Options

meaning of ISO?

travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 2, 2005 in Cameras
I know this is probably an incredibly dumb question, but what does ISO mean?
Thanks!
Catherine:dunno

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Its the film speed catherine. Remember back in the days when you bought a roll of 35mm film & it had number on it like 100 or 125 & you set the camera dial to that speed.

Thats why i love my 20D at ISO 3200. Makes the shutter go really fast in a dark room for example & the photo is still a keeper.

Gus ..whom really should not be answering even the most basic of tech questions.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Or you can read Phils explanation. Not as technical as mine but still good reading.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Good link, Gus, but hold back on the jargon, would you? naughty.gif

Trav, it's a way of making your camera more or less sensitive to light. A lower ISO means it's less sensitive. A higher ISO means it's more sensitive and is better suited for shooting in low-light situations.

On film cameras, as gus says, you had to change film to change ISO. On digi cameras, it's just a switch.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    I know this is probably an incredibly dumb question, but what does ISO mean?
    Thanks!
    Catherinene_nau.gif

As far as what ISO actually means, and how it related to the old ASA, I dug up a thread (click here) on Google. ISO and ASA were standards bodies that defined exposure standards.
  • Options
    travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Thanks for the help - now I can feel like I know a little bit!!

Catherine:):
    colourbox wrote:
    As far as what ISO actually means, and how it related to the old ASA, I dug up a thread (click here) on Google. ISO and ASA were standards bodies that defined exposure standards.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    I still say ASA. I guess it comes with age. I also think f/2.8 lenses are slow, and 400 speed film is fast. :D
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    I felt old the other day when I walked into the camera store to buy a pack of storage pages for negative filmstrips!