This is the kind of job you get in an economical crisis!

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited September 5, 2009 in People
I haven't ever posted a picture of my middle son, so I proudly introduce Brian aka Rookie the Racoon. Our local pro baseball league mascot. Seems this is what I get for paying 80k in college tuition for a degree in sports management! :rofl $50.00 a game to take photos with the kids and do the chicken dance after the fourth inning! Fortunately though I think he is heading to the PGA soon, so maybe there will be some money there...or not! Where can these kids find "real" jobs??:dunno

640038162_fd5eu-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Lovely Raccoon with a hat. Have you ever considered, or offered to caddie for him (with your camera, of course). There are a number of reasons to do it. I've played in some national amateur events as well as competitive match play where there was an active gallery (and photogs) and I wasn't prepared for the type of attention. I think it actually helped my game by forcing me to concentrate on my routine, but it was unnerving at the start. He should practice by playing in a competitive mindset with you there to learn how to managed the "Awe Mom!, Stop it!" reaction he probably has when you front up with a camera.

I'm guessing he spends his day working on his short game (as he should!) What's his path to the PGA? Will he do Q-school or is he already on the Nationwide tour? this from someone formerly with a 5 hdcp

In Australia, there is a program that not only provides a platform for aspiring golfers to improve, but it also gives them essential skills for running small businesses associated with being Club Pros. It's treated more as a trade than a degree, although there are associated degree programs as well. Certainly cheaper than $80K USD. Not every golfer comes through that path, but it is one of the avenues that is designed to make sure the profession isn't just about making it to the PGA.
  • markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    I hear you!
    Great pic. Hey, it's a job. I've got a son that graduated in May with a BA in Marketing from St. Bonaventure. He's delivering beer right now trying to make his car payment. Can't wait until the payments start on the 80K student loan. Guess I better go shoot more photos.
    :ivar
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Lovely Raccoon with a hat. Have you ever considered, or offered to caddie for him (with your camera, of course). There are a number of reasons to do it. I've played in some national amateur events as well as competitive match play where there was an active gallery (and photogs) and I wasn't prepared for the type of attention. I think it actually helped my game by forcing me to concentrate on my routine, but it was unnerving at the start. He should practice by playing in a competitive mindset with you there to learn how to managed the "Awe Mom!, Stop it!" reaction he probably has when you front up with a camera.

I'm guessing he spends his day working on his short game (as he should!) What's his path to the PGA? Will he do Q-school or is he already on the Nationwide tour? this from someone formerly with a 5 hdcp

In Australia, there is a program that not only provides a platform for aspiring golfers to improve, but it also gives them essential skills for running small businesses associated with being Club Pros. It's treated more as a trade than a degree, although there are associated degree programs as well. Certainly cheaper than $80K USD. Not every golfer comes through that path, but it is one of the avenues that is designed to make sure the profession isn't just about making it to the PGA.

Thanks for the response and advice! I'm not a good caddie, his dad caddies sometimes when he lets him. I take pictures from afar! As of right now he just finished playing D2 golf in his college and his team actually went to Nationals but alas didn't do to well. Happens when you live in the northeast and have such a short season of playing and practicing. He does really well when he plays for money.... He is looking into the Gateway winter tour in West Palm Beach Flordia if he finds a sponsor. 14K for 12 tournaments, but the purse is pretty good if you winclap.gif Has to find himself a sponsor or two! His handicap is 0 right now. He just has to decide what he wants to do.... He graduated with a sports management degree, was accepted to do the Pro Golf Management program in another state when he started but he wasn't ready to leave home. Hopefully he is ready soon! When I was his age..23... I had a mortgage, 2 kids and drove a station wagon! I am looking into Q school... have read about it before. Also an expensive proposition.... Here is a picture of him in another part of his life... lefty...

640233983_2AsQQ-L.jpg
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    markgorby wrote:
    Great pic. Hey, it's a job. I've got a son that graduated in May with a BA in Marketing from St. Bonaventure. He's delivering beer right now trying to make his car payment. Can't wait until the payments start on the 80K student loan. Guess I better go shoot more photos.
    :ivar

Sounds like we are in the same boat! We are going to have trigger finger! My cousin went to St. Bonaventure years ago. He is still paying loans I am sure! My son went to St. Thomas Aquinas. Good Catholic schools :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Assuming that is your icon photo, he must resemble his father...

Actually, in today's economic climate, I would consider this a real job BECAUSE it is in his field of sports. If he is a great Rookie the Raccoon, he may be asked into another position on the team when there is an opening. Consider it almost like a paid internship until he finds something more to his liking. Also, I assume it allows him the time to work on his game as well.

Nice shot of Rookie, too!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    I'm a leftie too! There are three rules to being a good caddie:

1) Show up
    2) Keep up
    3) Shut up
    eek7.gifdeal.gifmwink.gif

Q-school is supposed to be one of the most grueling experiences in professional sports. It's even an effort to just qualify for it. Good luck to him. I've known a few people that have sponsored young talent out of Australia (making a go in the US), but I'm pretty sure the network and community here operates differently than in the US.

I hear you on the short season. I lived in Boston for ages, then Switzerland. Not a very long season in those areas. Then again, look at all the successful Swedes.