Sharp Focus (Front to Back)

elvisfridgeelvisfridge Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Technique
Sorry, New, Probably wrong place.
New, using 11-16mm DSLR, pictures of medium sized rooms (interiors), no central focus point, focussing on back wall, need better front/sides/back focus e.g. sharper.

Using small apertures / fast shutter / tripod + hand held.

Should I create a focus point, mid room, remove it and take shot to get better focus sides close and far.

Herlp really appreciated as am novice.
Thanks,
Fridge

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Sorry, New, Probably wrong place.
    New, using 11-16mm DSLR, pictures of medium sized rooms (interiors), no central focus point, focussing on back wall, need better front/sides/back focus e.g. sharper.

Using small apertures / fast shutter / tripod + hand held.

Should I create a focus point, mid room, remove it and take shot to get better focus sides close and far.

Herlp really appreciated as am novice.
    Thanks,
    Fridge
    Use www.dofmaster.com and calculate proper DOF. Then focus manually.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • elvisfridgeelvisfridge Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Use www.dofmaster.com and calculate proper DOF. Then focus manually.
    Yes thanks Nikolai. I gave that the once over. Also googled stuff and came up with Harold M Merklinger stuff about focussing on infinty etc.I did some test shots in my back yard which I would have liked to have posted as the results were interesting, but the KByte limit made this not possible.

Shots taken with EOS 1000D / Tokina 11-16mm / ISO 100 / Shutter on auto / Focussed manually at infinity / zoom at 11mm end. Space shot is about 20 meters deep by 10 meters wide. Chairs with magazines on were placed front L+R (about 1 1/2 metres away from camera in front corners of viewfinder) Mid L+R and a chair at the back of space, my garden, with a book stood up on it.

Focussed at infinity (Tokina at 11mm) at f2.8 gave blurred front corners, about 1 1/2 metres away from camera. As the aperture went up the corners and front to mid focus improved as you would expect.

Sharpness middle to back seemed to stay roughly the same from f5.6 onwards.

The lens seemed to have a sweet spot between f8 and f12.

The chair at the back (and a piece of wooden fence in the corner) seemed to decrease in sharpness and legibility from f16 - f22. Those f stops didnt seem to do much anyway.

My conclusions are that to get best front to back sharpness (with my set-up) for this kind of space is to focus manually to infinity, at 11mm end of lens, use a tripod with shutter on auto (camera on AV Mode aperture priority) ISO 100, and use an f stop of around f10. forget about the meter and a half in front of the camera.

It did raise some questions ( I am learning fast but am a novice in reality ) that I would appreciate advice on e.g.

Does all this look feaseable to the experienced photographer?

Should the chair and fence at the back of the space become less sharp around f16-f22?

Should the lens exhibit a sweet spot as suggested earlier?

Do the larger f stops come into play when shooting large distant scenes.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have or advice. As stated I have pics to back these thoughts up, what is best way to post them, many thanks. Fridge.bowdown.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Fridge,
    you're asking questions, but I see no pictures you're admittedly referring to.. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Dof
    See, with a film camera all this is easy as there are numbered dials on the lens barrel.

Think of DOF like your eye - it's a sphere (like a lens), so light hits it with more focus in the center, like shining a flashlight on a basketball. Brightest in center. You can experiment with your eye: put the forefinger and thumb tips of both hand together so there's a little peek-hole. Look through it with one eye very close. Look at something normally blurred. Squeeze the finger and thumb tips together slightly; it will look sharper. That's because you're focusing all the light on the sharpest area of the eye.

That's depth of field, the aperture (f-stops) being the finger-tips, and the lens of the camera your eye. So set the aperture as high as you can and find a shutter speed that corresponds for proper exposure within the focal range you have to keep in focus - which depends on size of the room and where you're shooting from. If you have a tripod, shutter-speeds won't be a real problem.

Since you don't have rings around the lens barrel, use a DOF chart for the focal range you want. AND: Use a chart for the size of the lens (i.e., 50mm, 28mm etc) you're using....think you said 16mm.

