Options

The things I have learned in my " first year of business"

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited September 14, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
This post is more for myself, to remind myself of these things. But it is also to share with others starting out, perhaps it will give them tips, and it is for others who are just starting out to post the things they have learned.

1) I think the most important thing I have learned. When doing BUSINESS, get it in writing. A contract, a signed sheet explaining just what is expected, on both ends. It should be specific where it needs to be-what time is the photographer expected to show up- and vague when need to be-photographer cannot be responsible for shots missed due to weather, missing people and so on. Special events, such as weddings need contracts of a couple of pages, covering every contingency you can. But, even more informal sessions, such as a casual family shoot, should have something in writing that spells out expectations and responsibities.

2.) Speak to the decision maker any time you absolutely can. That may be the person paying, it may be the bride, it may be the CEO, it may be baby's mom...in discussing more than a date confirmation, speak with the decision maker. I shot a corporate session, worked primarily through the admin assitant to the bossman (he gave himself the title of CEO, but really, he was just the owner of a 5 employee company), then when I got there, I find that the expectations layed out in our contract were only the tip of the iceburg. Not because the admin asst. didn't communicate well with me, but because the two of them apparently never communicate well-she didn't really have a clue what he wanted.

3)It's still best to try to get what you want right out of the camera, but shoot with plans to crop etc in mind. Cropping is best when used to crop just a bit of edges of, not when you have to correct a composition with a crop

4) If you are the paid photographer, you get priority on where to stand to photograph. It doesn't bother me if others want to take their P&S to shoot all the "kodak moments"-cake cutting first dance, etc. But, do NOT be afraid to walk right in front of them to get a better angle. They are not who hired you, you are the one getting paid for the gig, so you are entitled to rights to the best photo spots.

5)try to arrive early, be at rehersal, etc to really get an idea of what to do where.

6) you can't get EVERY shot. Even with an assistant, things will happen that you can't shoot in time-you are shooting the two kids together, have to wait for that split second for the flash to recycle and at that EXACT moment, the boy plants a super fast smacker on his sister and runs off.

There are others that I will be adding but you get the idea. So add yours!

I know there are already threads will all sorts of tips and tricks and I am not really looking for that, just wondering what everyone who is starting out, coming up on the end of their first year of "serious" shooting, what you have learned.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    That is a darn good list. The only thing that I will add is have the fee written in the contract. When deposit or down payment is due and when balance is due.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Some of these are just general photography tips, not really dealing with business. But anyways, good list. I hope to see more additions.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    That is a darn good list. The only thing that I will add is have the fee written in the contract. When deposit or down payment is due and when balance is due.

Oh, that reminds me-
    don't be afraid to charge for ALL the time. The hour or two spent shooting is only the start, there are also the hours spent cloning out flagpoles, finding the right b&w conversion, and adding a smidge of the special something to make the picture look just right. Customers aren't just paying for you to take pictures, they are paying for your artistic touch too.

another I have learned-

However long you think it will take to be making the money you want to make with your photography, triple or quadruple that amount of time to get a more realistic time frame. (or quintuple the amount of work you do :D )
  • Options
    AlexNeoAlexNeo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 11, 2009
    Good advice!!!

What about shoot for newspaper & magazine?
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    AlexNeo wrote:
    Good advice!!!

What about shoot for newspaper & magazine?

I do this on a freelance basis, and I can tell you that the money really bites. There are some advantages, but it really depends on how much you can work the contacts that you will make, and how much the paper or mag will allow you to work those contacts.

The cons to doing work for the press:

The pay is lousy.
    The jobs are usually on short notice.
    No creativity for the most part.
    The editor/publisher butcher most of your shots during the printing.

The pros to doing work for the press:

The press pass.
    The contacts that can be made on a shoot.
    Seeing your work published on a regular basis. (the thrill does wear off)
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    6) you can't get EVERY shot. Even with an assistant, things will happen that you can't shoot in time-you are shooting the two kids together, have to wait for that split second for the flash to recycle and at that EXACT moment, the boy plants a super fast smacker on his sister and runs off.

This was a large barrier for me when I first started. Simply accepting that I was going to miss shots... and being okay with that.

Still, years later, I get mad when I miss something -- I can absolutely rock 100 awesome shots, but if I miss one (or even forget to do something - like a cool pose I thought of later) that's the one thing I remember from the shoot.

Part of being an artist is a healthy dose of self-hate. ne_nau.gif
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    I do this on a freelance basis, and I can tell you that the money really bites. There are some advantages, but it really depends on how much you can work the contacts that you will make, and how much the paper or mag will allow you to work those contacts.

The cons to doing work for the press:

The pay is lousy.
    The jobs are usually on short notice.
    No creativity for the most part.
    The editor/publisher butcher most of your shots during the printing.

The pros to doing work for the press:

The press pass.
    The contacts that can be made on a shoot.
    Seeing your work published on a regular basis. (the thrill does wear off)
    Amen to that. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"