Wedding Challenges Discussion, Questions, Answers, etc

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' ItRegistered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Weddings
This thread is dedicated/intended to make it easier to disucss questions, answers, etc of a general nature as relates to the Wedding Challenges Contest.

Questions, discussions, etc related to a specific topic should be posted in that topic's thread.

Topics will be announced and results posted in the Wedding Challenges Contest: Rules and "Top Threes" thread

Comments

  • rhommelrhommel Major grins Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    good stuff! just wondering have we picked the 'theme' for September?

    p.s. this should thread 'sticky'.. no? :)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    rhommel wrote:
    good stuff! just wondering have we picked the 'theme' for September?

    p.s. this should thread 'sticky'.. no? :)
    The thread has been made a sticky - that was in the plans but I'm not a mod. I had to get Agnieszka to help out with that.

    As one of the steps of getting this thing ready, up, and running ... I coordinated with heatherfeather, asking her to be the first host/judge. She's returning from a destination wedding over the weekend and will be starting a thread for the first topic later this afternoon.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Major grins Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Maybe this has already been asked... but is there a reason "Wedding Challenges" are not in the Challenges forum?
    Webpage

    Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • QarikQarik Krazy Korean Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    This thread is dedicated/intended to make it easier to disucss questions, answers, etc of a general nature as relates to the Wedding Challenges Contest.

    Questions, discussions, etc related to a specific topic should be posted in that topic's thread.

    Topics will be announced and results posted in the <A href="http://"http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143099&quot; target=_blank>Wedding Challenges Contest: Rules and "Top Threes" thread

    The link appears broken. My question..we can use past photos right? No restrictions wrt to when you took the picture?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,739 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Yes... use your past work. (Otherwise it would be a pretty lame contest since weddings are really seasonal for some of us.)

    And if the link doesn't work, it is stickied to the weddings forum.

    iloveyou.gif
  • QarikQarik Krazy Korean Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    heatherfeather has agreed to be host and judge for the first topic and, due to scheduling conflicts (she'll be returning from a gig!) will be posting her selection later this afternoon! It'll be interesting to see what she selects!!

    Thanks Heather!

    One thing to keep in mind here..I think this is potentially a good little marketing tool for the winners if they should choose to use it. "Winner of the August 2009 Dgrin Wedding Contest". Keep the structure/verbiage of these challenges such that winners can have something to point to on their website for example. Just an idea.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    The link appears broken. My question..we can use past photos right? No restrictions wrt to when you took the picture?
    Fixed. Sorry.
  • urbanariesurbanaries hoosier grins Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    are engagement photos fair game or just weddings?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    are engagement photos fair game or just weddings?
    Umm ... Yes :D


    OK, that wasn't really responsive. Any photo related to weddings (e-sessions, etc) are all fair game. They are all part of our industry.
  • MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Big grins Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Maybe this has already been asked... but is there a reason "Wedding Challenges" are not in the Challenges forum?

    i would think to keep the wedding shooters over here instead of going thru challanges?

    Scott?
    ____________
    Wedding shooters rule!
    (......just 'what' i'm not sure :scratch )
    ~
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    MA-FOTO wrote:
    i would think to keep the wedding shooters over here instead of going thru challanges?

    Scott?
    Your guess is as good as mine on this. Maybe because this is where Jeff proposed it be done and nobody thought to host it in challenges?
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Photoshopping ... Between Denver and BostonRegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,262
    edited September 10, 2009
    Your guess is as good as mine on this. Maybe because this is where Jeff proposed it be done and nobody thought to host it in challenges?

    I don't think there is any good reason for it. I just took over the idea. I actually think it's nice to have it in the same place ... ne_nau.gifiloveyou.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Major grins Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    I guess I asked because "challenge" was in the title and it's just like the mini-challenges...

    True, it's wedding-related, but why not get people to visit more sections of the forum by putting it in Challenges, and get some cross-pollination happening? Challenge folks might come to the wedding thread, wedding folks might try their hands some of the challenges... in which case I should just give up because you guys are gooood :)

    Just a thought, and in the end it really is ok either way :)
    Webpage

    Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,739 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Great idea for October tenoverthenose! Dragging the shutter is going to stretch us all! : ) Can't wait to see what people come up with! Especially me... headscratch.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Grinning...and bearing it Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I guess I asked because "challenge" was in the title and it's just like the mini-challenges...

    True, it's wedding-related, but why not get people to visit more sections of the forum by putting it in Challenges, and get some cross-pollination happening? Challenge folks might come to the wedding thread, wedding folks might try their hands some of the challenges... in which case I should just give up because you guys are gooood :)

    Just a thought, and in the end it really is ok either way :)

    The weddings folks who can squeeze in the time DO shoot for the "other " challenges.

    To answer your original question....

    The original intent here was to create a single place where we could all go to peruse inspirational images according to theme or type. By asking for a single image from entrants....those that we think are our best.....we should be able to get some REALLY great looking images socked away for future reference and inspiration. The idea of having them judged and selecting a winner will GREATLY ease the burden of hosting this....and deciding the next theme on whoever is in charge (that would be Scott). So the "challenge" or competition part of it is really only a means to spread the work around the community on this project.....this project that can really only push us to improve.

    2nd and 3rd places are fine.....and fun for sure, but really only serve to allow for a backup system in the event that our 1st place shooter cannot(for whatever reason) host the next round. We all know how busy wedding photography can keep us, and so that was a way of not having to really pin an extra burden on someone if they are simply too busy to host.


    At the time of it's inception, there were some excersizes and such going on in "people" and we always can count on the "technique" section with Nik's ongoing lessons.

    THIS.....was something special to wedding photography, and so it is here......


    Enjoy!thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,739 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    Had to dig up this thread to ask this protocol question:

    Is it kosher to start a new thread to ask for assistance in choosing which photo to use for the current challenge? Or is that supposed to go in this thread? Or should I just be a "big girl" and figure it out for myself?

    What do you say Boss?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Had to dig up this thread to ask this protocol question:

    Is it kosher to start a new thread to ask for assistance in choosing which photo to use for the current challenge? Or is that supposed to go in this thread? Or should I just be a "big girl" and figure it out for myself?

    What do you say Boss?
    Boss? ne_nau.gif.

    Other challenge forums "allow" the starting a new thread for "which one do you think" type questions and I think that might be appropriate for our challenge as well.

    This thread, I believe, will better serve all if it is more or less limited to questions of the type you asked .... that is, policy, procedure, etc that will be of interested to all who participate in the challenges.
Sign In or Register to comment.