Options

C&C on Kite Surfers

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited September 9, 2009 in Sports
Tried out a new 70/300, a reacquired cheapie lens. I remember I was happy with it before I sold it in my rush to fast glass.

I had some purple fringing (maybe cured with a polarizer)

It's the style I'd like comments on. Blown out background, saturated subject taken out of context.

639550805_bwNV8-M.jpg

639556122_Yv8Sn-M.jpg

thanks
Rags

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 8, 2009
    For me, the blown background doesn't work. I think you lose a bit of context of what's happening.

What I do like is the exposure on the surfers.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Thanks for the comment Ian.

This style appears to be used by some high profile fashion photogs (women subjects). Just thought I would try it in a different environment.
    Rags
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 9, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Thanks for the comment Ian.

This style appears to be used by some high profile fashion photogs (women subjects). Just thought I would try it in a different environment.

I think it works there because the subject material is the model's ensemble. For kite surfing, you've got the surfer and his/her environment--they go hand in hand. If you were shooting say for a sponsorship portfolio and wanted to feature the athlete, high key might work.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    It is a little off for me too. It looks as if it could be done in a studio and you are waiting to add a background. Having no sky would be okay if I could see part of the waves below. I think the waves would give enough context and add a lot.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I think it works there because the subject material is the model's ensemble. For kite surfing, you've got the surfer and his/her environment--they go hand in hand. If you were shooting say for a sponsorship portfolio and wanted to feature the athlete, high key might work.

Yeah like: can you read the name on my board?

362895004_F6zjD-M.jpg
    Rags