Tried silhouette work last night

lisasolonynkolisasolonynko Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited September 9, 2009 in People
I decided to get to work on some silhouettes last night before it gets too cold. CC is really appreciated.

Lisa

644043440_bv8Sy-L.jpg

Comments

• goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I decided to get to work on some silhouettes last night before it gets too cold. CC is really appreciated.

Lisa

644043440_bv8Sy-L.jpg
    To cold?? Where are you from? Can you smell my jealousy? Here in south Texas its 90 degrees at NIGHT! cool shot I like the detail of them. I've tried to do these types of shots but was only sucessful with palm trees lol.
    Courtney
  • lisasolonynkolisasolonynko Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    To cold?? Where are you from? Can you smell my jealousy? Here in south Texas its 90 degrees at NIGHT! cool shot I like the detail of them. I've tried to do these types of shots but was only sucessful with palm trees lol.

Hi Goldilock... Well, I live in Canada. Brrrr. It will soon be way too cold to have people sit by the water and ask them to stay perfectly still while I capture them in such low light conditions.

Thanks for the comment. Have a great, hot, day!

Lisa
  • philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Beautiful. I love silhouette photography like this. Is the orange natural, or did you use a filter?

Philip
    edited September 9, 2009
    The orange is natural. It was right before the light turned blue. The orange light only lasted about 3 minutes, but I am glad I got it. I could have changed it to blue in LR, but decided to leave it as is.

Thanks for the comment.

Lisa
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I love that you were able to capture the interaction between them in silhouette. I can almost hear them talking, and the dog listening (look at his ears lol). What were you shooting with and what's your settings? I haven't done a silhouette yet, except with a point and shoot some time ago.
  • xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Nice. Personally I'd darken the silhouette more. On my monitor I can see a bit of the detail of the clothes. Thought it sorta looks like you tried with a square brush, dunno if it's my eyes bugging out or not though.

If you are using lightroom the "Adjustment Brush" with "Auto Mask" checked on makes it pretty easy to only darken the silhouette.
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
    edited September 9, 2009
    Hi marikris,

This was actually tougher on the people in the image than on me. I put them in possition and told them to "interact". The snag was that they had to hold each "interaction" really steady. The wildcard was the dog. It just so happened that he had his eye on something and he stayed perfectly still for that frame. All the others were a blur.

Exp: 1/6 sec at f/16
    Foc length: 87 mm
    Lens: EF70-200 f/4 (needed to be far enough away so the dog would relax)

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Lisa