Swan Illuminati

sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
643085209_DDMme-L.jpg

We have several lakes in our development, many of which have fountains in them, as well as swans that live in various ones too. In the one closest to us, the swan pair there likes to hang out on the fountain fixture at night when the water is off with the lights on. I finally made it out there the other day to grab a shot. Kinda hard to get them to hold still and swans are very territorial so you have to be careful how close you get (notice the one giving me the 'stare'). There's actually two of them, one behind the other, which accounts for the blur behind the front one.
Shootin' the kids (volleyball and baseball that is)!
Nikon D3/D80, Nikkor 80-200/2.8, 28-70/2.8, SB800

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nice photo, but wish it was bigger so I could see it better. Do they go by the lights for the warmth?
  • sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Nice photo, but wish it was bigger so I could see it better. Do they go by the lights for the warmth?

Thanks for the comment. Here's a link to a larger image if you want to check it out: http://www.photoseal.net/photos/643085209_DDMme-X2.jpg
    Given that we're in Houston in the summer, I doubt that they're very cold. I think they just like to sit there in the lights. When the fountain is going, they'll also come right up next to it and just sit there with the water falling on them. Haven't got a shot of that yet.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Thanks for the comment. Here's a link to a larger image if you want to check it out: http://www.photoseal.net/photos/643085209_DDMme-X2.jpg
    Given that we're in Houston in the summer, I doubt that they're very cold. I think they just like to sit there in the lights. When the fountain is going, they'll also come right up next to it and just sit there with the water falling on them. Haven't got a shot of that yet.

That is a beautiful photo. Bigger is good since I could see who's neck belonged to whom rolleyes1.gif

Suppose in Houston they don't need the warmth of the lights...here they would.

Looking forward to seeing a photo of them under the water thumb.gif
  • sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    That is a beautiful photo. Bigger is good since I could see who's neck belonged to whom rolleyes1.gif

Suppose in Houston they don't need the warmth of the lights...here they would.

Looking forward to seeing a photo of them under the water thumb.gif

Thanks again for your comments. They were actually hanging out under the water late last night when I got home but I didn't get there in time before the fountain shut off (timer). I'm keeping an eye out for a chance to grab them when they're taking a "shower".