If all this sounds too complicated, experiment! Start with a mid-aperture, like f8. See what you get. You have a digital camera, you can shoot 500 shots and see what's the best; (DON'T shoot 500 shots, - I have a feeling you will and it's a joke. Shoot 5 to start with)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    It did raise some questions ( I am learning fast but am a novice in reality ) that I would appreciate advice on e.g.

Does all this look feaseable to the experienced photographer?
    Yes.
    Should the chair and fence at the back of the space become less sharp around f16-f22?
    Should the lens exhibit a sweet spot as suggested earlier?
    Yes. You are being defraction limited. Basically, there's a min-max function in play here. Your depth-of-field increases as the aperture decreases. At the same time, the effects of light defraction increase. Strangely enough, I was experimenting with this just about 2 hours ago with my EF 50mm f/1.4 and noticed a sweet spot at around the same point (f/8 through about f/11, actually). At f/22, the image was noticably softer.
    Do the larger f stops come into play when shooting large distant scenes.
    Larger f-stop (smaller apertures) are often used for landscape work. But, as noted above, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
    Please let me know any thoughts you may have or advice. As stated I have pics to back these thoughts up, what is best way to post them, many thanks. Fridge.bowdown.gif
    To post, see link in my signature.
    edited September 6, 2009
    noticed a sweet spot at around the same point (f/8 through about f/11,

Interesting. I have an old folder camera, no nothing: everything manual, no coupled rangefinder so distance is estimated, no light meter, no film advance (except your fingers winding).. BUT, a lens that's great: Zeiss.

Anyway, it has a red-dot at the "sweet spot", where aperture and focus are lined up to give and ideal DOF for the lens for most outdoor shooting needs. On a normal sunny day you also use a well-known (back then) 125 for shutter speed. And shoot all day without re-focusing (long as it's beyond 15' or so)
    And, it is a sweet, that spot! Think many folders of that type had that red indicator.

You may have stumbled on the same thing. I do know that opening a lens all the way can tend to give some distortion. So, maybe, avoid the extremes if possible and try to stick to mid-range apertures. (?)

(here's a shot with the folder: early 50's Zeiss Ercona, Zeiss Tessar Lens, 6x9 format (2 1/4" x 3 1/4")

33353380_niHLv-L-1.jpg
    edited September 6, 2009
    Pictures for Front To Back
    Nikolai wrote:
    Fridge,
    you're asking questions, but I see no pictures you're admittedly referring to.. ne_nau.gif
    eek7.gif Ok friends, just spent hours figuring out how to get my jpegs small enough to upload (couldnt get anywhere near your forums 147kb upload limit for jpegs) so this is the best I can do (please any info regarding downsizing files from raw to jpeg appreciated).

This is per original post at f2.8 f28m.th.jpg

f5.6 f56y.th.jpg

f8 49145055.th.jpg

f16 f16w.th.jpg

and f22 f22l.th.jpg

Also Front Lefts (crops) @ f2.8 f28.th.jpg

f5.6 f56.th.jpg

f10 f10.th.jpg

f16 f16bo.th.jpg

f22 f22v.th.jpg

Front right crops f2.6 f28c.th.jpg

f5.6 f56q.th.jpg

f10 f10rq.th.jpg

f16 f16x.th.jpg

f22 f22a.th.jpg

and finally and most interestingly (IMO?) The chair at the back

f2.8 f28.th.jpg

f5.6 f56.th.jpg

f10 f10o.th.jpg

f16 f16v.th.jpg

f22 f22w.th.jpg

that chair is seemed to be doing strange things between f14-22. (yes I took shots at all apertures and repeated the tests 3 times before adding the chairs, magazines and bits of wood in the middle. I appreciate its all a bit heath robinson but your feedback is welcome
    Thanks,
    fridge.
    edited September 6, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    See, with a film camera all this is easy as there are numbered dials on the lens barrel.

