Options

CS3 HDR merge issue

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited September 14, 2009 in Finishing School
CS3 is crashing when I try to merge three 50D .CR2 files. Never happened with my 20D files, so I'm guessing size has something to do with it. I can work around the problem by converting the source files to 16 bit TIFF, but I get a scold message saying that I will lose dynamic range by not using RAW. (Yes, dear, I tried that...:rolleyes). My question is, how much of a difference will it make in the results? Oh, and if anyone can tell me how to stop it from crashing, that would be even better. FWIW, I'm running CS3/ACR 4.6/WinXPpro SP3 on a ThinkPad T61 w/ 3GB of RAM.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 9, 2009
    I always feel silly answering my own questions, but hopefully this might help someone else in the future.

Got the answer on the Adobe forums. I had my PS memory allocation set to maximum. By lowering it to the top of the recommended range (around 70%) the crashes stopped. It is counter-intuitive that less memory would work better, but IIRC PS implements its own virtual memory scheme, and I guess it has problems at the limits. I also still don't understand why TIFF would work while RAW did not, given that internal representation ought to be the same once the files are in PS. But then, there's so much I don't understand...
  • Options
    TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    FWIW, I'm glad you answered your own question so that I now know. :D
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland