Do I need a Release or Not?

cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 9, 2009 in People
I have a photo opportunity tomorrow with the Governor of my state. Do I need a release or not? I'm trying to get some nice candid shots.

Thanks!

-carl

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    cbsnet wrote:
    I have a photo opportunity tomorrow with the Governor of my state. Do I need a release or not? I'm trying to get some nice candid shots.

Thanks!

-carl
    I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the requirement, or lack thereof, is driven more by the use to which the photo will be put than by the subject matter.

PJ and editorial use - no need for the release especially with public figures (like your Governor). With private citizens, it depends on where they image was made - was there any reasonable assumption of privacy on the part of your subject? If they were on a public street - you're in the clear without one. In their back yard? That's another situation completely.

Advertising - With private citizens, absolutely. With public figures - ne_nau.gif
  • cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the requirement, or lack thereof, is driven more by the use to which the photo will be put than by the subject matter.

PJ and editorial use - no need for the release especially with public figures (like your Governor). With private citizens, it depends on where they image was made - was there any reasonable assumption of privacy on the part of your subject? If they were on a public street - you're in the clear without one. In their back yard? That's another situation completely.

Advertising - With private citizens, absolutely. With public figures - ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the insight. This is a public figure in the state capital but not in a general public area.