Think of DOF like your eye - it's a sphere (like a lens), so light hits it with more focus in the center, like shining a flashlight on a basketball. Brightest in center. You can experiment with your eye: put the forefinger and thumb tips of both hand together so there's a little peek-hole. Look through it with one eye very close. Look at something normally blurred. Squeeze the finger and thumb tips together slightly; it will look sharper. That's because you're focusing all the light on the sharpest area of the eye.

That's depth of field, the aperture (f-stops) being the finger-tips, and the lens of the camera your eye. So set the aperture as high as you can and find a shutter speed that corresponds for proper exposure within the focal range you have to keep in focus - which depends on size of the room and where you're shooting from. If you have a tripod, shutter-speeds won't be a real problem.

Since you don't have rings around the lens barrel, use a DOF chart for the focal range you want. AND: Use a chart for the size of the lens (i.e., 50mm, 28mm etc) you're using....think you said 16mm.

If all this sounds too complicated, experiment! Start with a mid-aperture, like f8. See what you get. You have a digital camera, you can shoot 500 shots and see what's the best; (DON'T shoot 500 shots, - I have a feeling you will and it's a joke. Shoot 5 to start with)
    ne_nau.gif Thanks for the descriptive explanation. Have you read the Harold M Kerklinger stuff, is it known to be unfounded? It suggests that a lot of the theory regarding dof is unfounded or inaccurate. I would welcome any feedback on this. It does seem to hold some water, but I am a novice. How would I have gone about my garden test (poor as it was), which charts would you suggest are suitable for a beginner, my camera and my lense. I welcome your interest.
    Thanks,
    elvisfridge.
    edited September 6, 2009
    Yes.Yes. You are being defraction limited. Basically, there's a min-max function in play here. Your depth-of-field increases as the aperture decreases. At the same time, the effects of light defraction increase. Strangely enough, I was experimenting with this just about 2 hours ago with my EF 50mm f/1.4 and noticed a sweet spot at around the same point (f/8 through about f/11, actually). At f/22, the image was noticably softer.
    Larger f-stop (smaller apertures) are often used for landscape work. But, as noted above, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

To post, see link in my signature.
    wings.gif Thanks for your feedback I at least feel now that I am beginning to get a basic grasp of whats going on and your feedback has given a bit more confidence to learn more and be more professional. What are your thoughts on the Harold M Merklinger stuff. Again, thanks for your positive and constructive feedback.
    elvisfridge.
    edited September 6, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Interesting. I have an old folder camera, no nothing: everything manual, no coupled rangefinder so distance is estimated, no light meter, no film advance (except your fingers winding).. BUT, a lens that's great: Zeiss.

Anyway, it has a red-dot at the "sweet spot", where aperture and focus are lined up to give and ideal DOF for the lens for most outdoor shooting needs. On a normal sunny day you also use a well-known (back then) 125 for shutter speed. And shoot all day without re-focusing (long as it's beyond 15' or so)
    And, it is a sweet, that spot! Think many folders of that type had that red indicator.

You may have stumbled on the same thing. I do know that opening a lens all the way can tend to give some distortion. So, maybe, avoid the extremes if possible and try to stick to mid-range apertures. (?)

(here's a shot with the folder: early 50's Zeiss Ercona, Zeiss Tessar Lens, 6x9 format (2 1/4" x 3 1/4")

33353380_niHLv-L-1.jpg
    :ian That is very interesting, thanks for your reply, sounds like a really cool setup. I am really not obsessed with the technology, and am working towards simplicity in my approach. Its very interesting you mentioned the sweet spot, Scott Quier was also talking about sweet spots in the lens. Many Thanks for your fedback.
    elvisfridge.
    edited September 6, 2009
    gvf wrote:

33353380_niHLv-L-1.jpg
    :ian NB: How did you put your picture in your post??
    edited September 7, 2009
    How would I have gone about my garden test (poor as it was), which charts would you suggest are suitable for a beginner, my camera and my lense. I welcome your interest.

