Please bring back Window's uploader's error handling

TandemTandem Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited September 9, 2009 in SmugMug Support
The new Window's uploader lists errors but doesn't let me retry the upload with the file(s) that had errors. With the old uploader all I had to do is click upload again with the error list.

I use Comcast (sucks) and their internet slowdown software often causes glitches in the upload. I had 93 errors in my upload last night and with that many errors, the easiest way to fix it was to delete all the photos in the gallery and re-upload them. I need an uploader that can handle all of Comcast's dirty tricks.

PS: I know Comcast now calls its initial upload speed "turbo mode" and its slowdown speed(s) "normal mode" but it was designed and implemented to thwart internet file sharing and a pig by any other name...

Damn it! It's doing it again! Arghhhhhh!!!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Shizam is working on some new stuff for the Windows Simple Uploader. Stay tuned.
  • TandemTandem Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Thanks, Andy. You guys are the best!

In the meantime I'm breaking the upload into smaller chunks so I can keep my eye on it.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Tandem wrote:
    The new Window's uploader lists errors but doesn't let me retry the upload with the file(s) that had errors. With the old uploader all I had to do is click upload again with the error list.

I use Comcast (sucks) and their internet slowdown software often causes glitches in the upload. I had 93 errors in my upload last night and with that many errors, the easiest way to fix it was to delete all the photos in the gallery and re-upload them. I need an uploader that can handle all of Comcast's dirty tricks.

PS: I know Comcast now calls its initial upload speed "turbo mode" and its slowdown speed(s) "normal mode" but it was designed and implemented to thwart internet file sharing and a pig by any other name...

Damn it! It's doing it again! Arghhhhhh!!!
    Star Explorer has everything you ask for and has proven to be robust for me over the last four years. It has a persistent disk queue so that anything that doesn't get uploaded properly just stays in the queue and you can just hit upload again to give it another go with the ones that didn't upload. It also has configurable retry and configurable delay parameters upon error (for cases where the thing causing the error is a temporary condition).

If you want to do large unattended uploads, StarExplorer is well, well worth it. For a company who's business it is to get your images up on the internet, I'm amazed that Smugmug has never invested in making a bulletproof uploader that just did what you asked regardless of temporary glitches. I'm glad they are working on something now, but they've already had a couple revisions of the new uploader and they still don't seem to have the same objective of foolproof, unattended uploads that I would have thought they would have had from the very, very first version.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question