Toys for shootout

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited September 10, 2009 in Cameras
I'm going on the DGrin shootout next month & since I don't have to pay for airfare I thought I would treat myself to renting a few toys. My current gear includes:

Canon 40D
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS)
Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-5.6
Canon 17-55 EFS kit lens (don't really use, came w/my original Rebel)
Canon 70-300 f3.5-5.6 IS (don't use much since I got the 70-200)
Generic tripod ($50 - really only good for taking family group shots w/self timer)

I plan on taking primarily landscape shots (and I like to hike), not too many wildlife shots.

Toys I am considering:

Good tripod - 2 options from lensrentals.com (I use them quite a bit)
1) A combo rental - includes Velbon's El Carmagne Carbon fiber legs topped with a Markins Q3 Ballhead
2) Rent separately a Giotto MH1302 medium duty ballhead plus rent a pair of Giotto legs

Ultra wide angle lens (one of the following):
1) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
2) Tokina 12-24 f/4
3) Sigma 10-20 f3.5
4) Canon EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5

Off camera remote - I'd like to try star trails but I'm not sure if I have the gear/lenses & I thought I would need an off-camera remote for this.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Stephanie

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    A tripod is an absolute must have. Long exposures in the early morning/evening. Cannot do this trip without a tripod.

A remote is also a good thing to have. One of us (me) doesn't have one yet, and at previous shootouts, I caused quite the ruckus using my timer!!

(Makes a note to get a remote!!!)

Filters.

A little LED light for working in the dark.

The 10-22/10-20. You will use that a lot too.

ann
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    For a remote, I have them but never use them. I always just put my camera in timer mode for 1 or 2 second count down and use the camera that way. I also find the IR remotes to be a little temperamental so you may want to play with them before using it for the first time. (Also take a spare remote battery)
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    tokina 11-16mm is the optically superior to all the other WA I believe
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I plan on taking primarily landscape shots (and I like to hike), not too many wildlife shots.

Toys I am considering:

1) A combo rental - includes Velbon's El Carmagne Carbon fiber legs topped with a Markins Q3 Ballhead
    2) Rent separately a Giotto MH1302 medium duty ballhead plus rent a pair of Giotto legs

1) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    2) Tokina 12-24 f/4
    3) Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Off camera remote - I'd like to try star trails but I'm not sure if I have the gear/lenses & I thought I would need an off-camera remote for this.

Hello,

Definitely a remote timer. Some would say essential for landscape photography, and it will make the low light / night stuff much easier. You don't need anything fancy - just a cable release where the button can be locked in the "on" position. For longer star trails you might leave the shutter open for several hours - your timer just can't pull this one off.

Star trails - With one of the wides you'll be all set. I don't know about the relative sharpness of the lenses you've listed, but for night stuff the f/2.8 will serve you better.

Remember, if you rent some type of ballhead you'll also need the stuff to connect it to your camera. Some type of plate for the bottom of the camera - (I know the Arca-Swiss system, but am not sure what Markins and Giotto use for their clamps.)

A couple of filters to consider (maybe you already have these / know about them - if so never mind) - a polarizer - can cut some glare on wet leaves, letting the fall colors pop a little better. An ND filter - a dark piece of glass that will make your shutter speeds longer - this is how folks get water to look silky in waterfall and sea shots.

A couple extra batteries - star trail and long exposure shots can chew these up.

Ann's idea of a headlight with a red light is a good one. Make sure it has a good flashlight as well - both for light painting and getting back to the car.

A bottle of No-Doz.

Hope that's a little bit helpful......
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    not sure how many hours will be available for shootout. With your own 5 lens, you may not have enough time to use all of them. Renting one or two may be fun to try out but please don't waste too much on the rental and end up not using it.

Tripod, remote and flash are all import. Remember to bring along a good backpack for all the toys. Extra batteries and cards are also needed.

Good fun, enjoy the shootout. Just too far for me to join you.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Borrowlenses.com has a pano head you can rent.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I suggest a simple but really reliable wireless RF shutter release like these from EBAY.......I have used the one that is 5th down the page for my Konica Minolta 7D an d A2 and it works like a dream, I also have one for my Nikon D300's and at less than $18....it is almost a steal......I do replace my batteries just to make sure they are fresh and ready to go.....ofcourse I do this with anything that comes with batteries...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    I would suggest selling the kit lens you have and buying a higher quality standard range wide zoom like the tamron 17-50 2.8, the Sigma 18-50 2.8, the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, or the awesome Canon 17-55 2.8. These ranges are what most people use most of the time - it should be the range you have your best lens in, especially if you want to do landscapes.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    I'm going on the DGrin shootout next month & since I don't have to pay for airfare I thought I would treat myself to renting a few toys. My current gear includes:

