CH # 42 - I have been struggling

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited July 8, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I get fustrated with my self because my sports shots and all the other stuff dont compare.
Why do I suck at the rest of photograhpy.
That being said, this is an idea I am playing with.

26833126-M-1.jpg

Comments

• purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    That is so cool! I love that idea... and is that glass ball supposed to be something other than well... a glass ball? rolleyes1.gif

Great setting, beautiful colors. The only thing that seems off is part of the hand is cut off... but then again that might only be preference. If there's any room to add a smidge of contrast without going overboard, you could try that as well and see how you like it.

Did you edit the blur on yourself? Because I'd like to see a version where the ball and hand is more in focus.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    purified wrote:
    That is so cool! I love that idea... and is that glass ball supposed to be something other than well... a glass ball? rolleyes1.gif

Great setting, beautiful colors. The only thing that seems off is part of the hand is cut off... but then again that might only be preference. If there's any room to add a smidge of contrast without going overboard, you could try that as well and see how you like it.

Did you edit the blur on yourself? Because I'd like to see a version where the ball and hand is more in focus.
    Yeah I was trying to think of some sort of symbolism for the glass ball but right now all it is is a glass ball that flips my images.

I didnt do much to it in post, well honestly nothing other than levels, I will post the orginal here in a 2nd, the DOF was set kind of low so I think it threw my hand out....I was just playing with the ball again now and it seems the straighter on from teh camera the better off it is.

Thanks for commenting I appreciate it.
    edited July 2, 2005
    The orginal
    26854191-M.jpg
    Orginal photo
    edited July 2, 2005
    some others:

26856247-M-1.jpg

26856249-M.jpg

26856251-M-1.jpg

26856252-M-1.jpg

26856256-M-1.jpg
    edited July 2, 2005
    First of all, I think you should keep the whole photo, no cropping. Second, I'd play with the colors a bit, brighten them up, make them more noticeable. In fact, I experimented with it a little myself.

http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/4362206/674280

EDIT: Oh, and that flag one is very good too!! It goes nicely with our upcoming holiday. :)

I hope it's all right that I'm playing with your photos. I just did a little altering to the flag one so you can just see what it looks like with a little brightening and contrast.

http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/4362272/674280

Make sure you put a border around your photos when you enter them too. It makes any photograph more noticeable. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • lpswimmer003lpswimmer003 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    The first thing I thought when I saw that photo is "That's how I feel!! Like someone has turned my life upside down!" How's that for your symbolism?

Great shots, I really like them. thumb.gif
    Aly

Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but it's still fun to watch them tumble down the stairs.:rofl
    edited July 5, 2005
    Thanks for the comments.

The more that I think about it the more I think I like the flag one.......
    and the more I realise I need to send that camera in to canon to get what ever the heck is on that sensor.

Here is one I took tonight, much better than my firework photos last year....but still doesnt have the pop my sports photos has.
    27139997-M.jpg

And here is what I have come up on the edited flay one (see Erik I played with PS aren't you proud)
    27141388-M.jpg

I still feel like I am in a rut, creatively and ablity to turn out photos that grab people.
    But my friend had a good point the other day, I have shot a TON of sports, so of course I am going to have alot of great photos, but I dont sit there and spend 3 hours on other stuff and gather as many shots. So maybe I am in just a smaller rut now.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Very cool pictures, that ball looks like alot of fun. The flag is my favorite, the perspective is great that along with more of your hand in the shot works for me.

Best regards,
    douglas
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I know the rut you speak of, especially lately, and have seen others say the same. Don't feel bad. Maybe we are like little kids that need one step backwards before moving up two....ne_nau.gif

I like your shots, the ball is cool, and I like the "surreal" look of the fireworks and building. Just be yourself, and do some fun things. The creative spirit does come back. Maybe you are impatient with yourself. I am of me. headscratch.gif

I didn't even bring my camera with me to the fireworks show tonight...but I sure sat there and wished I had it with me.rolleyes1.gif

douglas wrote:
    Very cool pictures, that ball looks like alot of fun. The flag is my favorite, the perspective is great that along with more of your hand in the shot works for me.

Best regards,
    douglas
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 6, 2005
    winger wrote:
    And here is what I have come up on the edited flay one (see Erik I played with PS aren't you proud)
    My heart is atither. :D

I feel your pain. I'm on the verge of selling all my gear to pay off some house bills. I haven't had time to spend more than 5 minutes on photography since May or so. But I'll have a house, right? Just keep telling myself that...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    I would go with the flag shot. It looks really good to me and the crystal ball effect is great. clap.gif

Erich
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    I like the globe and flag the best. If you want to, try this on the fireworks photo:

Desaturate
    Brightness and contrast
    Small unsharp mask adjustment

I think it will give the photo more pop.
    edited July 7, 2005
    maybe this shot better than the flag.

I may try to go out and reshoot the flag one if we ever get blue sky again, but the more I look at it the more I like it, I think
    I dunno, you know how a slump and uncertainty go hand and hand.

26833241-M-1.jpg
    edited July 8, 2005
    Definitely the flag one is better. You cannot beat the lighting in that picture and in this one I can tell you took it somewhere shady or in the dark, and I don't really like the feel of it. But the dog is certainly cute. ;)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly