After the Fire: THE HOSE LINE

gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited September 19, 2009 in People
After the Fire: THE HOSE LINE ................. 35mm film 3200ASA

131306623_R5a9E-L.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I think in general this is an interesting shot, and one that you don't see a lot. All the firemen standing about get my curiosity going; What is happening? why are they standing there?
    But I also think the photo gives too little clues, perhaps. There is no evidence of a fire, or any activity really; it just seems to be men standing around which makes me not sure what to look at, really. The car in the foreground is also a bit too big/distracting, I think.

Do you have more from this shoot? I think it could be a lot stronger if it were part of a series.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 13, 2009
    I keep puzzling over the right-most figure in the frame. I guess I'm not understanding what I'm seeing, as he looks like he's 10 feet tall. headscratch.gif
  • WesleyWesley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 13, 2009
    The clue is in the title - After The Fire.

They are reloading hose onto the engine. The right-most firefighter is standing on the tailboard.

~Wesley <-- Firefighter for 10 years.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 14, 2009
    Wesley wrote:

They are reloading hose onto the engine. The right-most firefighter is standing on the tailboard.

Ah, now I get it. I thought the truck was the façade of a building. Guess I didn't look with enough attention at the lower part. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Do you have more from this shoot? I think it could be a lot stronger if it were part of a series.

Wesley's right: the hose line. I was interested in the shot, as a kind of ritualistic image after a great danger has passed by the men who were a part of it. Hard to see the hose with all the hands and the dark.

It is part of a series, but luckily it was not a bad fire, so most of the other shots are similar, firemen lining up to go in, or exit and the night-shooting left some of the shots a bit off technically, so I usually just use this one.