Thinking About the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VR Lens...

printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited September 14, 2009 in Cameras
I would like some opinions from actual users of the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VR Lens. I am thinking about purchasing one, but, at $700, I want to make sure I am making a wise choice. Keep in mind I currently shoot with a Nikon D40, so an AF-S lens is a must for me. I am not confident or skilled enough at this point to work with manual focusing, I'm afraid. smile_sad.gif

I currently have the kit lens (18-55) and the 55-200 lens (AF-S DX -- no VR). I like both, however I am constantly wishing I had one lens mounted instead of the other when shooting, and feel like I am forever switching the lenses out. I was hoping the 18-200 would solve that issue and give me a good all purpose lens to keep mounted on my camera most of the time.

Would like someone who has used the 55-200 lens AND the one I am considering purchasing to offer an opinion on the potential purchase. I am selling the 35mm AF-S DX I just purchased a couple of months ago, which will help offset the new lens some, since I have never really used it (except for when I first got it to test it out). I am thinking that if I get the new lens I may be able to sell the 55-200 as well, to help defray costs as well (I just got it in December of 08, so it's not even a year old).

My other dilemma is that I also wouldn't mind have a 300 mm zoom (I think there is a 55-300 AF-S as well, that runs about $550). Would you suggest getting that one instead? Of course, then I am back to switching lenses again, but I will have better zoom capabilities. smile_sad.gif

Wow, this is hard on a budget. So many wants...so little money!
~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 7, 2009
    I had a d40x with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses. I sold them both and got the 18-200. Not a bad lens...not a great lens. It is suffers from lens creep. If the lens is facing down, it will slowly creep out. It's a good light weight all around middle of the road lens. It's not great at 18 mm and not great at 200 mm. You could buy a used 18-200 for about $550.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    I would like some opinions from actual users of the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VR Lens. I am thinking about purchasing one, but, at $700, I want to make sure I am making a wise choice. Keep in mind I currently shoot with a Nikon D40, so an AF-S lens is a must for me. I am not confident or skilled enough at this point to work with manual focusing, I'm afraid. smile_sad.gif

I currently have the kit lens (18-55) and the 55-200 lens (AF-S DX -- no VR). I like both, however I am constantly wishing I had one lens mounted instead of the other when shooting, and feel like I am forever switching the lenses out. I was hoping the 18-200 would solve that issue and give me a good all purpose lens to keep mounted on my camera most of the time.

Would like someone who has used the 55-200 lens AND the one I am considering purchasing to offer an opinion on the potential purchase. I am selling the 35mm AF-S DX I just purchased a couple of months ago, which will help offset the new lens some, since I have never really used it (except for when I first got it to test it out). I am thinking that if I get the new lens I may be able to sell the 55-200 as well, to help defray costs as well (I just got it in December of 08, so it's not even a year old).

My other dilemma is that I also wouldn't mind have a 300 mm zoom (I think there is a 55-300 AF-S as well, that runs about $550). Would you suggest getting that one instead? Of course, then I am back to switching lenses again, but I will have better zoom capabilities. smile_sad.gif

Wow, this is hard on a budget. So many wants...so little money!

Never used the 55-200 but, I like evry thing about my 18-200 af-s vr except the brand......I really prefer my Sigma lenses over the Nikon's.......probably the pricing.......but my 18-200 does an outstandsing job when I use it (I like its compactness and the fact that I am NOT changing lenses to go from wide to tele)......my most used lens is my BIGMA (Sigma 50-500...no VR, I may be selling my BigMa to switch to the 150-500 OS in the future) and i manual focus a lot when shooting........if the focus ring is at the back of the lens and is wide enuff to grab with out looking manual focus is fantastic as it gives you 100000's K more creativity than AF does........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks for the input. This is really helpful. I actually am watching a couple of auctions on eBay for used, as well, but I worry about the warranty with that. :(
    ~ Nora

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks for the input. This is really helpful. I actually am watching a couple of auctions on eBay for used, as well, but I worry about the warranty with that. :(

pick up a Square Trade Warranty......I have not had to use one yet {and hope I do not have to} but I prefer to have them especially on used equipment.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited September 8, 2009
    Ah nice tip! I didn't think of that, and I HAVE used them before. They replacement a color laser printer for me, no muss, no fuss! :)
    ~ Nora

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I've had my 18-200 VR for nearly a year, and have never had any problems with it. It's a bit of a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" lens in that it tries to do everything well, but is not brilliant at any one single thing save being very compact; one lens for 18-200mm - great!

