Samantha - c/c appreciated

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 7, 2009 in People
My cousin. Did her hair and make-up and that was fun, but she got tired after an
hour and a half lol. Can't blame her though because I had to wake her up at 8am
because I knew it would take so long to get ready.

I'm getting better at lighting (still need a lot of work though), but my main problem
is focusing. I throw out so many OOFs it's very frustrating lol. Anyway,
what do you think? These are slightly sharpened for the WEB, but I am unsure
about 3 and 4.

640616449_4EJ5L-M.jpg

640616502_oCs3d-M.jpg

640616470_n7v3s-M.jpg

640616463_hSnBV-M.jpg

640616494_N5GK7-M.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Absolutely love #1!

As for the focusing issues ... what lens, and how wide open?
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Love #1. Tell her it was worth the hour and a half prep.

#3 and #4 are nice photos of her. I personally would prefer a portrait orientation on these as the landscape seems to be adding extra space without adding to the composition. #5 probably works better in landscape because you are zoomed out more.

Thanks for sharing!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Agree on #1. Wonderful. #2 is nice, but not sure why it's not as wonderful as the first. Can't decide if its the crop or not. Sorry to not be helpful there.

Of 3&4, 3 is nice, 4 looks blown on her facial highlights.

On 5, I spent too much time figuring out what the background was doing. Too many layers to it, and too much in focus, IMO. She's also bunched up her dress some, so it's not laying very well. Where is the light in this one? Thanks.

Nice series, and thanks for sharing!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    As for the focusing issues ... what lens, and how wide open?
    24-70L and I was ranging from wide open to f4 or f5.3. with me about 1-2 meters away. I usually use the focus points bc my eyesight sucks for manual focusing.

rainbow wrote:
    Tell her it was worth the hour and a half prep.

#3 and #4 are nice photos of her. I personally would prefer a portrait orientation on these as the landscape seems to be adding extra space without adding to the composition.
    We actually started prepping the night before lol! TWO hours just to straighten her hair (with anti frizz cream plus strong hairspray). In the morning, we still had to touch up because he hair got to curling and crimping overnight.

Good idea on the orientation, though. I'll try the crop on 3 and 4.

adbsgicom wrote:
    Where is the light in this one?
    The flash is on camera right. Thanks for looking and the input! She pulled the dress up a bit to nip in the waist and define the hips. It just fell straight down and wasn't very flattering on her frame as it was, but perhaps we pulled too much fabric.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    The flash is on camera right. Thanks for looking and the input! She pulled the dress up a bit to nip in the waist and define the hips. It just fell straight down and wasn't very flattering on her frame as it was, but perhaps we pulled too much fabric.

Don't worry about my opinion on the dress. I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy...
    On 3, I was always forgetting about the square crop, which may work well for this one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • PerfectSpeedPerfectSpeed Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2009
    marikris wrote:

my main problem is focusing. I throw out so many OOFs it's very frustrating lol.

Hi marikris

Shooting at f/2.8 is very selective, although you have done a great job here.

On shot 3 you were at f/2.8, 59mm with a SS of only 1/50 second, if you or your subject move even slightly it will be OOF.

I would be looking to frame a little closer, f/5.6 and 1/250, your 5D II could easy handle ISO 200/320.

The 24-70mm starts to really shine at f/5.6 but is golden at f/8.0 and with OCF

All your shots were at f/2.8 with shutter speeds of 1/40 or 1/50 sec ISO 100, AV is good but it picks your SS, as your subject is static and the light is not changing, M rules out here.

Steve
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Lot's of hard work involved if you are trying to straighten hair in Houston! #1 is wonderful, it shows off her eyes more, they appear larger and more open due to the fact she is looking upward. some seriously pretty women in your family.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    She looks beautiful. Your lighting looks great. I think the results were well worth all the effort. I know this isn't fabulous critique, but it'll have to do for tonight

Caroline