Gear for Munich and Salzburg

EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 5, 2009 in Cameras
I'm taking a two week trip to explore Munich and Salzburg in November. I have a Nikon D40 and a 70mm-200mm VR lens. I want to get a wide angle lens. I'm considering the Nikon 14mm-24mm because I want to update to the D700 at the end of the year or the new D700x or whatever it will be. Is it okay to use the 14mm-24mm lens on the D40 knowing I'm upgrading my camera from DX to FX? Or should I consider another lens?

Thank in advance!

Ethan

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 5, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    I'm taking a two week trip to explore Munich and Salzburg in November. I have a Nikon D40 and a 70mm-200mm VR lens. I want to get a wide angle lens. I'm considering the Nikon 14mm-24mm because I want to update to the D700 at the end of the year or the new D700x or whatever it will be. Is it okay to use the 14mm-24mm lens on the D40 knowing I'm upgrading my camera from DX to FX? Or should I consider another lens?

Thank in advance!

Ethan

Ethan, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S is a superb zoom lens no matter what body, it just is not a super-wide-angle zoom on the DX bodies. It is still wide, just not as super-wide.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ethan, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S is a superb zoom lens no matter what body, it just is not a super-wide-angle zoom on the DX bodies. It is still wide, just not as super-wide.

Thank you for the response Ziggy! So it'll still be good to for walking the city capturing the culture, buildings, etc. on the DX. When I upgrade to an D700, will this lens still be great for travel photography? I thought about the 17mm - 35mm but on the DX it wouldn't be much of a wide angle lens.