A Real Aviation Odd-Ball

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited September 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is the Lockheed XFV-1. This plane is the only completed one of its kind and is housed at the Sun'N'Fun museum in Lakeland, FL. It was conceived as a project for the Navy....who has always had an interest in VTOL ( vertical take off and landing ) aircraft. In normal operations, this plane would rest in a vertical position and take off going straight up. Note that it has two huge COUNTER-ROTATING props....necessary to help negate any torque effect that would throw the plane to the ground on take off.

It first flew late in 1953. Interestingly, it never took off in the vertical position. It could be fitted with a more standard looking landing gear ( a little more substantial than the one seen in this picture ) and all of it's test flights, about 50 in number, were made taking off horizontally. The thing was an deemed a flop and it's last flight was in 1955.

For my money, you had to have something made of brass to get in this thing and take off.

644270037_DEYQF-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Wow Tom,

That thing looks like an updated (sort-of) version of: Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines :D
    Also kind of looks like that toy rocket that we used to play with. Pump it up with water/air, let er' fly!

I'll use the phrase that you used on my antique snowmobile shot: Mesmerizing...
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Amazing what those guys at Lockheed came up with.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    How cool!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

What a great find and needless to say, really great image, just so clear and with beautiful colors, I may have to seriously look into one of those Tokina lens, it's really a solid performer.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Neat shot Tom...... I bet that plane was tough to land.... azzaro
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifOh yeah.... I carry that kind of brass around all the time. :D

Interesting craft. Would ya look at those silly assed castor wheels on the tail
    wings! headscratch.gif

Just reading up on this craft at this spot... more pics too.

http://www.456fis.org/CONVAIR_-_LOCKHEED_XFV-1.htm
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Randy,

You're dead on that this plane looks like some toy. It looks like anything but something I want to saddle up and ride. I've always considered myself to be an adventuresome pilot but....holy moly....I'm passing on that one.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited September 9, 2009
    Hey Andrew,

Kelly Johnson and his crew did some wonderful things with aircraft design in the Lockheed Skunk Works. They probably even learned a great deal with a flopper like this one.

Tom
    edited September 10, 2009
    Nikolai,

It is pretty cool to be able to go up and touch things that once were at the leading edge of major experimentation. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for the support. Yea, the old Tokina strikes again. You can probably guess from looking at the sky that I'm also using a polarizer..a circular polarizer, of course. It's really a mandatory piece of equipment when shooting all the cars and planes that I do. Got to keep all those reflections under control.

For those buying these helpful photographic aids...like polarizers....for the first time, it is very important to buy the very best glass you can afford.

Take care, Craig,

Tom
    Hi Azzaro,

I'm with you on that one....I can only assume it was real challenge to get this thing down in one piece.

Take it easy,

Tom
    Yo Michael,

I'm not surprised to know that you'd be one to tote some heavy metal around :D:D .

Thanks for the link to more info about this plane. They have quite a display built around this thing at its site within the museum. This is the first time I've seen it outside of the building it is usually in.

Take care,

Tom