My first candid portraits...

videotape74videotape74 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited September 7, 2009 in People
My best friend recently had a birthday party for his daughter. These are some shots I took with my 20D, I then ran them through an onOne filter or two then sharpened a bit and cropped in CS4. Any C & C is welcomed....thanks!

3897662616_1f6b0a764f.jpg

3896883773_57600a3785.jpg

3897663088_0d392afdd5.jpg

3897663494_a64d03e062.jpg
Nikon D200
Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro Nikkor
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Really nice job! Great pictures and it looks as if the kids are very relaxed in front of a camera. I'd have been tempted to crop like mad, as there's some stuff in the first three that aren't really necessary to the pics (esp in B & W); and then I looked again and saw there was just a slight hint of colour in the pics; so what on earth is happening here? I'm confused… …Doctor! My eyes! Oh my god!

…so, what's the story with the faint colour?

If you're going for colour, then go for colour; if you're doing the B&W thing then go ahead, but the part this and part that ends up being neither, and totally confusing… (IMNSHO… just my preference, you understand - I could never get into the B&W & colour in the same frame; to me it nearly always looks like a mistake made at the colour processing house (we've all seen dozens of those), however there are exceptions (see "Pleasantville" - see threads passim))

…that being said, I think the pictures are very good, and have great potential, especially #1; I'd crop like hell on #1 and do it in B&W. #2's OK, but the focus isn't as good as that on #1; #3 is confusing with the colour thing. #4 might be really good in full glorious colour.

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • videotape74videotape74 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …that being said, I think the pictures are very good, and have great potential, especially #1; I'd crop like hell on #1 and do it in B&W. #2's OK, but the focus isn't as good as that on #1; #3 is confusing with the colour thing. #4 might be really good in full glorious colour.

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil

thanks for the tips, i thought that the colour/b & w might get some people! lol

as for the crop on #1 how would you crop it...take in the sides?
    Nikon D200
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    edited September 7, 2009
    thanks for the tips, i thought that the colour/b & w might get some people! lol

as for the crop on #1 how would you crop it...take in the sides?

You're welcome…

…I took a look at #1, and actually it isn't too bad as is (the arms and the proximity really give the impression of warmth and best friends - the expressions are priceless!); I tried a couple of things (landscape, tighter landscape, square, and portrait), but the one I liked best was this one:
    edited September 7, 2009
    …and on reflection, I think I like yours better!!!! eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil
    edited September 7, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …and on reflection, I think I like yours better!!!! eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil

i wanted to leave some background and yeah...i liked the closeness of the girls. thought it worked... mwink.gif
    Nikon D200
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Like what you captured. Great expressions.

I'm not liking the partial saturation that's going on there, though. In the 4th one, the brightness of that object in the lower corner gets pretty distracting, in part because of the desaturation of everything else (IMHO). Still, wonderful moments.

What is she holding in the third picture? It looks like it has little toes at the bottom of it. Couldn't figure that out...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited September 7, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    What is she holding in the third picture? It looks like it has little toes at the bottom of it. Couldn't figure that out...

a stuffed puppy dog! lol
    Nikon D200
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    +1 to black and white or color.

Overall, looks good.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Good ole 20d! If only my 40d took pics like it.