Casual Muse

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited September 6, 2009 in People
Here's Muse rocking some casual fashion. Click the first image to see the entire gallery.

116742815.jpg

116774727.jpg

116780948.jpg

116784234.jpg

116813789.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    3 and 4 look really awkward, like she's about to fall over.

2 grabs me, but not sure why. The face almost seems muddy, and her arm appears really, really hairy.

So I'm not sure the series works for me.

However, I do think the lighting is pretty good. Pretty well balanced in most of the shots. #2, I'm not sure what went wrong there. With 4, I think the ambient should have been brought up.

In the others, its very smooth lighting. How did you do this? Did you use extra reflectors, flash units, what? I think its pretty good.

3 is pretty cool too. I like the slightly more focused light on her. Draws attention to the face.

Good lighting work.thumb.gif
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Thanks Insured. I agree # 2 isn't getting it done.

There's no flash or reflectors in any of these. All ambient metered off her face and body.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    edited September 5, 2009
    Wow. Not even in #3? The lighting was really cooperating with you. You must have made some good use of shade or something.thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    John,
    I don't mean to pry, your #4 (girl on a rock with just the lake as the bg) makes a very strange impression...

I mean:
    • the rock is lit from the right, strictly by a side lighting, the top of the rock is not lit directly;
    • her left elbow, which is very close to the lit part of the rock and, at least in theory, should be lit by the same light source, is very dark and carries the signs of PS (dark spots on the forearm/elbow).
    • her face carries no distinct shadows and has all the indications that she's been lit from the position of the camera, maybe Up and Left from the camera (definitely not from the right, as the rock)
    • her legs are lit rather evenly from the front, yet again carrying a rather atypical darker shades on the top of her right (upper) leg
    • and finally, her shoe and her mettallic skirt provides a hint of a rather intensive light source positioned next to the camera (again, not the one on the right that lits the rock).
    There are other minor things, but I guess my bottomline question is: is it a cut-out-type composite? headscratch.gif
    Thank you!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    John,
    I don't mean to pry, your #4 (girl on a rock with just the lake as the bg) makes a very strange impression...

I mean:
    • the rock is lit from the right, strictly by a side lighting, the top of the rock is not lit directly;
    • her left elbow, which is very close to the lit part of the rock and, at least in theory, should be lit by the same light source, is very dark and carries the signs of PS (dark spots on the forearm/elbow).
    • her face carries no distinct shadows and has all the indications that she's been lit from the position of the camera, maybe Up and Left from the camera (definitely not from the right, as the rock)
    • her legs are lit rather evenly from the front, yet again carrying a rather atypical darker shades on the top of her right (upper) leg
    • and finally, her shoe and her mettallic skirt provides a hint of a rather intensive light source positioned next to the camera (again, not the one on the right that lits the rock).
    There are other minor things, but I guess my bottomline question is: is it a cut-out-type composite? headscratch.gif
    Thank you!

I will agree, it does look a bit weird. I'd thought maybe your lighting was from two difference sources, hence my suggestion to bring up the ambient. It did immediately strike me as a cutout as well.ne_nau.gif
    edited September 5, 2009
    It's not a cutout guys. Where she is is where she was. I didn't have a flash at this location although I did later for the porch shots in the formal dress (Elegant Muse).

HOWEVER, the background was blown on the two your referring to. I brought is back in DPP. What you're seeing is a bit of HDR treatment of these two. It's possible I messed up the light in that process.
    Really sharp eyes on both of you.thumb.gif

Thanks for the detailed look.
    edited September 5, 2009
    Ah, then while you didnt use any flashes or reflectors, you did spend a good bit of time after the shoot the fix the lighting?

No matter, thanks for sharing these.thumb.gif
    edited September 5, 2009
    Absolutely Insured. It actually doesn't take that long. I just convert a dark copy and a light copy and then blend them in PS. I guess sometimes I blow it.ne_nau.gif
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    3 and 4 look really awkward, like she's about to fall over.

2 grabs me, but not sure why. The face almost seems muddy, and her arm appears really, really hairy.

So I'm not sure the series works for me.

However, I do think the lighting is pretty good. Pretty well balanced in most of the shots. #2, I'm not sure what went wrong there. With 4, I think the ambient should have been brought up.

In the others, its very smooth lighting. How did you do this? Did you use extra reflectors, flash units, what? I think its pretty good.

3 is pretty cool too. I like the slightly more focused light on her. Draws attention to the face.

Good lighting work.thumb.gif
    That is so funny that you said that about pictures 3&4 because as I was scrolling through them my 2 year old was on my lap and he said look mommy lady fall in the water lol.
    Courtney