Canon 40D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS)
    Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-5.6
    Canon 17-55 EFS kit lens (don't really use, came w/my original Rebel)
    Canon 70-300 f3.5-5.6 IS (don't use much since I got the 70-200)
    Generic tripod ($50 - really only good for taking family group shots w/self timer)

Toys I am considering:

1) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    2) Tokina 12-24 f/4
    3) Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Stephanie

Wired remote, good. I have an gadget infinity one, it works great.
    UWA lens, good. I have the Tokina 12-24 f4. It's a good lens.
    Tripod and head, good. You can send a fortune on these, I just haven't seen the reason why when a $100 tripod can work great.
    That said, I'll be bring my more expensive tripod and head with me.
    But it's more of a height thing. (it goes taller than me and at this time I need it)

I'm going to assume that you have a backpack or bag that can carry all this stuff.
    You could get a 1.4 and/or a 2X teleconverter to get some more reach from your 70-200 f2.8.

I know you prefer landscapes, but should a 2000 pound moose walk by, you may want a shot of it.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    Thank you everyone for responding - Great Advice from all!!!

Ann- I assumed the tripod was going to be the most important accessory I am lacking (not lacking - just really unhappy with what I call my tripod) so it will take precedence on my list. I'll also definitely get a cabled remote just so I don't bother everyone. I have the headlight from my Boy Scout son.

Qarik - I am leaning towards the 11-16 f/2.8. For some reason I just like to have access to that 2.8 aperature.

Steve - when ordering the legs & ballhead I am going to make sure I don't require anything else. I believe the description of the ballhead says it comes with a quick release plate (I'm assuming that is what your are talking about).

Photoskipper - I haven't used my kit lens and the Canon 70-300 in over a year. I bought those two lenses when I first entered the dSLR world and wasn't really sure what I was doing. I just knew I needed a zoom. I have a large camera packpack that I just bought this summer that I really like, it has front & side access to the camera so you can access your camera even when it is on your back. It can also hold my 70-200 and it has an extra space up top for misc non-camera items. Definitely need to get more memory cards.

Jonathan - the Canon 17-55 2.8 is on my wish list; however there are a few things ahead of it because my other favorite things to shoot are my boys sports which take place in dungeons (I mean ice rinks and school gyms!!)

DaveV- I'm going to rent a teleconverter next summer when I go back to Maine again; specifically so I can get my "dream" loon photo on my parent's pond. From what I understand the loons will have headed back out to the ocean for the season. I have seen quite a few bald eagles (they have a nest on my parent's pond) and it would be nice to capture them in action with a long lens. The photo below was taken right outside the cabin with my Tamron 18-270 (uncropped). If I run into a moose I will be so shocked I don't know that I could even press the shutter button - I've been going to the Acadia area for 30 years now and have never seen a moose. I believe they are more common in New England in the New Hampshire White Mountains and further north in Maine up by Baxter State Park and the Moosehead Lake region.

591358713_tNSGt-M.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!! :D

Stephanie
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    Not coming to the shootout but here is my take of remote control without spending a lot of money!

I have and like the Phottix® Cleon I - Wire/Wireless Remote C8 Set for Canon 40D 50D 5D 1Ds (the C8 fits and of the Canons that take the three hole connector). What I prefer about that model is the on/off switch is the type that slides rather than being pressed. I had a different brand previous to this one with the press type on/off switches and it kept getting bumped (even in a hard case that I adapted for it) while in my camera bag and I would find dead batteries! I have not looked up where I got it but I also got a couple of rechargeable CR2 batteries and a charger that looks like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-in-1-Charger-For-CR123A-CR2-battery_W0QQitemZ250346565980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBatteries_Chargers?hash=item3a49d1715c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

You might want to look at this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97456 from when I bought my Phottix from Team Speed.

Jane B.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Ann-
    Should a 'what to bring' thread be added to the list of links for the Shootout? I think it would be very beneficial - especially for last-minute packing and double checking.
    E
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    eoren1 wrote:
    Ann-
    Should a 'what to bring' thread be added to the list of links for the Shootout? I think it would be very beneficial - especially for last-minute packing and double checking.
    E
    It has been posted here in this specific thread

--reposted.
    :D Here are some threads that might help...

StuffJunkie's Glacier Shootout - woulda shoulda -if on thread

one of Andy's list

jdryan3's packing list and another one of his lists
    DaveV- I'm going to rent a teleconverter next summer when I go back to Maine again; specifically so I can get my "dream" loon photo on my parent's pond. From what I understand the loons will have headed back out to the ocean for the season. I have seen quite a few bald eagles (they have a nest on my parent's pond) and it would be nice to capture them in action with a long lens. The photo below was taken right outside the cabin with my Tamron 18-270 (uncropped). If I run into a moose I will be so shocked I don't know that I could even press the shutter button - I've been going to the Acadia area for 30 years now and have never seen a moose. I believe they are more common in New England in the New Hampshire White Mountains and further north in Maine up by Baxter State Park and the Moosehead Lake region.

