How Do I Process This Rainforest Shot?

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited September 9, 2009 in Landscapes
I know this is not a great shot, but I would like to know how to process one of these shots. I know I have seen some nice images showing jungle growth with low clouds. How are those done? I have more from my trip and want to know what to do if I find a keeper. I did shoot some with multiple exposures so I might have some luck with HDR. In the case of a single exposure such as this one--exposed for the shadows--what can I do in post to enhance it?

I can't go back and re-shoot but if there is something I can learn from this shot I'd appreciate your help. This image was processed only with ACR default settings and converted to JPEG.

Thanks,
Lauren

641410311_LuVjC-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    Hi,
    First I would say just be playful and try things.

Try cropping out some at of the fog at the top.

Do you have Lightroom or Photoshop? Try a gradient filter from the top to darken the fog a bit. You didn't use an ND gradient filter when you took the shot, but you can add one in Post-Processing.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    And following on Marc's advice try to et more contrast accross the greenery with the Tone Curve in LR or Curves in PSCS.

This image can be improved!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    I should have given more info: I have Aperture and PS CS4. Did not use a ND filter and might've forgotten to remove my polarizer. headscratch.gif I'll try to process it and re-post for further comments.

Thanks,

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    process
    This is the kind of shot that I would bring two versions into PS from ACR - one that maximizes the sky and the other maximize the ground. Create separate layers in one file of each - then mask / blend.

The link below has a tutorial on this approach - this is a way to leverage the dynamic range provided by the RAW file. I have also seen this approach discussed on this forum, but cannot seem to find a link to it.

Good luck.
    Dave

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2007_Articles/rjohnston/roman2.php
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Hi Lauren.

Cool place ! Let me know if it is ok to tweak your photo, I can
    give you some tips on how to spice it up a bit.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Hey Lauren,

I'd just make a duplicate layer, do some dodging & burning to taste using the highlights, midtones & shadows selection as desired. You can then make a curves layer and adjust as you see fit, also making curves adjustments to the red, green, blue, if desired to change the colors up.

I don't have any formula for this, I just process until it looks like what I'm after.

Here is a quick processing job on your image. Of course it's taken from this post, so it's low res, and it shows. But it might give you some ideas to start with.

Original
    641410311_LuVjC-XL.jpg

Processed
    642659990_3ixbQ-XL.jpg
    Randy
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    if you want to try your hand at pseudo-HDR using an inexpensive program called ReDynaMix, you might find it surprisingly good. it took me about 5 minutes to tweak this, with a little more time, you could do an even better job. ReDynaMix is available from MediaChance.com, costs $16... can't beat the price, and it actually works pretty well...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks for the continuing good tips! I will try a couple different versions and post results. I do have Photomatix Pro so I can do tonemapping but haven't tried it yet.

Dave - I've been trying to blend two versions after processing in ACR but don't like the results yet. Thanks for the good link--it is helping.

Randy--I like your version, even low-res. I'll try it on RAW file.

Dwayne - Feel free to work on it. I'll be anxious to see what you do.

Thanks!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Here is the tweak Lauren,

tweak

-cropped the photo a tad tigher as the photo is a bit top heavy and
    placed to the sky to 1/3 rule

-lightened (dodge) a hotspot in (sun) just over the right mountain to
    create some light drama

-lightened (dodge) some of the great shades of green through out the
    photo