Cleveland National Air Show

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited December 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
a few shots from the air show this Labor Day weekend...
642303101_sx7c2-L-1.jpg

642315908_dJ4TU-XL-1.jpg

642319597_aM6HZ-XL-1.jpg

642334761_NR4gS-L-1.jpg

There are more in my Cleveland National Air Show - 2009 gallery
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Very cool shots thumb.gif
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Howdy Steve,

Really neat shots, love the different compositions and great depth of

details.

Nice Crisp, and Clean!!!

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    These are very well done. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Crisp and clean as mentioned.
    Looks like the light was very good to you.
    The blue in the skies is near perfect.

While they are all good, I particularly like #1.

I can get over the lack of enough rotor blur in the
    last shot. :D Still a sweet pic.
    Michael
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    These are very well done. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Crisp and clean as mentioned.
    Looks like the light was very good to you.
    The blue in the skies is near perfect.

While they are all good, I particularly like #1.

I can get over the lack of enough rotor blur in the
    last shot.
    :D Still a sweet pic.

Thanks everyone... this was really my first experience with shooting action moving this fast. I learned a lot about panning and tracking (like it's damn hard to do through a view screen... no eye piece on my camera), and also got a good feel for how much lens I will need for this type of photography when I finally get a DSLR.

I too would have liked a little more rotor blur in the last photo to give more of a feeling of motion. I was fighting with dying batteries (both sets of batteries puked on me during the course of the day... I think it's time for some new rechargeables) and I didn't think to slow the shutter down a couple steps for the Apache shots.
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
    edited September 9, 2009
    Now I has ta know what camera you were using to acquire these shots
    and walk away with this kind of good. Are these straight out of camera
    or did you pass these through some PP? :D
    Michael
    edited September 9, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Now I has ta know what camera you were using to acquire these shots
    and walk away with this kind of good. Are these straight out of camera
    or did you pass these through some PP? :D

These, along with all the other photos on my site, were shot with a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. They spent a little time in PP, cleaned up the "grain" in the blue skies using Topaz DeJpeg and then made some minor adjustments through the LAB curves.
    Scooba Steve

edited September 12, 2009
    Steve, thanks for this answer. I am just now looking into Topaz. So far I have
    been testing "Adjust". I wouldn't have guessed to try DeJpeg for grain
    removal. When I get to it I will have to see how it does.

Looked at the Canon SX100. Which led directly to the SX20. Just might
    have to give that camera a go if the reviews bode well. Unbelievable range.
    :D Michael
    Michael
    DaddyO wrote:
    Steve, thanks for this answer. I am just now looking into Topaz. So far I have
    been testing "Adjust". I wouldn't have guessed to try DeJpeg for grain
    removal. When I get to it I will have to see how it does.

Looked at the Canon SX100. Which led directly to the SX20. Just might
    have to give that camera a go if the reviews bode well. Unbelievable range.
    :D Michael

After purchasing Adjust I've been receiving promotional deals on other Topaz products... DeNoise would have been a better product to remove the "grain" from the photos but, I missed out on the recent offer for DeNoise, with a little tweaking DeJpeg got the job done

The upper level Canon P&S's are very capable (not to mention extremely user friendly)... however as my photography experience advances the limitations of my camera have quickly become very apparent. I really wish I would have spent the extra money when I had it and got a lower level Canon DSLR. Now I'm waiting until I have the money again for an XSi, at the very least, or maybe a T1i.
    Scooba Steve

I managed some good photos with the 300D. About the only thing it didn't
    have that I wanted was flash compensation. But that was easy enough to
    work around.
    I would think that the XSi would do a fine job with few drawbacks if any. I see it doesn't use the BP-511 battery... standard for so many canon cameras. Can't say I like that.

I sold off a bunch of stuff and bought a 30D awhile back. I see the price on
    body only 40D is coming down. Hmmm. :D Wonder if I could scare up some
    cash.
    Michael
    I don't think the improvements to the T1i over the XSi is really worth the extra cost to me... and I really don't have a need for video capture in a DSLR. I will most likely get the XSi (especially since the price has been dropping little by little since the introduction of the T1i.
    Scooba Steve

Costco had a nice XSi bundle package with IS lenses + over Christmas last year. But it seems my oldest has lost interest in DSLR's. Guess she saved me
    some bucks.

Have got to get my hands on that SX20 or at least find some results on the
    net.
    Michael
  • pardespardes Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    These, along with all the other photos on my site, were shot with a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. They spent a little time in PP, cleaned up the "grain" in the blue skies using Topaz DeJpeg and then made some minor adjustments through the LAB curves.
    I'm glad to hear it was a Canon. I just bought the Canon SX20 IS which is a lot easier for use with commuting by bike everywhere. Lugging the Nikon dslr or even the new Pentax dslr was dragging down this 64 year old body.

I'm really thrilled with the Canon. It's a P&S yes, but a fantastic one and I suspect I will only miss the Nikon/Pentax sister and brother in very special circumstances.

Good photos, thanks for posting them.
    "A photograph is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus
  • tiggrtootiggrtoo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Terrific shots! I especially like the shot of the Mustang. It really is great.clap.gif
    Ted G.
    Thought before action, if there is time.
    http://tedgriffithphotography.smugmug.com/
    edited December 12, 2009
    pardes wrote:
    I'm glad to hear it was a Canon. I just bought the Canon SX20 IS which is a lot easier for use with commuting by bike everywhere. Lugging the Nikon dslr or even the new Pentax dslr was dragging down this 64 year old body.

I'm really thrilled with the Canon. It's a P&S yes, but a fantastic one and I suspect I will only miss the Nikon/Pentax sister and brother in very special circumstances.

Good photos, thanks for posting them.

I'm not surprised that you are pleased with your Canon P&S. As soon as my finances allow I'll be stepping up to a Canon DSLR, but I'll be retaining my Canon P&S for a runaround/scouting camera.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the replies.
    Scooba Steve