Options

How Obsolete are YOU??

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited September 9, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
or more directly, your computer?

Now, three years into photography as a hobby, I've come to the point where I need to upgrade my home system to more adequately work on RAW and Tiff files. My current system is stable and I like it BUT the CPU just isn't up to heavy photo editing.

Anyway, with Win7 going RTM in October, it will be time to move so I'm looking at my current stuff and here's what has changed in the 4 years since I bought my non-gaming "state of the art" machine.

CPU = AMD running at 1.6Ghz, single core (OBSOLETE)
1MG in 2 DIMM Slots -- PC 2700 DDR SDRAM 184 pin 333 (OBSOLETE)
30 GB C: Drive -- grin.gif
320 GB E: Drive through IDE interface (IDE OBSOLETE)
AGP slot (OBSOLETE)
3 PCI slots (OBSOLETE)
VIA S3 Unichrome IGP -- OBSOLETE can't display 1680 x 1050
2 front USB 1.0 ports -- OBSOLETE
Power Supply 200w -- Inadequate now
4 USB 2.0 ports -- Still OK
4 USB 2.0 + 2 Firewire ports on a PCI card -- OBSOLETE??
120GB and 350 GB WD External Drives -- Still OK

Photoshop 7.0 - Obsolete but I love it and know it well. CS 4 upcoming
Various PS 7 Plugins -- To Be Seen
HP Photosmart 760 Printer - LOVE it but Win 7 huh.gif?
Visioneer 3200 Scanner -- Probably out of here.
DPP, EOS Utilities and Zoom Browser -- probably OK
LR2 - OK

Apparently the only thing with more obsolete components than me is my faithful Desktop.sad.gif

and You all?
<!-- / message -->
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I just built a new machine with componets from Tiger Direct and the MOB still had a single IDE connector for cd/dvd......I sent core 2 duo in the AMD line......for me mine is a screamer.....but my previous pc I had had for over 5yrs and it was purchased used and the retailer told me it was about 2 yrs old when I bought it.........it was a good workstation and just finally gave up the ghost in the last couple of weeks...........I pulled the 2 HDD's (C&D) and nw I need to hook up thru a dock to see what I can salvage off the drives then wipe em and sell em........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    My Mac Pro will be three years old in October. I still haven't stretched its capabilities. I have four internal hard drives, only 5 G of RAM, the ATI original upgraded video card, and a bunch of external backup storage, and a few scanners and printers attached.

I have over 40K images in Lightroom, and use current Photoshop tools when necessary. I also run Parallels and Windows XP, as well as access a corporate system via Citrix. I'm planning to upgrade to the latest Apple OS Snow Leopard between tonight and next Friday depending on my schedule.
    I expect to be served by this computer for another 2-3 years.

Life is good.

M
  • Options
    happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Actually, due a domino effect of electronics crashes, all the important electronics in our house, from laptops to desktops to tvs, microwaves, everything has pretty much all had to be replaced in the last year:lol:
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    I am about two years old on my personal hardware, so slightly obsolete. I also have not updated to CS4 for Adobe. I am also running Win XP Pro in virtual, so slightly still. However the tools still let me get my stuff done so it is all good.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I just built a new I7 system and I love it.

Intel Quad Core I7 920 2.66ghz $200
    MSI Platnum x58 Motherboard $220
    12GB DDR-3 Tripple Channel OCZ $200
    Western Digital Black 1TB $110
    Burner, case, PSU $150
    Recycled video and spare hard drive free

The I7 is so much faster than my old Xeon system with 8 cores. It really is night and day. Lightroom really flies now.

Ohhh I am running XP and Vista in virtual. The very latest Ubuntu 64 is my host OS.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures