Blurring Technic

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in Technique
Hi All:
Could some one point me some where i can learn how to do some blurring ...I would really appreciate it
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    Panning? Aperture? Focus and DOF? Filters on camera? Filters in Photoshop?

What, precisely, are you wanting to do, Eddy?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Hi All:
    Could some one point me some where i can learn how to do some blurring ...I would really appreciate it

There is an old uni acquaintance of mine who is into this - www.simonjauncey.com. Maybe he wants to give you some tips or you get some ideas.

I suppose the basics of the technique are slow shutter speeds and/or moving the camera. Oh, and a blast from the past, smear the front of the lens with vaseline. Not really my thing.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    Ah yes, I forgot about the old ways - vaseline on the lens, nylon hose stretched across the front of the filter threads with a hole in the center of the threads, vaseline on a UV filter might be better, etc.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Hi Golden & Path:
    I would like to use either some sort of filters ...reason is i am going to the Air show on Monday which is in Toronto..first time for this and i would liek to be well prepared for what i want to do...in PSwhen /If i need to do soem psot processing
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    Rather than Vaseline, I suggest KY jelly on a filter. It is water soluble and, if it gets on anything else, it's easily removed. It will dry fairly quickly but some glycerin mixed in will help to keep it fresh.

You can get a similar effect using plastic food wrap over the front of a lens or filter. Use as many layers as required for the effect. You can trim away the center with scissors by bunching the center of the wrap and then clipping away as much of the bunch as required.

A very similar effect can be done with more control digitally in software. Here is a tutorial of a nice technique in PhotoShop:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/soft-focus-lens/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    thanks guys much appreciated and great advice as usuall
    Regards:\\Eddy
    E.J.W