Options

Autocross photos

Matt_cMatt_c Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 9, 2009 in Sports
Had a really rough outing this event. I am trying to help a friend learn how to shoot with his D60 but it has really distracted me from shooting, thus, I had less than a 10% hit rate. Even with the not-so-good 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 I typically have 40% of photos turn out, sometimes waaaay more than that.

Anyways, here are a few:
643721806_Rcrbx-L.jpg
642778959_EBegP-L.jpg
643350589_mKdUT-L.jpg
643722217_VoTHo-L.jpg

I shot as low as 1/40th and I don't think I went higher than 1/100th at any point in the day. I used a neutral density filter to help, but the combination of an already somewhat-soft lens and the filter have noticeably degraded the image quality.

However, I'll still get some crystal clear shots every now and then:
643721633_Md5Eh-L.jpg

I really need a new lens. Anyways, the whole gallery can be found here: http://www.oversteerphoto.com/Motorsports/Utah-SCCA/9557381_yp57q#642777675_qb9aY

I still can't believe the Miller Pace Car Cobra Mustang showed up, haha. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I can't pick between the 350Z and the Subiclap.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Matt_c wrote:
    I shot as low as 1/40th and I don't think I went higher than 1/100th at any point in the day.

That's why they're blurry. Your SS, are simply, too slow. Try again at 1/160, 1/250, and even above that. You'll still get wheel, and BG blur, and much higher keeper rate.

Btw, ditch the ND filter for these. Save it for landscape shots. That's assuming you spent alot of money on it. mwink.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    That's why they're blurry. Your SS, are simply, too slow.

But I LOVE the shots!
    Btw, ditch the ND filter for these. Save it for landscape shots. That's assuming you spent alot of money on it. mwink.gif

Was probably required to get shutter speeds that slow on a bright day.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Matt_cMatt_c Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    That's why they're blurry. Your SS, are simply, too slow. Try again at 1/160, 1/250, and even above that. You'll still get wheel, and BG blur, and much higher keeper rate.

Actually, the shots from the first card from the start, when I was using speeds up to 1/160, were almost all a wash. The overwhelming majority of the shots that came out were from after my friend had left, when I dropped to 1/40 to 1/60 for most cars. Being able to concentrate solely on shooting (...well, that and not getting hit) made an obvious difference.

For track days at Miller those higher shutter speeds have proven to be great, but autocross events hardly have subjects going beyond 60mph and some people need all the help they can get to look fast, lol.

I'm unsure if I'll be taking shots or racing next event, but chances are good that I'll be behind the viewfinder again. I'll try part of it without the ND filter and see what comes out best, but the hard part is that the surface can become incredibly bright, thus necessitating the use of an ND filter if I don't want f/stops in the 20+ range.

And thanks, Sexy6chick.
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:

I would agree with you Jim. Did you see my latest thread of the Merrick Car Rally. I shot them all at 1/160 as advised to do from my previous thread at the Pendragon rally where I was shooting at 1/50 and everything turned out blurred.
    Regards
    Bob