something i really like about it. I think it's the eye... adults' eyes just don't have that kind of clarity that children's eyes have and you captured that very well.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I also love this image. Love the processing. I just love the way is staring down the camera....it pulls me in
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Love the single razor sharp eye, dirty face, mop of hair and still trying to suck that last bit of nectar from the ice pop. Beauty!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I like it! I can't really say why.... a little too centered for my taste and I might have left a little more of the arm in the picture. I don't care for crops at joints (the wrist in this case) but I like it! Good clarity, nice conversion and sparkly eye. Keep up the good work!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 3, 2009
    perfection - pure and simple. nicely done thumb.gif
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Great capture
    I love this shot, the first thing that grabs my eye is her Eye. I don't mind the crop at the wrist as it is looking like it is just above the joint. and the eye is so captivating.
    Dean
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I'd try cropping it as a vertical. The bright white background draws attention away from her eye. Other than that, I love it!

Tina
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Oh wow. Even dirty and messed up hair she is beautiful. Love the shot. Would love to see some color shots of her eyes. They are gorgeous even in B & W. What a great shot!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • alanyanalanyan Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2009
    The eye, catch my eyes.
    Full of expectation
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I love it, it speaks to me of photo journalism, kids living in a tough world.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    thanks
    Thanks for all the nice comments -- and the advice. I really like the idea of a vertical crop to take out the bright white (or most of it).

I tried it in color, but it just didn't feel quite as dramatic. I'm not a big fan of the selective color, but my brother reworked this photo so only the color of the eye is showing and it did look kind of cool. But to me there has to be a reason to do something like that.

The crop on the joint -- I see what you're saying. Like I said -- I'm learning the craft and self-teaching so I appreciate the advice on not cropping on the joints. I hadn't learn that rule. I like it.

Anyway -- thanks for the comments. Just trying to learn the craft and really enjoy the community on this forum.
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    toddb wrote:
    New to the forum and am self-teaching in photography and photoshop. Would love to hear C&C of this shot taken after a long, hot day of play in the summer and sitting down to enjoy an ice pop. Shot with an older Nikon D50...boosted the contrast in CS4.

638536962_Yd6AX-L-1.jpg
    I LOVE this pic.. I love how she looks dirty greasy and like she's been playing outside all day long like kids do and stopped to eat an ice pop! GREAT PIC!
    Courtney