Point and Shoot DSLR-like help

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Cameras
I currently have a Nikon D80 that I absolutely love, but I'm looking for something a little smaller and more portable for quick trip for work. I don't want to take the D80 because of some of the places I have to go and I'm afraid it would either get broken or stolen at some point during the trip. With that, I've always had Canon point and shoots. I know, Canon and Nikon in the same house. I've found their point and shoots more intuitive than Nikon and they take great pictures. I am looking at this style camera:
http://www.adorama.com/ICASX10IS.html
I have looked at that specific camera and like the 10x optical zoom. I don't know that I would be happy with much less optical zoom to be honest. I'm open to all brands at this point, as I'm still window shopping. The video feature is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    I currently have a Nikon D80 that I absolutely love, but I'm looking for something a little smaller and more portable for quick trip for work. I don't want to take the D80 because of some of the places I have to go and I'm afraid it would either get broken or stolen at some point during the trip. With that, I've always had Canon point and shoots. I know, Canon and Nikon in the same house. I've found their point and shoots more intuitive than Nikon and they take great pictures. I am looking at this style camera:
    http://www.adorama.com/ICASX10IS.html
    I have looked at that specific camera and like the 10x optical zoom. I don't know that I would be happy with much less optical zoom to be honest. I'm open to all brands at this point, as I'm still window shopping. The video feature is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kris

Looks like a great camera. One of the things I wanted was to reduce size even further so I ended up with the G10.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I use a G9 for business trips. It also shoots RAW. The current version is G11, I believe.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I use a G9 for business trips. It also shoots RAW. The current version is G11, I believe.
    g11 isnt out yet.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Anybody else have any other opinions on the Canon and non-Canon models?

Kris
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    I had the S5 IS, which is the precursor to that model, and it was fantastic. I never had issues with white balance, the color rendition was generally spot-on. Start up time was fairly slow, but the manual modes were very useful. Macro mode was surprisingly useful. Overall it was very competent.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    The combination of the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS and CHDK is just about the best "deal" in current digicams. While the camera natively has a hot shoe, extending the competency of the camera in difficult lighting, CHDK adds RAW processing as well as unlimited time exposure.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX10
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    Ziggy - Do you have any experience with this modded firmware? It seems intriguing. I really liked the Canon, but this RAW addition is really making me like it that much more.

Kris
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    mud390 wrote:
    Ziggy - Do you have any experience with this modded firmware? It seems intriguing. I really liked the Canon, but this RAW addition is really making me like it that much more.

Kris

I don't have direct experience, but we have a number of users that do have experience:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=89828
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums