First time with a model

Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited July 4, 2005 in People
A few weeks ago I had my first photo shoot with a model. Frankly, neither one of us really knew what were were doing (both of us being amateurs). I told her to "pose" and she said "how?" Eventually we worked it out. This is one of the shots I took of "Frankie" for a 2006 calendar I decided to produce.

IMG_3064_large.jpg
This is my first post--sorry if the picture is too large. The idea of this shot was the 1940s. The jeep is a 1942 Ford GPW. The 22 yo model "Frankie" is wearing a 40s era swimsuit that I had made for the shoot. This picture was cropped and turned intto a BW. I was looking for an overall 1940s look (but not an aged look...like as if it were today) with a sort of girl next door look. Something like a photograph a WW2 GI would have carried of his girl back home. I have posted more at my website and those are in color. http://www.42fordgpw.com/frankie.html I think the BW are more effective.

Thanks.

Comments

• aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    nice job
    For someone who didn;t know what he was doing--you did a nice jpb.

I think the black and white is a great choice as well as the close-up crop. There is a bit of a glare from the window shield on the model's face--I don't know if it is intentional or not--in order to give her a glow.

A suggestion: Have the entire scene in black and white except for the red dress.

Nice smile and lovely face.

Keep up the great work

Michal
  • Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Thanks for the comments and the suggestion. The glare in the first picture was unintentional...forgot to use the polarizing filter (it was an overcast day and I was fooled). I think the filter would have help to keep skin tone from being whited out.

redhaltersuit_cropped.jpg
    Here's another shot where I did attempt the colorization. I left the red rather muted to perhaps look a little more like hand tinting. I think the single color added to the BW certainly ads to it. This is also a cropped pictured. While there was more to the "scene" before the crop it really didn't add any value. This shot didn't make the calendar set but I do like it

Bob N.
    www.42FordGPW.com
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    lovely shot
    Maybe it didn;t make the calender--but I think it is a wonderful shot. I understand your reasoning behind the crop. Here it is more of a portait which is subtle. The model has wonderful eye contact with the viewer (photographer) and the muted red is wonderful; compliments that old 1940's feel to it.

Lovely shot

Michal
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Bob
    Welcome to Dgrin
    Great photos and love the idea very nice
    Frankie looks perfect for the photos thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Thanks Fred. I'm encouraged by the results of the first shoot. So I have engaged a different model for the same theme. Just so you know I started as a jeep collector long before I recognized my interest as a photographer. Finished working on the jeep (if one is ever finished!) and the calendar idea just sort of popped in my head. Not sure what I planning on doing with the next set of photos and the new model. I think with these I will do some with 1940s civilian attire but then focus on having the young lady wear a military uniform -fatiques and work on the jeep, etc.