Tyler~West Vigo Senior

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 6, 2009 in People
This guy is the boyfriend to the girl I posted a few days ago. I'm looking for CC on a few things and I'll point what it is with the pictures. =)

Now, I love this picture..off camera flash shot through a white umbrella. Only...the poor dear lost a hand somewhere between getting on the bike and me shooting the pic......:rofl
in all seriousness...should I have had him put his hand on his pocket(what other placement for the hand would you have suggested?
635134542_amWjp-L-1.jpg
639377004_JeNPA-L.jpg
639379828_Pk2Yy-L.jpg
Like this pic...but I wish either his hands were in it...maybe a tighter crop?
639384449_9LCqd-L.jpg
Love the look of the image. The way he's looking at the camera...not so sure about his hand. What are your thoughts?
639387021_kCKFJ-L.jpg
639397330_YFPgB-L.jpg
this one feels awkward?
639397337_yzRjT-L.jpg
639915927_Y453W-L.jpg
this one could be better. I could NOT figure out how to get some ambient lighting in the image. He was so done...he did very well so we finished with this one. I know I need another flash. But I think I could have gotten more ambient lighting....what tips can you all give here?
639723082_6dQeF-L.jpg
thanks in advance
Julie

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Nice series.

With your last one, i'd try a couple of things. 1, dial up the "global" exposure compensation. You'll need less flash, so you might have to dial down the flash exposure to adjust. The benefit is that you retain I-TTL (or whatever your camera calls it) and it might be pretty fast. On my camera, both these settings have dedicated buttons, so I can respond quickly.

Downside, if you are not sure what the camera is trying to do, you may end up fighting it, and results may varry from shot to shot.

The other thing you can do is to switch to full manual mode, perhaps with flash as well. That's what I do with skateboarding shots, when I want to be able to control the sky exposure and the subject exposure independently. I'd slow the shutter speed down (since I'm guessing you want to keep the aperture) and expose the background the way you want it, and then use the flash to fill in as needed.

The benefits is that as long as distances don't change, exposure won't either. Negative: on my camera, this will mean switching to manual mode, metering, then adjusting exposure, shooting to make sure its what I want, adjusting, etc, then switching flash to manual mode (2 or three button presses) then trying to figure out what power to shoot at, testing. . .

One final thing is to try, at least on my camera, I-TTL BL which basically tells the camera that I want the flash to only worry about the subject, and balance the lighting in the background. So I shoot with manual exposure, and then the flash shoots on auto. Benefits, quick, easy, and I still retain flash exposure compensation control so I can dial it up or down off of metered values. Of course, the downside is, that with the I-TTL mode, every once in a while, the camera sees the scene slightly differently and the exposure changes.

Does this help? Or am I just filling up the screen with words?ne_nau.gif

The way I see it, I think the above guy's face is a bit hot as well. Just slightly. So maybe a difuser would help?
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    how about putting his hand (on the first pic) on his leg?
    Courtney
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Nice shots. Seems getting guys to smile is a real trick...
    1. I think he could have just had his hand on his leg, and that would have worked out a bunch better.
    Looks like he's more comforatable in his football uniform for 2/3/4. On 4 you might also try straight on to maximize his stature. Not instead of 4, but as an alternative.

The hand in 5 doesn't bug me. Nice shot.

I don't like his look on 6. I think his head needs to be up a bit.

Can't make up my mind on 7. One one hand it looks forced, but its clear that the bike and his girlfriend are the important things to him (hopefully not in that order).

8 looks very blown out to me. Also, is there a significance to the 10 he's sitting in front of?

Nice series.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice shots. Seems getting guys to smile is a real trick...
    1. I think he could have just had his hand on his leg, and that would have worked out a bunch better.
    Looks like he's more comforatable in his football uniform for 2/3/4. On 4 you might also try straight on to maximize his stature. Not instead of 4, but as an alternative.

The hand in 5 doesn't bug me. Nice shot.

I don't like his look on 6. I think his head needs to be up a bit.

Can't make up my mind on 7. One one hand it looks forced, but its clear that the bike and his girlfriend are the important things to him (hopefully not in that order).

8 looks very blown out to me. Also, is there a significance to the 10 he's sitting in front of?

Nice series.
    He graduates in 2010.....just me trying to be artsy. Laughing.gif...maybe not. rofl
    Thank you very much for the detailed cc...I really appreciate it.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    No, just shows that I'm not thinking about graduation....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site