Well, like I said, it's easier for me because I shoot film a lot and often with 50mm in 35mm camera or equivalent (80mm) in medium format cameras. So the rings on the lens barrel give you an actual measure of DOF depending on what aperture you use. And the 50 mm lens (or 80mm in medium format), are common lenses so you can also find a DOF table pretty easily - even if the rings weren't there and you needed one..

Far as the critique of DOF you mentioned: DOF exists, like I said, that's how you see, (squinting to see something? focuses light on central area of eye-sphere.)

Anyway, I'm not sure your lack of sharpness throughout is DOF because it's not clear in the number of whole-area shots posted what you're focusing on. I'd do the chair so it's really sharp, and do an f10 or near and see what the sides of the area look like. Good DOF field should make at least 2/3 rds of the sides pretty sharp. And at least from the shots, looks like the distance is going to be before infinity. Say the chair and back hedge/wall are around 20' away. So, you want a DOF from 20' at the farthest distance, to as close to possible to the nearest object you want in focus. I guess you could skip the distance to the chair, and figure you'll likely get a far distance of Infinity at f16 or f22. If everything is focused to infinity, and the nearest object you want in focus 4', then the chair will be focused at 20' since everything from 4' to infinity is in focus anyway. Doing the shot with the charts, calculators, would likely give you the hyperfocal distance to use in that case- and that is where you would focus.

But before all that stuff try the easier way: focus on chair and use an aperture of around f16 and f22. See what that looks like, say two shots f16, f22. Maybe do f10 also.
    Then you could try two of those exactly the same but with the old "1/3 in" suggestion. We'll say with an aperture of f16 or f22 there's a good chance the DOF runs to infinity - an educated guess without using calculators. But now instead of focusing on the chair, shoot one pix at f16 and another at f22 with the camera focused one third of the way out from the nearest focused object (which from an educated guess is maybe 10'. So, from 10', go out by 1/3 of the distance in front of you towards the rear of the area). This technique will sometimes give you more focus close to you than you would have had, while keeping the far focal point at infinity because infinity doesn't come closer to you (but the near-focal point will). You're really shifting the DOF near-distance point in towards you by one-third and thus making the near-focused area reach further in towards you. It helps in some situations. Worth the experiment.

If none of these 4 or 5 shots look good, then hit the charts and calculators. I bet some will do the trick though.
    -universal calculator with some directions for converting digital zoom lens to the DOF criteria for the chart.
    [url]hcttp://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html[/url]

And another based on camera name and that gives you a chart of values to work with:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

It's a tough job trying to keep all of a relatively small area in focus, a room, or a yard etc. I sympathize.

PS:
    How did you put your picture in your post??

I had it posted already on my Smugmug site (www.finnegan.smugmug.com) and pasted a link from there. Above the photo, there's a view of the web pages of your site after you loggin that includes a choice for "Share", and you can choose under that: "get a link".

Get the link for "large" view of the photo you want, on the forum message-template is a yellow icon for "insert image" on top. That's where you can paste the photo link, and the it will go in the message. Click "OK" on Insert Image. When you post the message, a photo will show up where the link was placed. (Place the cursor in the message box where you want your photo first. Then do the paste of the link into "Insert Image")
    edited September 7, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Well, like I said, it's easier for me because I shoot film a lot and often with 50mm in 35mm camera or equivalent (80mm) in medium format cameras. So the rings on the lens barrel give you an actual measure of DOF depending on what aperture you use. And the 50 mm lens (or 80mm in medium format), are common lenses so you can also find a DOF table pretty easily - even if the rings weren't there and you needed one..

Far as the critique of DOF you mentioned: DOF exists, like I said, that's how you see, (squinting to see something? focuses light on central area of eye-sphere.)

