New here, first picture post...

rpo83rpo83 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited September 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

I found out about dgrin over at ADV, it seems anything Baldy is involved in is great :clap

Here are a few of my Macro shots.

My camera is a Sigma SD14, modified by Sigma Cum Laude with a Leica R mount. So it is back to the old days for me, no AF and manual exposure. I must say i'm enjoying it, though alot of shots to begin with were out of focus :wxwax

The first shot, i took tonight, i have just received a Leica Elmarit 60 f2.8 Macro.(old 3 cam model) so i needed a test shot. I decided to take a pic of the engraving on the side of my 35-70 Vario ROM

The lens was bellows mounted at full extension, 30 second exposure, ISO50 f8. I need to start writing this stuff down now as exif is no longer usable...

SDIM0864.jpg

These next shots were taken on the bellows but with a Leica Elmarit 100 f4 Macro bellows lens.

SDIM0246.jpg

SDIM0488.jpg

C&C welcome
Cheers

Steve

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Welcome to the forum Steve - interesting camera setup you have and lovely pics- esp like the iris diaphragm pic - looks like a grey shade test :)

Brian v.
  • rpo83rpo83 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome Brian,

I have just been browsing your gallery..... clap.gifclap Fantastic work..

I am very new to Macro photography, i have bought some old manual Leica gear, but i don't really have much of a clue about how to use it yet.

One question i have for you and any other macro photographers reading, how do you get so close to the subjects, especially the living/flying ones??

For the close up of the Leica engraving, i had the front element of the 60mm lens almost touching the subject, i don't want to get that close to spiders, they may not enjoy the attention :poke

Are there any good resources you can point me too?
    Cheers

Steve
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Hi Steve - using my MPE-65 lens at max mag the end of the lens is about 4cms away from the subject.
    Lots of info on my setups and use here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 8, 2009
    welcome steve! not really my type of pics good good first shots, good texture detail in the last frame
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I love the guitar, I looked at it as an abstract and it took me some time to recognise it. It might not be very macro, but the composition is spot on.
  • rpo83rpo83 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks Guys,

I am just rekindling my love of photography, it wained for a long time while life got in the way..

The macro thing is new and interesting for me, so i'm just finding my feet.

Slowhand, i love the guitar shot, i am just starting to learn to play, something i have wanted to do for a long time, but never got around to it. It must be my mid life crisis, taking on artistic sensibilities...

My new guitar arrives hopefully by the end of the month, some stunning timbers are being used so look out for alot of photos thumb.gif I loved the tiny depth of field that the macro lens on the bellows produces, and the transition to OOF, it really made that image work for me...
    Cheers

Steve
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    These shots are crazy good! I could not figure out the guitar until I read the post. And the diaphragm and Leica shot (especially with the band of focus) are great.

Welcome and thanks for posting!