rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited September 7, 2009 in People
Glass blower in Costa Rica...

5D with 24 - 105 L, ISO 3200, f 5.6, 1/1600

604947940_AjbPT-L.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Its an interesting shot, but if you hadn't said so in the title, I'd have never noticed the frog. I'd have liked a different angle maybe, and a tighter crop, so yuo've got the frog much more prominently featured. Maybe move down and to the right a bit?

Great title. Made me look!thumb.gif
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did try a tighter crop and think it improves the photo. I did shoot a couple from the angle you suggested, which gave a better angle on the person. However, this photo was taken and exposed for the flame and the triple reflection on the protective glass and moving gave it a different feel. The person was actually background. Thanks for looking, commenting, and helping me improve.

Here is the new crop version:

642625865_yokAV-L.jpg
    edited September 7, 2009
    I wanted to make another comment, and that is of your extremely high ISO, and thus, the resulting noise. I'm going to guess that you didn't need 1/1600, and maybe could have gotten by with something like 1/400 and probably ISO800. Would probably have worked out just as well, and there wouldn't be so much noise.

What are you using to process your images? Lightroom? Or are you shooting Jpg? I'm curious as you seem to have a lot of color noise. That's somewhat easy to remove without really affecting the quality of the photo.

That being said, have you tried this in black and white? The noise might go well with a conversion. I'm not sure how well the flam would translate, but it might be cool.ne_nau.gif
    edited September 7, 2009
    I was in ISO 1600 because most of my shots were of people in the room to the left which was not well lit. So it did not even occur to me to adjust my ISO at that moment when I took this shot near the window and with the flame.

I shoot RAW, and I currently use only DPP. I actually do not notice" the color noise so much (I did a setting "3" NR in DPP) as I usually PP minimally due to the number of shots I often take of sports and family events, etc. This includes cropping like you first noticed.

I did just get Adobe Elements 7 (CS4 looked like too steep a learning curve) and Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 to experiment with. I may play with this photo per your suggestions as I play with these programs.

Thanks for the comments!
    edited September 7, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I was in ISO 1600 !

Your earlier exif posting was 3200. Was there a mistake?

I know how those things can happen. I once shot for 3 days with my D70 before noticing that I'd shot the whole trip on ISO1600, which isn't a good thing on the D70:cry

I try to check routinely, and set it back to lower levels as soon as I'm done with the need for high ISO's.
    edited September 7, 2009
    Oops! ISO 3200. I checked other shots and shutter speed was around 1/200 or so. I probably could have been at ISO 1600 but am not quick enough of mind to remember to check it constantly. This trip did a lot to help me develop this habit better as the lighting in the rain forest and going indoor and outdoors and change from sun to rain helped me think about it (by missing too many shots!).

Thanks! I like the routine of setting it low and having to actively set it higher when I need it. I will add this to my routine.