Anyway, I'm not sure your lack of sharpness throughout is DOF because it's not clear in the number of whole-area shots posted what you're focusing on. I'd do the chair so it's really sharp, and do an f10 or near and see what the sides of the area look like. Good DOF field should make at least 2/3 rds of the sides pretty sharp. And at least from the shots, looks like the distance is going to be before infinity. Say the chair and back hedge/wall are around 20' away. So, you want a DOF from 20' at the farthest distance, to as close to possible to the nearest object you want in focus. Or, I guess you could skip the distance to the chair, and use a near distance to Infinity for the range of area you want focused from near to far.. If everything is focused to infinity, and the nearest object you want in focus 4', then the chair will be focused at 20'. Doing the shot with the charts, calculators, would likely give you the hyperfocal distance to use in that case- and that is where you would focus. But before all that stuff try the easier way: focus on chair and use an aperture of around f10 to f22. See what that looks like.
    If it's bad, maybe then hit the tables, calculator etc.

-universal calculator with some directions for converting digital zoom lens to the DOF criteria for the chart.
    [url]hcttp://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html[/url]

And another based on camera name and that gives you a chart of values to work with:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

It's a tough job trying to keep all of a relatively small area in focus, a room, or a yard etc. I sympathize.

PS:
    I had it posted already on my Smugmug site (www.finnegan.smugmug.com) and pasted a link from there. Above the photo, there's a view of the web pages of your site after you loggin to your site, and it includes a choice for "Share", and you can choose under that: "get a link".

Get the link for "large" view of the photo you want, on the forum message-template is a yellow icon for "insert image" on top. That where you can paste the photo link, and it will go in the message. Click "OK on Insert Image. When you post the message, a photo will show up where the link was placed.

Again, thanks for the comments. I was focussing at infinity, using a tripod, and going through all the apertures. Is there a lack of focus throughout? the reason I ask this is that I only have the stock canon 18-55mm and Tokina 11-16mm to compare against. And I can't honestly say one demonstrates better sharpness than the other In similar tests. That said the Tokina is a much more expensive lens, and I need to ensure it is up to scratch (e.g. not a poor example). It was a windy day, and the light was constantly changing, but it gave me the seeds of understanding regarding DOF. NB these are some of the first pictures I have taken with the Tokina. I have to photograph an showroom with items hanging on the wall all around, about the same space as my back garden, hence the dry runs. I think I will start again and come up with a more decisive, simple test/s e.g. focussing at infinity V,s focussing at suggested hyperfocal distance etc, oh and take and post much better shots. Thanks again.
    edited September 7, 2009
    I think I will start again and come up with a more decisive, simple test/s e.g. focussing at infinity V,s focussing at suggested hyperfocal distance etc, oh and take and post much better shots. Thanks again.

Sure. But why not try a few like i suggested: focusing on the chair at f16 and another f22.

Then do another two shots at f16 and f22 while focusing 1/3 rd of the way "in" towards the "rear" of the shot, in the case of your shot: 1/3 of the way in towards the chair (like if the chair was 30' away from you as you look at it, the focus would be 10' away from you. Just focus on the grass at that point, lock the focus and raise the camera back up level to the framing you want).

Here's an article about this "one-third" method http://digital-photography-school.com/where-to-focus-in-landscape-photography (note what it says about a shot - like yours - with a specific object that should be in focus at the farthest point away from you; i.e., this method may not work in such a case. But even so, give it a try as an experiment.)

My suggestion would give you four shots: f16 and focusing sharply on the chair; f22 and focusing sharply on the chair;
    f16 and focusing 1/3 of the total distance in; f22 and focusing 1/3 of the total distance in. You could also do the same with two shots at f10 if you want.
    edited September 7, 2009
    Suggestions For EOS 1000D Metering Mode
    I will be photographing a room roughly 20M deep and 10M wide. It has artifacts (different colors) hung on the walls all the way round, a bit of natural daylight coming through a window behind where I intend to take the shot (end of the room) 3 to 4 tungsten spots highlighting a few areas in the room and some office type strip lamps. I can't really change position of the shot (for many reasons) and at best turn the spots of (but not move them). I will be using the above camera with a Tokina 11-16mm lense (brief is to get as much room as possible in the shot) and a tripod. And for what its worth probably (after much help and advice from the forum) an hyperfocal distance between 1.2M-0.61M f11-f22 and will also give the one third rule a bash.

