Available Light.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited September 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
All shots were taken with available light, whether a household lamp or late afternoon sun coming in through a window.

Flowers by the Window.
642691819_2i8gU-XL.jpg

. . . On a Hot Day.
642692294_TGzmS-XL.jpg

Make a Call.
642691385_ZBXZJ-XL.jpg

Light From Above.
642728377_gX4fJ-XL.jpg

Take a Seat.
642691576_YznsE-XL.jpg

Take a Letter
642692664_wdSYv-XL.jpg

Take a Moment to Relax.
642692474_XGaaX-XL.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nice series Lee,

I especially like the stand-up phone & the typewriter. Nice light and comp. thumb.gif

I also think the last shot could be something special with some more work, say saturation bump, a little dodge/burn. YMMV

Thanks for posting these
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    This is a great series; I enjoy looking at these! I especially like the fan and phone! It looks natural and it creates the perfect mood for vintage items.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nice captures of some great vintage style.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Lee, Nice works in available light. thumb.gif
    Especially like... Make a Call & Take a Letter.
    Where did you find these vintage subjects?
    Michael
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Very nice set, Lee! thumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thank you Randy, Eia, Andrew, DaddyO and Nikolai.

Randy: I did bump the saturation and contrast just a tad on that last one. Aside from maybe dodging the floor a bit, I'm leaving it as-is. I'm pretty much a realist, so this is about as far as I'm going with the colors.

DaddyO: I was apartment-sitting for a friend this past weekend. He and his fiancee are very much into the vintage lifestyle, including dress . . . daily! (They don't even have a microwave, but he's a software engineer and has several computers, cell phones, iPods . . .) Every antique you see here - along with several dozen others - not only works but gets regular use. I actually used the candlestick phone a couple of times. Even the apartment building they live in was erected in 1929. The flowers, by the way, are on top of a late '20s wind-up Victrola.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Ain't it nice to be at liberty to choose such a lifestyle.

I'd love going to a place where there were so many nice
    vintage items and photographing them such as you have. :D
    I'll have to ask around and see what I can find local or near
    local. Theres a couple of bed and breakfast places that could
    fit the bill.
    Michael
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    What a wonderful series of things that are old and then the last photo is something modern :D
    edited September 8, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    What a wonderful series of things that are old and then the last photo is something modern :D

Well, sorta. . . . Since everything else is from the '20s, '30s and '40s (except for the flowers), then I guess a chair from a '50s could be considered modern. :D

Thank you, Mary Kim!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Well, sorta. . . . Since everything else is from the '20s, '30s and '40s (except for the flowers), then I guess a chair from a '50s could be considered modern. :D

Thank you, Mary Kim!

Ha...after I posted my comment I thought about that chair. It was from the 50/60's wasn't it rolleyes1.gif Now they sell that stuff as "modern" furniture. Looks comfy tho.
    edited September 8, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ha...after I posted my comment I thought about that chair. It was from the 50/60's wasn't it rolleyes1.gif Now they sell that stuff as "modern" furniture. Looks comfy tho.

His fiancee loves it; it's her favorite. She often sits in it while knitting. In fact, I moved the coffee table out of the way for the shot and on it was some of her knitting.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I love take a seat the best.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Hi Lee,

This is truly an outstanding series of shots. They take me on a magic carpet ride back to scenes I remember very well. I, too, am a minimalist when it comes to bumping color, saturation, etc. and I love your approach in that regard with these pictures. Your eye for these type shots is fantastic.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.