591358713_tNSGt-M.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!! :D

Stephanie

Living so far inland, I guess I've never thought of where or when the loons go for the winter.
    If there are bald eagles around, I still think a tc will be a benefit to you.

This was with a 300mm and a 2X tc on a full frame camera.
    On your 40D, at 200mm and a 2X tc, we'd be around the same size in camera.
    465467228_hFES6-L.jpg

Seeing as you know the area very well, what kind of wildlife can we expect to see there?
    dave.

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    It has been posted here in this specific thread

--reposted.
    :D Here are some threads that might help...

StuffJunkie's Glacier Shootout - woulda shoulda -if on thread

one of Andy's list

jdryan3's packing list and another one of his lists

Thanks!
    Last time I post without searchingne_nau.gif
    E
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    davev wrote:
    465467228_hFES6-L.jpg

Seeing as you know the area very well, what kind of wildlife can we expect to see there?

Dave - what an awesome picture!! I still don't get how you guys get the pictures of these birds in flight, in focus, and correctly exposed. I plan on renting the 100-400 w/2x teleconverter next summer on my Maine vacation.

As far as wildlife - I'm really no expert. All of my experiences are in the summer (July/Aug). On the coast you can see seals every once in a while, they also lounge on some of the islands in Frenchman's Bay. If you go on a harbor cruise or whale watch, you are bound to see whales, porpoise, and seals. You can usually find some good tidal pools and actually one of the best places I have seen starfish is on the pier next to where the "Cat" (Nova Scotia ferry) docks. Our hotel is right next to it. I think the most common wildlife are the many different shore birds (cormorandts, gillimots, eiders, etc.) although I don't know their migratory patterns so I'm not sure what is around and what isn't. The puffins leave the coastal islands in August so you won't see them. There are definitely bald eagles & osprey. Peregrine falcons are nesting in Acadia, in fact two of the best hiking trails (in my opinion) are closed in July & early August due to the nesting. I'm not sure if it will be offered when we are there, but there is also a park ranger led bird watching program in the summer where I have seen quite a variety of different song birds. As I said before - I have never seen a moose in Acadia. There are beaver, fox, deer, black bears (not sure if in Acadia, but my mom has seen two when kayaking on their pond 20 minutes away from Schoodic Point (mainland Acadia).

Of course one of my favorites is the cooked wildlife - lobsters!! They make such a pretty picture on your plate.

Stephanie
    Dave - what an awesome picture!! I still don't get how you guys get the pictures of these birds in flight, in focus, and correctly exposed. I plan on renting the 100-400 w/2x teleconverter next summer on my Maine vacation.

As far as wildlife - I'm really no expert. All of my experiences are in the summer (July/Aug). On the coast you can see seals every once in a while, they also lounge on some of the islands in Frenchman's Bay. If you go on a harbor cruise or whale watch, you are bound to see whales, porpoise, and seals. You can usually find some good tidal pools and actually one of the best places I have seen starfish is on the pier next to where the "Cat" (Nova Scotia ferry) docks. Our hotel is right next to it. I think the most common wildlife are the many different shore birds (cormorandts, gillimots, eiders, etc.) although I don't know their migratory patterns so I'm not sure what is around and what isn't. The puffins leave the coastal islands in August so you won't see them. There are definitely bald eagles & osprey. Peregrine falcons are nesting in Acadia, in fact two of the best hiking trails (in my opinion) are closed in July & early August due to the nesting. I'm not sure if it will be offered when we are there, but there is also a park ranger led bird watching program in the summer where I have seen quite a variety of different song birds. As I said before - I have never seen a moose in Acadia. There are beaver, fox, deer, black bears (not sure if in Acadia, but my mom has seen two when kayaking on their pond 20 minutes away from Schoodic Point (mainland Acadia).

Of course one of my favorites is the cooked wildlife - lobsters!! They make such a pretty picture on your plate.

Stephanie

Don't rent the 100-400 with the 2X tc to use with your 40D. It won't focus well, if at all.
    You can try it with the 1.4X tc, I'm pretty sure that that combo will focus, but you may have to tape (cover) some of the "pins" on the tc so it doesn't report to the camera that it's there.

Shore birds would be fun, seals and whales, we don't see many of those in Minnesota.:D
    The 4 leggers are always fun to see, and I would love to get some shots of a fox. That's one of the many critters that I've always like seeing other's shots of, but have none of my own.

Seafood, I can take it or leave it, but I think Kate (my wife) is going to really like going to dinner.:D

We'll see you in a few weeks.
    dave.