DSS #33, getting an early start

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Allright, since my #32 submission stank, let's try this again.

The theme is "Movement". Well, nothing moves me like a good ride in the mountains. I used my Film Simulation Bracketing to try and get a mix of sensitivities in the camera, and here are the 4 best of today's attempt.

Please feel free to comment and critique, it's the only way I'll ever learn anything here. :D

643447238_zDsgz-XL.jpg

643448190_Hcf6V-XL.jpg

643447763_FnDxh-XL.jpg

643446738_58sps-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking, and please tell me what you love & hate about it.
Fuji X-S10
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nice early start. Of the four, I think the third one works best for me. Not totally sure this is the best expression of movement, however. The only motion-implying blur is through the wheel and on the immediate foreground. If there was some way to frame this picture with the bike in stop-action but the background blurred by motion, it would better express the movement. But I cannot immediately think of how you would do this while riding. (And I do not want to be responsible for you trying.) mwink.gif
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Yeah, getting these was hairy enough, and involved a tripod, bungee cords, and a bit of contortion to hit the switch when I wanted it.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    You know, you'd think that you'd see a whole lot of motion on these shots, but it's just not there except for a small area where the tire meets the gravel.

Um and I have to say SAFETY FIRST!!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Agree with the "safety first" comment!

I like the concept, but think it needs more motion blur in the pavement and either more detail in the bike or a more interesting silhouette of the bike components. For example, where the road shows through the wheel on #3 is good, but just not enough.
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    imo, just the fact the the picture was taken during a bike ride, already suggests 'movement'. The theme did not ask for a lot of movement :)
    edited September 9, 2009
    Don't worry, I won't risk my own skin just to get a picture... I was more concerned for the camera (which I just got 3 weeks ago) than myself, and picked this road specifically because it's not very busy. Pics were taken anywhere between 30 and 50 mph... more speed equals more blur, of course, and I think I'll study the settings a little more and try a re-shoot. I can extend the camera out more, at a slightly higher level (up 1.5 feet), but I'll need a remote usb trigger to make it happen at that speed. I can set up one shot at speed with the 10 second timer, but I want to be able to hit the trigger multiple times without stopping first.

Thanks for the comments so far! I really appreciate them.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

edited September 9, 2009
    Allright, I just ordered the remote trigger... we'll try this again next week with a better perspective of the bike and rider, hopefully.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Smithy wrote:
    Allright, I just ordered the remote trigger... we'll try this again next week with a better perspective of the bike and rider, hopefully.
    :lurk

Can't wait to see that one. :D
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Also the slower the shutter speed the more blur you will get. Have any neutral density filter? I just went and looked at the camera you are shooting I do not know if it takes those filters. But it should have shutter priority setting. Do be safe
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited September 11, 2009
    I have 3 Tiffen 67mm filters - a circular polarizer, a UV filter, and a warming filter (812). I've been running with the UV and polarizer on as a default lately.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    This was the only idea I had floating around in my mind. After seeing your results, I would tend to think

1. closer to the ground might be helpful: For trippy perspective.

2. Cannot help but wonder what it might look like having a car next to you shooting your shadow scooting across the pavement (Late Sun)? Or your well defined shadow blurring across some vertical rock surfaces??

~~Just thoughts~
    tom wise
    angevin1 wrote:
    This was the only idea I had floating around in my mind. After seeing your results, I would tend to think

1. closer to the ground might be helpful: For trippy perspective.

2. Cannot help but wonder what it might look like having a car next to you shooting your shadow scooting across the pavement (Late Sun)? Or your well defined shadow blurring across some vertical rock surfaces??

~~Just thoughts~

#1, maybe, but I think I'd try a passenger with me to hold the camera on a tripod and "fish" for the shot, which means then I wasn't the one to take it. Hard-mounting on a motorcycle means allowing for all lean angles for safe driving, and I'd hate to scrape off my rig.

#2 is easy to self-portrait, and is not all that uncommon over on the motorcycle forums. Catching your own shadow in the wheat, or on the rocks, or whatever, is a common theme from many ride reports. I'm looking for the shot that makes you say, "how the heck did he get that one?"
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    I agree with most of the comments here, a little more blur is needed, and try a time of day with a little more colour if possible, sometime earlier or later in the day, with a slanting, coloured light.

#1 is my favourite of these, because of the lean of the bike, I can imagine you starting to lean into the next bend, it implies the motion very well.
    Robinivich wrote:
    I agree with most of the comments here, a little more blur is needed, and try a time of day with a little more colour if possible, sometime earlier or later in the day, with a slanting, coloured light.

#1 is my favourite of these, because of the lean of the bike, I can imagine you starting to lean into the next bend, it implies the motion very well.

Thank you for your comments... and it was getting close to sunset here, but I can wat for a little more color on the re-try. I need to figure out how to force the exposure to be slower, too, at least a little.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Smithy wrote:
    Thank you for your comments... and it was getting close to sunset here, but I can wat for a little more color on the re-try. I need to figure out how to force the exposure to be slower, too, at least a little.
    I see you had your camera set to auto-exposure for this one, the mode that will work best for you here is "S" or shutter priority auto-exposure, this way you can set how long you want the shutter open for. Your #1 picture was taken at 1/480 of a second, which is pretty fast, and explains why there's not a lot of blur, with your camera set to S, dial it to a slower speed, even as low as 1/60 or 1/30, and try a bunch of settings. Have fun!
    edited September 13, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    I see you had your camera set to auto-exposure for this one, the mode that will work best for you here is "S" or shutter priority auto-exposure, this way you can set how long you want the shutter open for. Your #1 picture was taken at 1/480 of a second, which is pretty fast, and explains why there's not a lot of blur, with your camera set to S, dial it to a slower speed, even as low as 1/60 or 1/30, and try a bunch of settings. Have fun!

That's what I'm on the hunt for now, exposure settings. I have some ideas for night shots, too, that would benefit from better control over this.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs