Options

Resize with Friedl's LR-Smug plugin

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 8, 2009 in Finishing School
Quick question - I'm using JFriedl's export to SmugMug plugin from LR and have a POWER (oops!) account. With my Canon 50D, I find that some uncropped shots hit the max size of the account and get rejected. I had been setting the uploader to resize so that the longest side was 4000 pixels. Wondering if there are other suggestions on which variable to adjust on upload to ensure that it arrives on the Smugmug server in the best form.
Thanks,
E

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    A pro account will accept JPG files up to 24MB (reference). To date, I've not had any problems with any JPG from either my 50D or my 5D2.

Is there any chance you are uploading significantly noisy photos? JPGs tend to be larger with more noise as they are more difficult to compress.

The only time I've run into the size restriction was when I was attempting to upload a pano built from 14 50D exposures - that JPG, full sized, full quality, full resolution came in at only 28MB. Drop the quality (not the size) by one notch and it uploaded with no issues.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Hey Scott,
    This is with uncropped shots from the 50D at iso under 400. It seems to happen in one to two out of 30 shots that I process (not all 30 are left uncropped). I just had it happen the other day with the newest version of the plugin. I'll see if others comment on this but may head over to JFriedl's blog to post about the issue.
    Thanks,
    E
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Scott,
    This is with uncropped shots from the 50D at iso under 400. It seems to happen in one to two out of 30 shots that I process (not all 30 are left uncropped). I just had it happen the other day with the newest version of the plugin. I'll see if others comment on this but may head over to JFriedl's blog to post about the issue.
    Thanks,
    E
    Have you attempted to export one or more of the "problem children" to disk, just to see if they do exceed the 24MB limit?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Hey Scott,
    I'm an idiot - meant to type that I have a Power accountheadscratch.gif
    E
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Scott,
    I'm an idiot - meant to type that I have a Power accountheadscratch.gif
    E
    Welcome to the club (of idiots). I'm a charter member deal.gif

If I have time this afternoon, I'll see if I can actually generate a 12MB JPG from a 50D file. With a Pro account, I've not had to worry about the size of the JGPs, so I don't know. Interesting.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Scott,
    Thanks,
    E

Drop the quality to 90%. This will reduce file size in the order of 30% with very little degradation to IQ. Also..stupid question..you are not upload raw files are you?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Drop the quality to 90%. This will reduce file size in the order of 30% with very little degradation to IQ. Also..stupid question..you are not upload raw files are you?

No - JPEGs. I couldn't decide the better route - decrease the quality or resize so that longest dimension was 4000 pixels. I may go 95% as I think the size difference is pretty close.
    E