Options

equipment leasing?

photographixphotographix Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited September 8, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
hello folks. :D with the new model of camera body coming out about every other day! why or whay not leas equipment ? i'd like to hear the pro's and con's on this from some folks in the bizz. and is any one still doing this kind of thing? so chime in please. it seams to me that it's smarter to leas and up grade once a year than to get stuck with last years model and tech. is this good or bad business sense? and why?

Rick
just be nice THATS ALL! www.photographix.smugmug.com :seamus

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    hello folks. :D with the new model of camera body coming out about every other day! why or whay not leas equipment ? i'd like to hear the pro's and con's on this from some folks in the bizz. and is any one still doing this kind of thing? so chime in please. it seams to me that it's smarter to leas and up grade once a year than to get stuck with last years model and tech. is this good or bad business sense? and why?

Rick
    You (accurate) description of the life-span of a camera body pretty much move the camera from the domain of a capital asses to that of a business consumable. A business can lease a capital asset but rarely, if ever, a consumable. It would be impossible for the owner of the item being leased to recover all costs AND make a profit.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    You (accurate) description of the life-span of a camera body pretty much move the camera from the domain of a capital asses to that of a business consumable. A business can lease a capital asset but rarely, if ever, a consumable. It would be impossible for the owner of the item being leased to recover all costs AND make a profit.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    Renting bodies out may make some sense, but leasing most likely would be cost prohibitive... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    Renting bodies out may make some sense, but leasing most likely would be cost prohibitive... ne_nau.gif

Calumet photo has leasing options. Here are their leasing options for the Canon EOS-7D camera body.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/EC27100/leasing
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    cfrey6 wrote:
    Calumet photo has leasing options. Here are their leasing options for the Canon EOS-7D camera body.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/EC27100/leasing
    Oh, well, yeah, sure... So, in a year, after you paid
    12mo * $182.75/mo = $2,193 (+ tax + s/h)
    you can buy it for $1....

The concept of "lease" generally assumes certain "residual" amout. In this case residual seem to be .. $1. Plus you pay several hundred extra for your "convenience".
    This is not leasing, just a typical (i.e. very expensive) store financing, if you ask me. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Renting gear makes total sense. Renting something for a month when you need it or to replace a broken piece of gear while it's repaired is fine. As mentioned, leasing makes no sense.