#32 - Another bash

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited September 5, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
If I don't get time to do re-shoots...

"Topsy Turvy World" (I could maybe clone the reflection and crop it).

3863054618_f06c32f8c4_o.jpg

"Alot to Learn" (cropped)

3885958953_90976c82d7_o.jpg

"To the Death" (Home-made Shephards Pie made by my wonderful hubby. On the fork is... carrot, celery and mashed potato).

3887631647_c26102be6b_o.jpg
Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    I really like the Topsy-Turvy World. A crop could make it even stronger (or not).

If you are set on the Lot to Learn, you would need to get closer, I think. That would make the up angle more pronounced.

What is that on the fork? It looks like some sort of confection. It's a good picture, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as Topsy-Turvy. Blue is my favorite color, so the rich blue may bias me toward Topsy-Turvy.

Good work on all of them. clap.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Looking at Topsy-Turvey, you could just do the globe and skip the neighbor's house altogether. I'm trying to imagine that, but I think it could be very strong as you focus on the topsy-turvy world 100%.

Second one, I agree you need more 'perspective' here. I know you said you were already down low, but if you have a really wide angle lens, you could pull in and get the perspective, or shoot more axially along the bookcase (with the child in the main focus and the books looking to run out toward infinity).

Not grooving on the food one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    I feel that Topsy-Turvy World is your main contender. It's a great shot. The other shots are nice but not as strong on theme.

I took the liberty of playing with Topsy-Turvy World a bit. Try a horizontal crop on it with an 8x10 ratio and see how that sits with you. I also tried flipping it 180 degrees -- it looked interesting -- but definitely a matter of taste.
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Thanks guys.
    The change in composition worries me though.
    Here are a few of the changes...

3890034254_b3dcaf794a.jpg

3890034448_34f05d8b6e.jpg

3889241243_f697acdf19.jpg

3890034772_cc5b9c6ce2.jpg
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Allison -- go with your gut. :D Use our comments only as suggestions. In the end, you're the boss on what you decide to enter.

In seeing the side by side comparison I'm favoring #1. There's just enough of the building showing to let us know that's what's being reflected. Also we can now see nice detail in the reflection itself. thumb.gif
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Well. my gut is telling me number 1 too. And I am glad you can appreciate that I was trying to show what was being reflected.

I tried the 180 degree version just out of curiosity and thought it was pretty cool but my brain is telling me the globe looks wrong.

I am going to leave my reflection though because things like that DO have reflections and I also try to do as much "in-camera" as possible.
    Call me old fashioned, but I think skills "in-camera" are being lost in the digital age. Plus I don't think everyone is as photoshop savvy as others are.

I'm a happy bunny now thumb.gif
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will get the judges to delete my original entry.

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    #1. My idea was dumb... Works much better with the house there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site