Options

Maine - Portland Head and Nubble lighthouses

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 10, 2009 in Landscapes
As I mentioned in another thread, the wife and kids are away so I hopped in the car for the quick 2 hour drive up to Portland Head lighthouse. I was intrigued by shots I saw here where others had managed to get below the lighthouse and onto the 'beach' area that is fenced off from above. Managed to find a very friendly station manager who pointed me to the right spot for hopping the fence. A careful scramble over boulders and I had arrived!

1. Portland Head from the 'normal' vantage point
643009350_E8mnp-L.jpg

2. And from the 'beach'
643900911_joRrA-L.jpg

3. Sea was just choppy enough to produce some great breaking waves
643902550_PyPes-L.jpg

4. HDR from the other side of the lighthouse - notice the people scrambling in the rocks below. Played with the color a lot in Photomatix and still not crazy about it.
643902932_u977W-L.jpg

5. Nubble lighthouse. A quick 1 hour drive back toward Boston and I had arrived at the Nubble lighthouse. That fisherman was nice enough to have positioned himself rather perfectly in the frame:wink
643905264_HrYNB-L.jpg

6. A bit of HDR magic to bring out the green moss
643904369_WxorQ-L.jpg

7. Sweet, sweet light
643905522_UEPqU-L.jpg

8. This one was made with the help of Marc Muench and Tom (Hawkeye978) who had posted a shot from here on the Muench University and gotten some great suggestions for a reshoot URL="http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1073979&postcount=123"]link[/URL. Hope you don't mind that I took the comments and ran with them:D
643906318_uNFgJ-L.jpg

9. And one last wider version
643905936_Xphcy-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Cool series, they work for me. :0)
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    It is nice to be so close to great subjects--and be able to go out and shoot them. It sounds like you had a great day! Oh, and some nice results also. I like #2 a lot because of the bird. The shot looks rather flat to me but capturing that BIF raises this shot to another level, IMO. To me, #5 is the best shot--I like the lighting and colors and softness of the water. It would be a very attractive shot in any event, but the bonus of the fisherman also raises this shot to another level--IMO it is OUTSTANDING! I do wonder, though, if you might crop out some of the bottom--the rocks don't add anything and a wider, more panoramic view (on my screen) works better for me. I cut it just at the tip of the big triangular rock. I really like #9, this time with the rocks in it. :D It's got the "sweet light" you found and the rocks seem to point towards the lighthouse, leading my eye right to it. Very attractive shot, I think.

Thanks for sharing an excellent series!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Thank you both for the comments.
    Lauren, I decided that the colors of the first few bothered me and just replaced them with a slightly warmer WB.
    Also, took your suggestion about the fisherman and reworked that crop:
    643996751_Z9JRm-L.jpg

Better???
    Thanks again,
    E
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    E-

I like the change in #2--the deeper blue sky gives a nice contrast to the bird and the lighthouse. I like the fisherman much better now--I'm anxious to see what others say so I will stay on the alert for updates to your thread. Keep up the good work!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Thanks again Lauren - I'm much happier with the WB now and the new crop.
    E
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Yup, You gotta hop the fence to get the good stuff!
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Very nice series overall. I to like #2, the seagull really adds to the whole compo.

I really like the #5 that you recropped, love the fisherman.

I think my fav is #9 (if it were cropped to remove the foreground rocks) I agree they don't really add to the compo. It must have been later in the day for this shot and the reflections in the water add a lovely touch. I also like the shutter speed used to slow the water down to a fogy milky consistancy.

Well done.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Hey E

These are great and get me thinking about October 6th! I land in Boston at 5 and my roomie and I are heading to the Portland Head Lighthouse vicinity then on to Bar Harbour the next day. Any tips?

Really love the colors in the Nubble Lighthouse shots.

Are you coming on the shootout? I hope so!

ann
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey E

These are great and get me thinking about October 6th! I land in Boston at 5 and my roomie and I are heading to the Portland Head Lighthouse vicinity then on to Bar Harbour the next day. Any tips?

Really love the colors in the Nubble Lighthouse shots.

Are you coming on the shootout? I hope so!

ann

Heck ya I'm comingwings.gif
    With a 5pm landing, I don't think you'll make even the Nubble light in time before the end of dusk. That one is only an hour north of me (so 1 1/2 hr from Logan). The Portland head one is further up.
    You may want to drive into the city and hit Fan Pier for some nice sunsets across the skyline ne_nau.gif
    If you do get to Portland Head in the light and you're up for the walk down to the 'beach', look for the boulder over the fence as your jumping over spot. Then head (gingerly) down the boulders for the much better vantage point.
    All I got for now. I'm planning on a leisurley drive up the coast starting early Wednesday.
    See you soon!
    E
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Beautiful series!!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Great series, E. Glad you could get to the lighthouses. I really like the perspective in #2 and 3. There is another way down that doesn't require hopping the fence. If you walk along with asphalt path that follows the cliff there are obscured openings in the hedges there. If you walk through and up you are on top of the cliffs and can scramble down to the 'beach'.

Great perspective on Nubble. I don't usually go that far over. I particularly like 7, 8, and 9 and especially 8 for some reason :D. I really like the wider versions too. I wonder how a little darker sky in 8 and 9 would look?
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great series, E. Glad you could get to the lighthouses. I really like the perspective in #2 and 3. There is another way down that doesn't require hopping the fence. If you walk along with asphalt path that follows the cliff there are obscured openings in the hedges there. If you walk through and up you are on top of the cliffs and can scramble down to the 'beach'.

No need to hop the fence??? Way to take away all the fun out of getting down to the beachmwink.gif
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great perspective on Nubble. I don't usually go that far over. I particularly like 7, 8, and 9 and especially 8 for some reason :D. I really like the wider versions too. I wonder how a little darker sky in 8 and 9 would look?

It can get slippery out on those rocks but is well worth it! Thanks for the Muench University discussion. I was literally reading it as I set up some of the later dusk shots.

E