I've found mine to perform as to be expected from a zoom-lens, IOW an equivalent prime will beat it in terms of lens performance, but then again for its range (x11) and price (used ~$500), and convenience, it's hard to better it.

The AF is pretty accurate and is very quiet, but like many other automatic labour-saving devices it has to be understood, and the user has to be familiar with its limitations; in other words it can be fooled.

The VR is useful, although I tend to use either a bean-bag, monopod or tripod; that being said, when I first got the lens I did some careful tests using the VR, and found it to be very impressive.

Many users have complained about its "creep", but I've not found it to be a major problem with mine. Nikon have recently (or are about to) release a Mk-II version which has a lock to prevent the "creep" feature, which is A Good Thing, as now the price of used Mk-Is will drop as all the Toy Collectors rush to get the latest & greatest gear, and put all their old toys on eBay or craigslist.

There have been a number of reliable reviews on the web (here's one: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_18-200_3p5-5p6_vr_afs_n15/, and I'm sure there are many others).

Do lots of research, and don't be in too much of a hurry to spend your money (as my ol' Granmama used to say "…it never ceases to amaze me just what folk would rather have than money!" )

HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    The Nikkor 18-200mm is a good, all around DX lens. I picked one up for travel and it is quite versatile. Photos can be surprisingly sharp and contrasty when stopped down a bit.

I found mine used for $550. Be patient, they're out there.
  • echo465echo465 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2009
    I also started out with a d40x, 18-55, and 55-200 (VR version though). The great things that I love about the 18-200:

1. You won't miss a shot because you had the wrong lens on.
    2. Less time with your camera body open = less dust inside it.
    3. You can pack lighter, sometimes leaving the camera bag at home.

however...

It's heavier than either lens by itself. On the d40, the 18-55 seems really well balanced, but the size and weight of the 18-200 feels a little mismatched to the lightweight d40 body.

If you buy used and sell the other two lenses, it's not really THAT expensive (at least, that's what I told my wife rolleyes1.gif)
    edited September 10, 2009
    Yeah, I actually had another "boardie" tell me about the size thing today. I never thought about it, although I knew it would be a bigger lens. I weighed my other two and didn't realize just how MUCH more it was going to weigh...Laughing.gif! I'm thinking convenience of not having to switch, and not having to carry my whole kit around every time I get in the car, will outweigh that issue for me though.

However, he also made me aware of the
    Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS (Optical Stabilizer) HSM Autofocus Aspherical Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, as well. It is half the price of the Nikkor and will work with my camera. Any thoughts on it and/or Sigma lenses. The reviews I have read have seemed pretty good for it. I certainly like the 1/2 the price thing. wings.gif
    ~ Nora

• MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    I'm still learning (only started in April) but I have really enjoyed the 18-200m lens. It's the first lens I've had so I don't have the frame of reference to compare it to the lenses you have.

I have found that there is some lens creep when the you point the lens down but I have never found it to be an issue when using it. The VR has certainly helped to keep the ISO down for indoor/low light shots. I love the fact that with one lens I can play in so many different environments.

I posted a range of pics here all taken with that lens. You can see the rest of pics here: http://mav21.smugmug.com/Travel/Sights-of-NYC/8636449_J82aw#569901897_7kyA5

Hope that helps thumb.gif
    edited September 13, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    I posted a range of pics here all taken with that lens. You can see the rest of pics here: http://mav21.smugmug.com/Travel/Sights-of-NYC/8636449_J82aw#569901897_7kyA5

Hope that helps thumb.gif

Wow. Thanks, Mav. That does. thumb.gif

The fact that you mention they were posted w/o any post processing, straight from camera is awesome. I was impressed with the quality. My mind is made up! :ivar

I really like the water tower pic. It made me smile, for some reason! Seeing that many water towers in one pic is a hoot! I mean you can drive miles around here before you see just ONE!

I also liked the low light one - looks like at a restaurant.
    ~ Nora

• brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Hi, Using the lens in combination with the D90.
    For traveling : nice lens. thumb.gif
    More wide angle would be better. headscratch.gif
    For that reason, mi next lens will Nikor DX 10-24.
    All these are made with the 18-200Vr
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/Holidays/PARIS-2009/9481573_raMev/1/636613265_C8e9m
    Nikon Z5 - D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be