Auto Garage

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I drive by this auto garage on the way to work everyday, and everyday it has caught my eye. I had always envisioned some black and white shots, with heavy vignetting and grain (ala Joseph Szymanski). Today I actually stopped and took a few, using my always handy Lumix LX3. B&W treatment with Nik Silver Efex Pro. What do you think of the result?

640269497_8gUJL-L.jpg

640269839_fGbGk-L.jpg

640269337_wXamP-L.jpg

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Think ya got some nice shots. Nik Silver Efex Pro seems to be delivering.
    Gotta ask how you like the program. Does it work like actions? If thats the
    way to put it. :D Michael
    Michael
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Really like these -- Love the "Key Drop" - don't see that around anymore :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Hey Chris,

IMHO, if you'd crop the top of the "key drop" image, to eliminate the sign top right, it would make a stronger composition. Just scroll your screen to "visually crop" it in your browser to take a quick look.
    Randy
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Chris,

IMHO, if you'd crop the top of the "key drop" image, to eliminate the sign top right, it would make a stronger composition. Just scroll your screen to "visually crop" it in your browser to take a quick look.

Thanks rwells, dogdots and daddyo. I do see what you mean about the crop, when I have time later today I'll go back and crop out that sign.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Think ya got some nice shots. Nik Silver Efex Pro seems to be delivering.
    Gotta ask how you like the program. Does it work like actions? If thats the
    way to put it. :D Michael

I am a big fan of all of Nik's products and Silver Efex has made a huge difference in B&W conversions. The problem with actions is that all photos require different treatments for B&W and it is difficult if not impossible to create an action that looks good all around. Silver efex gives control for just about every aspect of the conversion process. I believe they have video tutorials on their site.