Question: Which Metering mode should I use e.g. Evaluative, Partial or Center Weighted Average?

So far in my limited career I have used evaluative, but this room is probably the most technically demanding picture I will have taken. Any input regarding this would be most welcome, also any hints and tips. Thanks
    Fridge:ian
    edited September 7, 2009
    headscratch.gif And just to prove how new I am, when using a depth of field chart such as the Dofmaster one, In the focal length box should I input the maximum focal length of the lense or the focal length I am using (Tokina 11-16mm Zoom) e.g. using the length at 11mm end do I input 16mm or 11mm. I assumed from what I had read it was 16mm regardless. Obviously this would knock out the calculated hyperfocal distance?

And finally are the hyperfocal distances given at the bottom of the f stop columns on the chart for all the
    distances above them e.g. one hyperfocal distance covers all above?
    Please help if you know that table as it is integral to what I am currently doing (re previous posts)
    Thanks,
    Fridge.:cool
    edited September 7, 2009
    headscratch.gif And just to prove how new I am, when using a depth of field chart such as the Dofmaster one, In the focal length box should I input the maximum focal length of the lense or the focal length I am using (Tokina 11-16mm Zoom) e.g. using the length at 11mm end do I input 16mm or 11mm. I assumed from what I had read it was 16mm regardless. Obviously this would knock out the calculated hyperfocal distance?

And finally are the hyperfocal distances given at the bottom of the f stop columns on the chart for all the
    distances above them e.g. one hyperfocal distance covers all above?
    Please help if you know that table as it is integral to what I am currently doing (re previous posts)
    Thanks,
    Fridge.:cool

Don't know your camera so what metering mode is a ?. What looks best under similar lighting you may have shot in the past?

The difference in DOF, hyperfocal and all that are minimal whether it's 16mm, 18mm or 11mm. Shoot with an average if you're using different ones, or if one use that - but you should have plenty of focused area in any of those with a high f-stop, the lens is so wide.

You shouldn't just use hyperfocal distance or the "1/3 rule", but shoot some shots focused on the farthest object, and some focused on an object say 3/4's of the way in. At those distances the hyperfocal stuff may not give you what you want, nor the "1/3 rule" (the latter i've only used in certain situations outside for landscapes.) So, don't depend on either as the things may be focused but nor really sharp.

Long as you're using a high f-stop, f10 or beyond, likely around 16, and you have a tripod, it should be OK.

Take a look though at whatever shutter-speed you need with those apertures. If it's really long, like beyond a few seconds, which is unlikely in a brightly lit store, then use some f-stop that'll give you a faster shutter speed while still keeping a higher depth of field. Long sutter speeds and your camera I take it is an unknown.

If you can go to the place ahead of time, least a day or so, and to some sample shots, or a few in a similar area, it'll help. Even just to look at it carefully if you can't use a camera.

Also depends on what objects are in the store and what you focus on. A huge print on a far wall would obviously be what would pull the eye in, so in that case, focus on that. Again, go to the place first- even without a tripod and shooting a few hand-held, experimenting on shutter speed, focus-point etc. Makes it a lot easier.
    edited September 7, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Don't know your camera so what metering mode is a ?. What looks best under similar lighting you may have shot in the past?

The difference in DOF, hyperfocal and all that are minimal whether it's 16mm, 18mm or 11mm. Shoot with an average if you're using different ones, or if one use that - but you should have plenty of focused area in any of those with a high f-stop, the lens is so wide.

You shouldn't just use hyperfocal distance or the "1/3 rule", but shoot some shots focused on the farthest object, and some focused on an object say 3/4's of the way in. At those distances the hyperfocal stuff may not give you what you want, nor the "1/3 rule" (the latter i've only used in certain situations outside for landscapes.) So, don't depend on either as the things may be focused but nor really sharp.

