More from the recent drive

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The other day I was out riding around looking for some old and interesting buildings, and these are a few of what I found. I was amazed at how some of these buildings were just abandoned, or forgotten. If you want to see the EXIF info, just click on the photo. Any and all C&C welcomed as well.

#1 An old abandoned garage.
644197319_DARhB-L.jpg

#2 Old vehicles sitting off to the side of the abandoned garage.
644197023_FHesG-L.jpg

#3 Abandoned house
644198277_PfL3e-L.jpg

#4 Another old house that is either getting torn down or about to be renovated.
644197673_yCeqv-L.jpg

#5 I thought this old barn looked kinda neat. Don't see too many like this one.
644198671_BU9pg-L.jpg

#6 Finally one for those who like the old rusty stuff! :D An old hay baler.
644196129_jLm3v-L.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Old is fun to photograph. I like the barn in #5 as I've never seen a barn like that before. Wonder what was kept in there as there is so many windows. Unless they thought each animal gets it's own view :D
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    Dogdots wrote:
    Old is fun to photograph. I like the barn in #5 as I've never seen a barn like that before. Wonder what was kept in there as there is so many windows. Unless they thought each animal gets it's own view :D

I am having fun just hunting for this old stuff! I think some of the people that end up behind me when I pull over to grab a shot think I'm kinda crazy! I think the barn you mentioned might have been a chicken farm years ago, but not sure. I'm thinking of playing with some of these further, and maybe trying a B/W conversion. The one that I got a laff out of was the old fire truck. Made me think of Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck if...you mow your grass and you find a vehicle!"

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I am having fun just hunting for this old stuff! I think some of the people that end up behind me when I pull over to grab a shot think I'm kinda crazy! I think the barn you mentioned might have been a chicken farm years ago, but not sure. I'm thinking of playing with some of these further, and maybe trying a B/W conversion. The one that I got a laff out of was the old fire truck. Made me think of Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck if...you mow your grass and you find a vehicle!"

GaryB

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I like that -- mow your grass and find a vehicle.

Chickens...hmmm. Never thought of that.

I know what your mean about people behind you when you pull over. I drive slow and ready to stop when I ever want to. People have already passed me by :D

When I was out front taking photos under our evergreen tree the neighbors had to come see what I was seeing rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 11, 2009
    I took the photo of the barn (from old chicken farm I believe) and did a B/W conversion on it. What does everyone think? Does this look OK? What can be done to make it look better?

645819177_JrsGX-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    BW works nice with this photo.

I'd straighten the photo first -- after that I might crop off some of the left side right where the electrical wire attaches to the barn. I know that sounds strange, but I like the feel it has when I moved the photo over on my monitor. You kind of know its a barn, but maybe its not. Which might make a person stop and really take a long look wondering "What the heck is this".

That's just my opinion tho and I'm no expert. As I'm sure my idea shows that :D Hopefully someone with more experience will pop in with what they think.
    Dogdots wrote:
    BW works nice with this photo.

I'd straighten the photo first -- after that I might crop off some of the left side right where the electrical wire attaches to the barn. I know that sounds strange, but I like the feel it has when I moved the photo over on my monitor. You kind of know its a barn, but maybe its not. Which might make a person stop and really take a long look wondering "What the heck is this".

That's just my opinion tho and I'm no expert. As I'm sure my idea shows that :D Hopefully someone with more experience will pop in with what they think.

Thanks for the C&C Mary Kim! It is much appreciated! To show that I take C&C seriously, I applied what you mentioned and then went just a tad further. I used the grid in the crop tool in LR and aligned the barn on the left front corner. It still looks a bit tilted, probably because of the perspective of a rather long building, but if you look at the bottom of the building, you can see it's on a slight hill. I then cropped in to the left front corner and the right front corner. While looking at that crop, I decided to crop down from the top, and up from the bottom a tad, to give it more of a square crop. What do you think? Did I go too far with the cropping? headscratch.gif

646137306_porYM-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    I like the crop on the left side. After I sent off my post on this I looked at the photo again and thought you could crop right after the window that's closest to the the wire or at the top peak on the left side. There are so many ways in which to do it. Then clone out the wire. Its all personal preference and what the photographer wants to show. Me..Im not a wire person. Wish they didn't exist when I'm out photographing rolleyes1.gif While that bothers me it may not bother you and that is fine. Everyone has their own little quirk and wires are mine :D

I would of kept the right side so the eye has a place to go to. The little building with the space you have after it lets my mind/eye move on, but not to far. Some people would clone it out. And that would work good to. As for the top of the photo -- I would of left the sky so the building doesn't look so squished down :D Bottom crop too. Thats my opinion tho. You need to do what you like -- thats what makes the photo show what you were seeing and what your trying to portray.

Its all in the vision really. I see a buidling that expands outward towards the field that lies beyond the smaller building. I get that feeling from the angle you took this photo :D Its vast and with the top left on along with the bottom it shows the vastness of the building. I wouldn't crop in like you did in the last posted photo. To me it takes away from the "vast" look.

Can you reshoot this? There is a lot of potentional here. Sometimes we get home and think...dang I should of done this after seeing what we did the first time. If you reshoot it maybe leave some space beyond the little building to give more room for the eye to go to.

This is all my opinion and the photo needs to be what you want. To me a photo is someone's inner thinking/feeling on what they are seeing :D

Oh...your first photo you have posted -- I saw that and I had to really look at it close because I took a photo of a building almost just like it last year. Only my building was in SD :D
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like the crop on the left side. After I sent off my post on this I looked at the photo again and thought you could crop right after the window that's closest to the the wire or at the top peak on the left side. There are so many ways in which to do it. Then clone out the wire. Its all personal preference and what the photographer wants to show. Me..Im not a wire person. Wish they didn't exist when I'm out photographing rolleyes1.gif While that bothers me it may not bother you and that is fine. Everyone has their own little quirk and wires are mine :D

I would of kept the right side so the eye has a place to go to. The little building with the space you have after it lets my mind/eye move on, but not to far. Some people would clone it out. And that would work good to. As for the top of the photo -- I would of left the sky so the building doesn't look so squished down :D Bottom crop too. Thats my opinion tho. You need to do what you like -- thats what makes the photo show what you were seeing and what your trying to portray.

Its all in the vision really. I see a buidling that expands outward towards the field that lies beyond the smaller building. I get that feeling from the angle you took this photo :D Its vast and with the top left on along with the bottom it shows the vastness of the building. I wouldn't crop in like you did in the last posted photo. To me it takes away from the "vast" look.

Can you reshoot this? There is a lot of potentional here. Sometimes we get home and think...dang I should of done this after seeing what we did the first time. If you reshoot it maybe leave some space beyond the little building to give more room for the eye to go to.

This is all my opinion and the photo needs to be what you want. To me a photo is someone's inner thinking/feeling on what they are seeing :D

Oh...your first photo you have posted -- I saw that and I had to really look at it close because I took a photo of a building almost just like it last year. Only my building was in SD :D

I could re-shoot this one on my next day off, if it would just stop raining! I had plans to shoot my first High School football game tonight, but the weather is just not cooperating! I got my fingers crossed in hopes that the weather clears up so I can get out and take some photos!

GaryB
    GaryB
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I could re-shoot this one on my next day off, if it would just stop raining! I had plans to shoot my first High School football game tonight, but the weather is just not cooperating! I got my fingers crossed in hopes that the weather clears up so I can get out and take some photos!

GaryB

Re-shoot it and see what you get. As for the football game.....bag your camera and take some photos even in the rain :D
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    Ya gotta wonder what stories these places could tell.thumb.gif