Options

Let me take you back

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited July 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
to the years between 1945 (shortly after VE day) to about 1949. Just recently I discovered these old photos and with the help of my friend JeffW I'm am able to share with all of you.

Dad was one of the men who was assigned to set up a radio relay station in Offenbach Germany (where I was born). These are some pictures from that period.

Dad is the guy with the Thompson. #1 is the Jeep my Mom and Dad met in and the one I was born in. :D. The last two are of a hunting trip so the people in town could have fresh meat. No Ralphs or guns for German nationals so the boys had to take care of that too.
26771013-L.jpg

Just goofing around you know boys will be boys, no matter what the year
26771033-L.jpg

That's my Mom but it's the dog in back I want to tell you about. That is a real (and one of the few) war dogs that survived thru the end of hostilities. The story has it that they were gonna put him down because he was far to vicious but my dad intervened and when I was born this dog (Quinne her name) guarded my baby carriage without fail. Guess I really have been around animals from day one :thumb
26771005-L.jpg

My dad playing horseshoes with the local boys (making freinds I hope :D). Check out those Leather shorts and bare feet. Oh yeah thats me in the baby carriage. Have no idea who the pretty ladies are or the boy on the side :dunno
26771016-L.jpg

The radio station crew circe 1949. Dad is second row third from the left

26771044-L.jpg

And finally Dad enjoyed Jimmy Durante and Al Jolson. I think this was his attempt and impersonating both :D
26771063-L.jpg

That's a rap for now. I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July.

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Wonderful story Ben.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Have a great 4thnod.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    great stuff, ben :D thanks so much for sharing and the well wishes...

i too, have done the same thing. i chronicled 100 years of my family in photographs, and have it all online for them on smugmug. i also made them into about 40 slideshows, set to music, and gave it to the family on the anniv of my mom's passing ... a really cool project and i encourage you to look into this sort of thing!

here's my old man, wwii, boys will be boys, eh lol3.gif

324785-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Ben

Thnxs for sharing this. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    Wonderful story Ben.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Have a great 4thnod.gif

Thank you John
    It was fun to do :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    to the years between 1945 (shortly after VE day) to about 1949. Just recently I discovered these old photos and with the help of my friend JeffW I'm am able to share with all of you.

Dad was one of the men who was assigned to set up a radio relay station in Offenbach Germany (where I was born). These are some pictures from that period.

Dad is the guy with the Thompson. #1 is the Jeep my Mom and Dad met in and the one I was born in. :D.
    Now I understand where the term "recreational vehicle" comes from!!! mwink.gif

Fantastic series and stories Ben. Thank you for sharing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    looks like a day well spent thumb.gif nice work . I did a book this xmas for Hunter shots from 3 to 12 [yes soft ones] but he still liked it thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Very cool set Ben - thanks for sharing with us!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    great stuff, ben :D thanks so much for sharing and the well wishes...

i too, have done the same thing. i chronicled 100 years of my family in photographs, and have it all online for them on smugmug. i also made them into about 40 slideshows, set to music, and gave it to the family on the anniv of my mom's passing ... a really cool project and i encourage you to look into this sort of thing!
    Thank you Andy
    It took my all day just to get this up and I checked your link, lots of work but worth it!! thumb.gif
    Not much of a family for me left (only child), but I think I might work up something similar. I do have more piccie of that period including my Father in Law. So thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Ben

Thnxs for sharing this. thumb.gif
    Your welcome, Buddy :D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Now I understand where the term "recreational vehicle" comes from!!! mwink.gif

Fantastic series and stories Ben. Thank you for sharing. thumb.gif
    Hi Angelo, hope your having a great 4th
    Never thought of that, good one :lol4, you think I can collect any royalities ne_nau.gif:D
  • Options
    lulalakelulalake Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Man, thanks so much for sharing these priceless photos. If it weren't for you're dad and his pals we might not be sharing this precious holiday.

Happy 4th and God bless.

Jules

(That shot with the accordan is unbelievably great!)
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2005
    lulalake wrote:
    Man, thanks so much for sharing these priceless photos. If it weren't for you're dad and his pals we might not be sharing this precious holiday.

Happy 4th and God bless.

Jules

(That shot with the accordan is unbelievably great!)
    My thoughts exactly as I was working on this post thumb.gif
    Thank you Jules for commenting
    Happy 4th to you and yours