nikon d300

codyjaygrahamphotograpycodyjaygrahamphotograpy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited September 6, 2009 in Cameras
anybody have any personal experience with it? dislikes or likes? or tips or suggestions? for the nikon d300?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 5, 2009
    Codyjaygrahamphotograpy, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

We have a number of Nikon D300 shooters. As the best of the Nikon DX (crop 1.5x) cameras, I'm sure most agree that it is a "very" competent camera. Note that Nikon has announced an updated version in the D300S, which adds HD video recording but I believe is otherwise similar to the original.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin…

I consider the D300 to be the best in its class; I fell in love with it as soon as I touched it, it was such a step up from the D70, and it felt so comfortable that I'm afraid to go near the D700. It's great when the manufacturer comes out with a upgraded model, since that tends to push the prices down, especially on the used market.

I'd not hesitate to get another D300; I just can't think of anything I don't like about mine thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • codyjaygrahamphotograpycodyjaygrahamphotograpy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2009
    thanks guys...im getting one for christmas and just wanna make sure that its the one that i want, and i wanted some personal experience instead of reviews
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 5, 2009
    Nikon has discontinued the D300. There may not be any left at Christmas.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    anybody have any personal experience with it? dislikes or likes? or tips or suggestions? for the nikon d300?

I converted to the D300 after many long long months of studying this forum as well as other forums and the cams I was looking at were Nikon, Canon and Olympus and was ready to jump to Oly but when I go to do Landscapes I do a "scouting run" and find my scene then I geo tag my shot of the scene and decide if it is a sunrise. sunset or a scen I can work with even at High Noon with a CPL or GND filters if need be........

I really liked the feel of the D300 (bought 2 with really low shutter actuations one had a touch over 1k and one was under 500 and the price was too good to pass up) and with wanting to keep work flow and software to a minimum I decided it had to be the Nikon to geotag directly into the exif The Moment the Shutter Clicks......or I would had had an Oly E30......as it gives 2x on folcal length of all lenses and that for wildlife would be fantastic.....the E30 also has the same AF and sutter as the E3........and at lot less mooolah........but in the end the D300 won out and I am not disappointed at all...have had them now a little over 3 months and still learning some of their intricacies .......do need to fine tune my af as soon as I have a sunny day or a bright day and no rain..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• codyjaygrahamphotograpycodyjaygrahamphotograpy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    Nikon has discontinued the D300. There may not be any left at Christmas.

really? didnt it just come out in like august?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 5, 2009

The original Nikon D300 was announced at the end of August, 2007. The D300S was announced at the end of July, 2009.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009

D300s was announced at the end of July '09.

D300 came out late '07 or early /08...

Either way... and just my personal opinion... I've finally decided (Art & Ziggy may remember my debating on D300 or D90) to go with the older D300 instead of the new D300s for a couple of reasons...

First, I don't need the video feature of the D300s; yes, it is HD video, but at only 720, not 1080.

Second, the mic on the D300s is mono, you need to buy an external mic to be able to record stereo sound.

Whichever camera you get, I'd recommend you get the MB-D10 battery grip and an extra battery.

Again, just my 2 cents...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
    edited September 5, 2009
    And btw... Ziggy and Art rock!!! I'm always reading their posts and they know their stuff... bowdown.gif

When I grow up, I wanna be cool like them!!!

thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    I really enjoy my D300. I like the feel and handling, the controls are laid out where I can get to them (being more towards the pro end and all) and its got good pic quality. What more can I say? Dpreview has a very in depth review on it, with sample pictures and a run down on everything.

I'm really happy with this camera, and I hope to have for years to come.
    edited September 6, 2009
    thanks for everyone sharing their opinions:D
    edited September 6, 2009
    thanks for everyone sharing their opinions:D
    Let us know what you decide... :D
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com