Lens cleaners

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in Cameras
What best value lens cleaners do you use/recommend?

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Somebody here recommended a Lenspen when I asked a while ago, and I have to agree - they're great!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Second on the lens pen. They have a brush to use first to get the big pieces off if a blower does not work (BTW, the blower is always the first option).

I use the cleaners that come from my optometrist for my eyeglasses (especially since I rarely use them on my eyeglasses) as well as the microfiber cleaning clothes that they supply. Same available from photo shops. Not sure if these are "best value", but they are cheap and available.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009

LENS PEN - can be found in camera stores and also many sporting good stores....have seen in sporting goods depts of walmart and such regional stores also.....Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabelas....all carry them.....some will say Nikon or have the store name branded on them...........

I also like ZEISS Wet Cleaner Tissues.....buy mine at wal mart near the Eye Glass Dept..........~$3 for 50 or a 100 can't remeber how they are now packaged..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    What about isopropyl alcohol?
    Is there any problem with using water diluted isopropyl alcohol, most of it would evaporate, however I am not sure if there would be any streaking?

I have recently put UV filters on my twin kit lenses, however that adds two extra surfaces that need cleaning! I was advised to add the filters for lens protection, more than for their UV properties.

Cheers,

Stephen Marsh
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 12, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Is there any problem with using water diluted isopropyl alcohol, most of it would evaporate, however I am not sure if there would be any streaking?

I have recently put UV filters on my twin kit lenses, however that adds two extra surfaces that need cleaning! I was advised to add the filters for lens protection, more than for their UV properties.

Cheers,

Stephen Marsh

Much of the "rubbing alcohol" sold has additives that will leave marks/streaks. One test that works fairly well is to apply the fluid to a common mirror. Any streaking is much more noticeable and it's hard to hurt a second surface mirror. Also use only distilled water. Tap water can contain minerals (including "soft" water) and those minerals can scratch.

At any rate I only recommend commercial products, specifically designed for optics. I use pre-moistened Zeiss swabs, designed for (and safe for) coated lenses and optical glass. They are cheap and it doesn't make sense to try to make my own system.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Rather use undiluted isopropyl alcohol, preferably AR grade if you can get it. You can use it for a myriad of other things too, like cleaning CDs, LPs and even slides and negatives.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    ROR (Residual Oil Remover)

Check google for suppliers - ROR is the best thing I've ever found for restoring lens surfaces to their "just-out-of-the-box" bloom…

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I tried the Lenspen, but was rather unimpressed. It retains much of the junk it is supposed to be cleaning, which causes it to streak and smear sometimes.

I prefer a quick blast with my Giottos Rocket blower and if needed a good clean with these wet wipes:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=425938&is=REG
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
  • ilandiland Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2010

I use Lenspen as well. make sure you get the DSLR model.