My First Family Portraits

MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in People
I'd love some C&C, tips for future, etc. All are available light, only - which is how I'd like to keep it. Strobes have their place, but I've always been a sucker for natural light.

I made a few rookie DoF mistakes, and I need to work on giving direction when I'm shooting adults. I'd prefer to keep younger kids strictly candid, but adults are too aware. I managed to sneak a couple of unguarded moments. Anyway, here goes...

The mom wanted to involve this tree in their side yard - they use it for pics of their kids every year.

1. This is my favorite from the day.
638477672_7qyCQ-L.jpg

638478187_xyBDJ-L.jpg

638496499_m4J5b-L.jpg

638656556_GXASn-L.jpg

5. Little sis pounced on big sis, then promptly managed to look like a complete angel. :D At least they were having fun!
638756082_gKTP4-L.jpg

638755980_ZjwGf-L.jpg

One of those DoF mistakes, dammit. I'd love this, otherwise. :(
638310732_s6bjA-L-1.jpg

638781917_acehU-L.jpg

9. One of my favorites...
638789930_ry8DK-L.jpg

Don't be gentle!

Comments

• photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I'm on an uncalibrated monitor at the moment, so I can't contribute in that regard, unfortunately. But otherwise, here goes:

#1 - Love it. Love the expression; seems very typical for that age. I just wish that leaf wasn't in the way of the top of her head... but I'm not sure you could've fixed that by moving without getting the other leaves in undesired spots.

#2 - Okay, trees just beg to grow out of heads, don't they? That's the first thing I see with this one; there's a nice big branch attached to the girl. Shallow DOF would help here, but only so much -- better to be avoided in the first place. That said, I'm not sure how avoidable it would be, since mom wanted the tree to be used? A few degrees movement in any direction would've probably put another branch growing out of someone else's head. Oh, Dad has an "odd" expression on his face. Us adults can sure be stiff at times, can't we? His hand up on the branch is a bit distracting, too. Mom's angle doesn't help her neck -- she's very pretty, but her neck here is looking a tad bit stretched.

#3 - I like this - mostly the candid expressions, because otherwise there's that tree growing out of her shoulders. Okay - last time I'll harp on it... lol!

#4 - Nice setting. A bit stiff. Are they facing the light? They seem to be squinting just a tad. And Dad and that white shirt? That's going to throw your meter for a loop... I think his arm would be better if it were hugging her as well. Also, mom looks like she's leaning a bit backwards - which she probably is, but it looks a bit uncomfortable.

#5 - I think this may be my 2nd fav. Of course she comes out looking like an angel! That's what little sisters were made for! (Me, being the older sister. Yes, I probably need therapy... lol!) Now, if only you could have also caught the pouncing! (Thus proving who did what! ;-) )

#6 - Very nice. More DOF would be even better. Might need to watch your rule of 3rds here; her eyes seem nearly on center; so the composition on this one might be improved by adjusting your crop...

#7 - I'd like to see kitty more involved in this one. The girl on the left looks really nice, but something is just off about the one on the right - the pose, I think... not sure.. can't quite put my finger on it. Is she in mid-movement?

#8 - Yes, this one works, except for the girl next to mom. Her expression doesn't look right.

#9 - is the best. I like the laughter, the expressions, and they look like they are having fun.

I'd really have liked to seen a more shallow depth-of-field in all of these. That's hard when you're focused about getting people in focus, I know, but the background in many of the pics can be distracting.

Also, I know you don't like flash, but just a really tiny, tiny little bit of flash could help a bit. You don't have to use a lot, but fill flash doesn't have to be unnatural, and can help bring out your catchlights a bit more.

All that aside, fantastic job. They look like they were a fantastic, fun-loving family, and I'm sure they will be absolutely pleased with these.
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I personally don't have a problem with the trees "growing" out of their heads. They are in a tree with branches. It makes sense. If on the other hand,you'd managed to get the only light post in miles to "grow" out of someone's head in the middle of nowhere, well, that would be quite a bit different.

My only real issue is that in some photos, especially with the Blue Sis, the faces seem overly bright. Of course, this is all a matter of personal preference.

#5, big sis's face seems a bit blurred to me. Lil sis is pretty sharp though. Maybe DOF, or maybe big sis was moving too much?

#7, you already see the problem. It is a good shot otherwise though.
  • MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Thanks so much for the responses.

Photokandy, I think the "off" thing about the younger girl in #7 is probably the fist she's making - she's got kitty treats in her hand - I did at least get her to put the can of them down, though!

And yes, as you said, there's not much to be done about the tree limbs, or the leaf in the first one. Finding a clear spot to shoot through, while fitting the family in the frame was a challenge.

In #4 we were in the shade on the side of their house - no bright light around, but they had just been laughing, which may account for the squinting. I was sad about the white shirt, I ended up using spot metering for that very reason. In the future, I'll know to request that my subjects choose a different color. I learned so much just from this one shoot!

Thanks again for your detailed critique - it's always helpful.

InsuredDisaster, you're the second person to make the comment about the overly bright face, so I'm calling it legit. I'll tone them down - thank you!