Long as you're using a high f-stop, f10 or beyond, likely around 16, and you have a tripod, it should be OK.

Take a look though at whatever shutter-speed you need with those apertures. If it's really long, like beyond a few seconds, which is unlikely in a brightly lit store, then use some f-stop that'll give you a faster shutter speed while still keeping a higher depth of field. Long sutter speeds and your camera I take it is an unknown.

If you can go to the place ahead of time, least a day or so, and to some sample shots, or a few in a similar area, it'll help. Even just to look at it carefully if you can't use a camera.

Also depends on what objects are in the store and what you focus on. A huge print on a far wall would obviously be what would pull the eye in, so in that case, focus on that. Again, go to the place first- even without a tripod and shootingt a few handheld experimenting on shutter speed, focus-point etc. Makes it a lot easier.

Hi,
    Metering mode A is (re manual) all around metering mode suited for portraits and even backlit subjects.

I have done a reckie and took some hand helds. I didnt know about depth of field and wide angle lenses then (previous posts) etc.

Problem with focussing at different places is Canon method of locking focus requires keeping shutter button half pressed down.I will have to move the camera+tripod to allow focus at suggested points and then re position to take the shot whilst keeping shutter button half pressed down (I do intend to go over this again to make sure I read it right). just to clarify the room is semi partitioned with stock and am shooting down the middle to get as much of L+R sides as possible. This is why a manual focus point shot at f8 / f11 / f16 seemed promising (but if you read my previous post not even sure if I am entering the correct data in the dof chart). Thanks for your help.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    May have looked over it......what software are you using for your processing of these photos????

The physical size (** pixels X ** pixels) of the photos need to be larger to be able to evaluate them properly.

If photoshop all you need to do is when you go into file and down to save for the web and that will give you options for saving at different sizes and quality...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited September 8, 2009
    Problem with focussing at different places is Canon method of locking focus requires keeping shutter button half pressed down

Focus manually.

Don't get so hung-up about all this hyperfocal, depth of field stuff. Just use a higher aperture and focus manually at the back if he wants you facing down the center isle of the store. If you want to try a couple with the "one-third" and at the hyperfocal, sure then try 'em. The rest is just your own eye, have fun with it! By the way, in your shot, for all practical purposed the hyperfocal distance is about half way between you and the back of the store. Back of the store we think is ininity.
    edited September 8, 2009
    As for metering mode, that also doesn't matter so much, unless you only have an opportunity to take just one exposure.

My process would be:
    1. Mount your camera on your tripod
    2. Select ISO 100
    3. Select Av mode
    4. Select Evaluative Metering mode
    5. Select a small aperture (larger number) in the range of f/8 to f/16
    6. Press the shutter 1/2 to get the camera's idea of a good shutter speed. This will probably be a good staring point but will also probably not be quite right so,
    7. Select Manual mode and program in the camera's suggested settings (shutter, aperture)
    8. Take a shot and evaluate the image on the LCD for blinkies and the histogram for "proper" exposure
    9. If you have blinkies, make your shutter speed shorter
    10. If you histogram is bunced to the left, make your shutter speed longer
    11. Repeat steps 8 through 10 as necessary until you get an exposure with which you're happy
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    As for metering mode, that also doesn't matter so much, unless you only have an opportunity to take just one exposure.

