Laos rice paddies

MPCMPC Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited September 8, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi guys,

Just the one shot. Do you think it works?! Any C&C most appreciated!

3897828945_9ee1cdc8d1_o.jpg

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    It mostly works. I like the composition and the paddies, mountains and structures. The upper right "white" sky is where it does not work for me as it is glaring and distracting. Is the sky blue in the color version? I think having green paddies and brown mountains might work better (especially if the sky is blue).

Thanks for sharing.
  • MPCMPC Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Yes, I see where you are coming from... They're white clouds in the top right corner. Tried darkening them a little but in the conversion (gradient map) they are lost. Is there much I could try to keep them looking okay?

Below is the colour version and also a version with the opacity of the gradient map layer turned down to about 40%. Any better?

3898755600_9aeff19ba9_o.jpg

3898755320_12979f7256_o.jpg

Matt
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    I am not one to advise you on post processing. I do think the color versions are quite an improvement because the white sky does not stand out nearly as much. Between the two, I like the last version the best for the colors of the rice paddies.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Hi Matt what an awesome capture! I think this shot has great potential but out of the three you posted so far, I like the second the best. It has the most detail in the sky and in the foreground... you definitely should not do anything that loses the definition of all those dramatic clouds, or in the grass.

I think the colors are nice but since the light is a little flat due to the weather, I think a black and white conversion would probably work well. Your first image shows this, although you've lost detail in the upper right sky. There are a couple of tutorials linked from the Dgrin navbar that will offer some suggestions on how to do it (there are so many ways to skin a cat) but you've already done most of the work going there and shooting this. :ivar