Options

HDR photography, Photomatix Pro & other software

PicturesofthelowcountryPicturesofthelowcountry Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 7, 2009 in Finishing School
I Just installed Photmatix Pro, I would like to discuss the options of other softwares that would help me with my HDR photography. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where i might start? I currently use both Lightroom 2.4 & Photoshop CS4

Thanks Mike
Pictures of the Lowcountry By Michael Lamarre
www.Picturesofthelowcountry.smugmug.com
Thanks and have a Great day

Comments

• Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Qtpfsgui
    Qtpfsgui is a GNU based HDR software. I use it and have created several HDR's. There is a Flickr group dedicated to it and Guiseppe Rota the creator of Qtpfsgui is the admin and offers great support. Give it a try. I am getting better with it and I am able to now get the result I want from it.

634642645_WfLKo-M.jpg
  • Options
    PicturesofthelowcountryPicturesofthelowcountry Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    How would you compare the two softwares?
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2009
    Well Qtpfsgui is freeclap.gif. I have played with both, but only have the free trial of Photomatix. Photomatix seems more user friendlywings.gif. Qtpfsgui has 8 different tone mapping algorithms. I can get virtually equal results with both when using with the same files.

The one down side to Qtpfsgui is that you have to make a tonemap adjustment, then apply the changes and wait for the program to run. In Photomatix you see the change as you move the slider.

I have come up with a set of settings that I prefer. I usually start with the defaults and work my way to my usual settings just to see the changes. I start with a small size until I get the image that I want. This works for all the operators except Fattal, it can change the image as you resizeheadscratch.gif. That is why I don't use that algorithm. Both import RAW or processed files.

It seems the most important part is getting the dynamic range you need when you capture the image. I find myself not only referring to the meter when I capture the series but also the histograms to make sure I got the full dymanic range captured.

The more I play the better my images get. Hope this helps.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Have you incorporated any other software for contrast or sharpening? I have read in the resource page of HDRSoft.com there are a couple available such as DOP plus and Detail Plus I was wondering if these might be a helpful tool as well.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    I just use Gimp. I use the Wavelet Denoise plugin to lower any noise levels, and the clone stamp to remove any residual sensor dust or distracting items(power lines, etc.). I'll use a curves adjust to adjust contrast, colors, and brightness. Then I'll finish up with an unsharp mask to sharpen, watermark and resize for the web or printing.

I have seen, tried and continue to try, using 2 or more algorithms, stacking them as layers and adjusting the opacity and layer modes(overlay, color, saturation, etc.) I have had some luck with this but need more practice.thumb.gif

I am considering Lightcraft's Lightzone software for color adjustment. I have heard good things about it and need to try the free trialclap.gif .

I don't have Lightroom but it is also high on my purchase list because I need to organize my shots better. I have only had my DSLR for about 2 years and have already accumulated 320gb of photos.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    This is a HDR is from my backyard, I like except foe the far left side, i don't like the Blowout from the sunset
    640173933_5w8Xv-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Assuming you have a photo editor capable of doing layers and masks. You might try placing the HDR in one layer. The original image that the area of concern is not blown out in another. Then using a layer mask to blend the original into the HDR enough it is no longer blown out. Another option, since the area appears small, is to clone out the blown out area. This may alter the overall feel of the image you are trying to achieve though.

BTW, great job on the capture!!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Tonights Sunset
    642608850_WNt3B-L.jpg
    just learning this HDR stuff, I do have a good view to practice with.