My process would be:
    1. Mount your camera on your tripod
    2. Select ISO 100
    3. Select Av mode
    4. Select Evaluative Metering mode
    5. Select a small aperture (larger number) in the range of f/8 to f/16
    6. Press the shutter 1/2 to get the camera's idea of a good shutter speed. This will probably be a good staring point but will also probably not be quite right so,
    7. Select Manual mode and program in the camera's suggested settings (shutter, aperture)
    8. Take a shot and evaluate the image on the LCD for blinkies and the histogram for "proper" exposure
    9. If you have blinkies, make your shutter speed shorter
    10. If you histogram is bunced to the left, make your shutter speed longer
    11. Repeat steps 8 through 10 as necessary until you get an exposure with which you're happy
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 8, 2009
    Scott, isn't that what shooting in "A" is supposed to do for you!!:D :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited September 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Scott, isn't that what shooting in "A" is supposed to do for you!!:D :D
    When was the last time you saw the computer in the camera get it exactly right? :lol
    edited September 10, 2009
    When was the last time you saw the computer in the camera get it exactly right? :lol
    All (Thank-you for all your help)
    Did the shoot by the numbers (charts etc) bad move. I was shooting in a 30meter X 20meter box. Neon lamps, halogen spots, shiny surfaces around the walls. I am an amateur. With a big wide lens. It was like on the buss's, Open all hours, Benny Hill. Looking at the pictures, I realized how little I know.
    I will learn more.
    Fridge. (And try Harder).
    edited September 11, 2009
    Sorry to hear that, but it's an odd thing to have to do if you're just starting out. Will they let you take more.

Best thing to do to learn: take a lot of photos, anywhere, anything that interests you. Use the bits of broad principles you know - but then learn by doing it, or you get all hung-up with 10 dollar words, rules, settings etc. and don't enjoy it. I'd just put the camera on manual and experiment around. After a bit of that, read a little about technique, or find out specific answer to a situation you had shooting; then dump that all, go back and shoot more and apply a few other technique hints. Remember, modern day cameras are complicated, but you can go back to the simplicity of earlier days, just play with finding nice exposures, focusing, a little playing around with depth of field.

After awhile, if you want you can go thru some of the 1000 pages of instructions modern cameras have. But shoot for now like it was 1955.
    edited September 11, 2009
    bowdown.gif They are very interesting and encouraging words. Thanks.I had an interesting day today. I bought a stock Canon 50mm f1.4 lens. I also consulted the shop that sold me the Tokina about my concerns / disappointment regarding the shots. I also acquired a canon D50. I have resolved to take many photo's at every availability and learn by results not get ruled by maths and stuff.
    Regarding the shoot, I wanted to do it as a favor for a friend, just because I wanted to learn. I have decided to go back (minus tripod and DOF numbers) and shoot it real rock n roll style. I am also going to change the exposure metering mode to spot, so the camera's focus is not getting pulled all over the place. I think the stock lens will force more creative shots due to its limitations, and the Tokina is going back to the manufacturers if I am still not happy with it. I have kept the cheap Canon 18-55mm lens that came with the EOS1000D I have traded in (The camera wasn't at fault, but it was too light) The 50D just looks and feels rock n roll, and its a bit better quality, thats important for me. Again, great words and on the money. I will nail this,
    Thanks all,
    Fridge

gvf wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, but it's an odd thing to have to do if you're just starting out. Will they let you take more.

Best thing to do to learn: take a lot of photos, anywhere, anything that interests you. Use the bits of broad principles you know - but then learn by doing it, or you get all hung-up with 10 dollar words, rules, settings etc. and don't enjoy it. I'd just put the camera on manual and experiment around. After a bit of that, read a little about technique, or find out specific answer to a situation you had shooting; then dump that all, go back and shoot more and apply a few other technique hints. Remember, modern day cameras are complicated, but you can go back to the simplicity of earlier days, just play with finding nice exposures, focusing, a little playing around with depth of field.

After awhile, if you want you can go thru some of the 1000 pages of instructions modern cameras have. But shoot for now like it was 1955.
    edited September 12, 2009
    That's all good. You're stimulated and have a strong desire to "take Pictures" which is the most important motivator. Learning more comes from that.

Another good thing is to go to a good fine arts library or that section in a good comprehensive library, internet is OK too but prints in a fine photography book are much better. Look at work of the great photographers of the last century. Often they were using very simple cameras (very GOOD cameras but simple) and using basic principles of composition, light, space, depth etc in conjunction with the lens to produce monumental shots. The camera is the eye, so train the eye.