The Mac Pro project Conclusion!

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Well after a ton of questions and a lot of research I have made my decision.

First I chose the Mac Pro because of the stable 64 bit operating system, and reputation, ability to add more RAM up to 32 GB, I can with the present confiuration add another 8 GB of RAM for $200.00. and betting the 8 cores can better ustilized with future releases of Adobe products. Although there is a premium to pay for the Mac, it isn't nearly as much as one might think if you buy a win machine with any where near the same computing power, and components.

Here is all the stuff on order. Mac Pro 8 core with 8 GB (4X2GB) RAM, ATI 4870 graphics card, airport card. I also bought the 3 year Apple care and one on one service.

I also ordered the following from OWC: One external two bay Icy Dock raid enclosure, one Voyager single disk (toaster) external drive, (3) 2 TB hard drives, ( 2 configured to raid 1 connected to computer, 1 rotated off site (1) 1 TB hard drive, ( to back up clone bootable OS and apps) (1) DVD burner with LightScibe, (4) 1TB fast internal hard drives. 1 for OS and apps, 1 scratch disk, (2) for data, images, set up in RAID 0 for max R/W speed.

I also ordered lightroom.

I am soo broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sharing my joy, and total abuse of my credit card.

:D:cry:D :scratch :barb :cry :D

Sam

Comments

• SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I went Mac a few months ago and my only regret is not doing it years ago!

It. Just. Works.

That's a lot of power and storage you're getting there! Have fun with it and be sure to give us a progress report!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Sam: my Mac Pro is in its' 4th year of service to me. It's never been powered off intentionally for other than a restart. I've upgrated RAM (most recently added 4 4gb sticks and have 20gb in the box) and Disk over the years. I have a RAID-5 1.5 TB and another 1.5 TB backup, all internal.

Couldn't be happier with the way this machine has performed for me!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I hope 3 years from now you are where I am currently, with a 3-year-old Mac Pro yet still feeling like it's my "new computer." Right now the thought of replacing it seems off in the distant future somewhere. There's so much upgrade potential still in this thing... The long service life should help amortize the high initial price.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    Welcome to the MacPro club Sam.

I only have 14 Gb Ram in mine, but it seems to work adequately just the same. I have about 8 Tb of storage scattered about inside and out.

Like Andy, I never power mine off unless I am going to be out of town.

It is dead quiet, I hardly ever hear it at all.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • R1200mikeR1200mike Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Just bought a MACPRO
    Well this makes mefeel even better ! I just bought a New (Old Stock) mac Pro. I dont have the info on me now but I hope it is everything I have heard on Macs. I have to use a Windows for Work but my MAC is for my Photography. I will buy mac for the house next year.